How to recover deleted files from the default memo/notepad app in Android KitKat?

A

AC Question

Ok so long story short, my phone was full of trash so I restored the factory version. Knowing that all my files would be lost and not trusting Google's services (yes yes I know), I decided to be "smart" and copy all the files from my phone to my laptop via USB cable. After I reset my phone, I decided it was pretty nice and clean and that I won't put any files from that backup on my phone, trusting that I would be able to access them whenever I decided I needed them.
The swipe, of course, involved wiping all the notes from the default memo/text app on my Galaxy Core. So I decided that, hey, no biggie, they must be hidden somewhere in one of the Android system folders located in the copy of all the built-in SD card files that I made on my computer. But, after searching frantically for them, I can't find them any more.
So, can you help me? Those memos were very important to me, there were a couple of poems that I wrote, many drafts and a few songs, and, as a creative person, I cherish my creations dearly, and I don't want them to be thrown into the void. Yes, I made a stupid mistake, but maybe I copied the memo app files and I just can't find them? Maybe there's some other way to recover them, like rooting my phone and using that MobiKin "deleted file recovery" thingamajig? I really need those files back. Can anybody please help?

thousandBerries

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Without root you'll probably have a very hard time.
I used the backup I had created with Titanium Backup to recovery my data.

It might help you search (in case the Memo data is on the SD chip) that the full Memo program title is:

com.sec.android.app.memo

If the data is not on the SD chip, you might have to root your old Fascinate to get to it.

Here's what I did:
Install Titanium Backup, get a backup of the Memo program, extract the files (Memo.db is the one you want) and use something like SQLite Database Browser to view/export your data.

If you're going to follow that route and need help, please let me know.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The data is kept on databases. Assuming you could restore Memo.db (which you probably can't after a factory reset), as thousandBerries said, you'd have to learn SQL, have the phone rooted and pull the memos from the database. Probably not worth the effort (unless you stored the combination to Fort Knox in the memo).