Get son tablet he asked for, or something better?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
My 8 year old son wants a new tablet for Christmas. He currently has an Acer A100 which is showing some age. He has asked for “a big one” like mine (Transformer Prime). He’s a good kid, and I’d like to get him what he is asking for, but I can’t spend $300+ for a new 10” tablet. I’ve looked on eBay for some used/refurb tabs like the TF300, but we are still talking in the neighborhood of $200. Either that or some off brand of questionable quality. Looks like I can pick up a Nexus 7 for less than that, which I would prefer to get him since it is a better tablet, but I don’t know if he will be happy with a 7”. Obviously you can’t guess what my son will or won’t be happy with, but let me know your thoughts on one vs. the other.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. i never buy refurbished electronics. i don't trust them. i always buy new.
2. i would get him no less than a 10" tablet since that's what he's asking for and the size will be immediately apparent and an immediate upgrade to his current 7" tablet. and the display is the #1 feature that you interact with.
3. i'm a big believer in Nexus devices but the 10 is outside of your budget.
4. have you see this at Staples? -

Asus Memo Pad ME102 10.1'', 16GB Tablet
Item: 310576 Model: ME102A-A1-GR
10.1" WXGA (1280 X 800) LED Backlight IPS panel, 10 finger multi-touch display
16GB Memory
Android 4.2

FREE SHIPPING, PLUS 5% BACK FOR REWARDS MEMBERS
In Stock Online
Expected Delivery:1 Business Day
FREE Shipping to store ( Learn More )

Reg : $279.99
Save: - $100.00
$179.99*
Each
*Price after savings

Asus Memo Pad ME102 10.1'', 16GB Tablet | Staples®

Last edited:

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Au contraire - ALWAYS buy refurd electronics. Whatever is going to go wrong already has, and had been fixed. You have a much lower failure rate because they test refurbs for the most common problems before sending it out again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. i never buy refurbished electronics. i don't trust them. i always buy new.
2. i would get him no less than a 10" tablet since that's what he's asking for and the size will be immediately apparent and an immediate upgrade to his current 7" tablet. and the display is the #1 feature that you interact with.
3. i'm a big believer in Nexus devices but the 10 is outside of your budget.
4. have you see this at Staples? -

Asus Memo Pad ME102 10.1'', 16GB Tablet
Item: 310576 Model: ME102A-A1-GR
10.1" WXGA (1280 X 800) LED Backlight IPS panel, 10 finger multi-touch display
16GB Memory
Android 4.2

FREE SHIPPING, PLUS 5% BACK FOR REWARDS MEMBERS
In Stock Online
Expected Delivery:1 Business Day
FREE Shipping to store ( Learn More )

Reg : $279.99
Save: - $100.00
$179.99*
Each
*Price after savings

Asus Memo Pad ME102 10.1'', 16GB Tablet | Staples®

Au contraire - ALWAYS buy refurd electronics. Whatever is going to go wrong already has, and had been fixed. You have a much lower failure rate because they test refurbs for the most common problems before sending it out again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I agree with gone down south on this. I buy a lot of refurb electronics and I have had WAY more problems with electronics I've purchased new (my Moto X I just got is going back because there is dust between the glass and the LCD and my 2 month old Seagate Backup Plus hard drive just failed). I cannot remember the last phone I bought new that I didn't have to exchange at least once for a hardware defect. Meanwhile, of all the refurb electronics I've bought, I have only had a problem with one (defective touchscreen on a Samsung Sereis 5 Ultrabook). I noticed it right away and got it fixed under warranty.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo