Pixel XL now or wait for S8?

shaidaz

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, Debating between Google Pixel XL 128 and the Samsung S8 when it comes out. Currently have a S6 which I love other than the God awful battery life and I think I'd like a bigger screen. It has a shattered screen (still functional for the time being) so in lieu of spending $200 on a new screen, I'm going to put it towards a new phone.

I've been on Android for a while, always on a Samsung though.

My needs are pretty basic:
Excellent camera
Long battery life
Plenty of storage
Quick responsiveness

Anything in particular I should consider in deciding what to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Pixel XL covers all your needs -- I am sure the S8 will but we don't know anything concrete about it at the moment. Just depends if you want a new phone now or if you are willing to wait and see.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, Debating between Google Pixel XL 128 and the Samsung S8 when it comes out. Currently have a S6 which I love other than the God awful battery life and I think I'd like a bigger screen. It has a shattered screen (still functional for the time being) so in lieu of spending $200 on a new screen, I'm going to put it towards a new phone.

I've been on Android for a while, always on a Samsung though.

My needs are pretty basic:
Excellent camera
Long battery life
Plenty of storage
Quick responsiveness

Anything in particular I should consider in deciding what to buy?

Thanks in advance.

If you need something now obviously the Pixel XL 128 GB - but of course that's if they're in stock, etc. The black 128 GB is in stock right now. Otherwise, S8 seems like it's a month or more away.

shaidaz

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
If you need something now obviously the Pixel XL 128 GB - but of course that's if they're in stock, etc. The black 128 GB is in stock right now. Otherwise, S8 seems like it's a month or more away.
No, I can wait since my phone is functional.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I think both choices are excellent; however, if you've always had and liked Samsung devices, I would wait for the S8 to come out before buying anything. See what it's like - look at reviews of the camera, battery life, etc - and then pull the trigger if you want to buy it. Also, waiting a few weeks post-release to buy a new flagship also means that the bugs that came out with the first few batches will at least be addressed, acknowledged, and/or worked on by the time you pick yours up.

Good luck, and let us know what you've decided!

shaidaz

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Pixel XL covers all your needs -- I am sure the S8 will but we don't know anything concrete about it at the moment. Just depends if you want a new phone now or if you are willing to wait and see.
Yeah, hard to know, right? And it sound like they're going to be pretty comparable price-wise.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree with @Almeuit. It depends if you need a phone now. Both devices should suit you well. I would personally say the Pixel. I have one and prefer that over my Note 5 based on the software alone.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Since you can wait, wait. I'd even wait for reviews to start trickling in for as many 2017 flagships as possible before saying Yes to anything. Though it's gonna be mighty tough for me to say No to any phone with a 6.2-ish-inch AMOLED display.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Pixel XL now or wait for S8?"

Wait for the S8. No point in forking out so much money for a Pixel, when the Samsung Galaxy S8 will be coming kind of soon.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

I've been on Android for a while, always on a Samsung though. My needs are pretty basic: Excellent camera ,Long battery life, Plenty of storage, Quick responsiveness. Anything in particular I should consider in deciding what to buy?

Thanks in advance.

As @Morty2264 said, i think no matter which device you choose, you will be getting a stellar performer. Since you have always been a Samsung owner, the S8 might be a better choice just because things will be very similar to what you have now and no additional learning is needed. :)

I do personally love Google Pixel XL. Stock Android and you get all the latest software updates straight from Google. Plus you can get a 128GB version for all your storage needs. The battery life is also fantastic.

Let us know what your decision is. The S8 is around the corner but the Pixel is here right now** :D

**Pending Stock Availability.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
If Samsung is what you have and enjoy then a Pixel will not do you much good, rather wait for the S8. You'd rather get a S7 Edge if you really need something now.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Always always always wait if you can, and then wait some more for all the bugs to be resolved. Eventually though you will reach a critical-mass point where you can stand your current phone no longer, at that time its good to jump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty