Bought my first N10, and gave up after multiple returns suffering from bad light bleeding.

Anoles

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Finally decided to give the N10 a try after hearing so many good things, and after reading a mountain of gleaming reviews. I love Android, and I've been using Android phones for roughly 4+ years now. I got my N10 at Staples, and my overall assessment is that I really like it. It's responsive, fast, easy, and I love the look and feel. The one thing that ended up ruining it for me was the infamous light bleeding. I've heard it's particularly bad on some N10s, but I figured, "It's too common on large IPS displays and such. I can live with some bleeding." Well, it wasn't a little. It was drive-me-nuts obvious. I took the 1st unit back and exchanged. The 2nd unit was even worse. I tried exchanging today, but they were actually all sold out. I opted for a refund, and now I'm playing the fun waiting game of said refund processing.

My question is: is there anything I can do to minimize this and get a new N10? Is there a way for these stores to check the manufacture date of a unit so I can opt for a very new build? Are some stores fairing better than others? I've seen dozens of displays, from every HTC phone I've had, to the many iPads at my office, and light bleeding like this doesn't seem to be so prevalent on other tablets/devices. It's a shame that an otherwise promising device has to suffer due to a problem that some basic QC could remedy.

Anoles

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with this device. If you want a recently manufactured model, probably buying directly from Google would be a good choice.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...t=true&feature=microsite&hl=en&token=gg4oIoaI

Was thinking of going this route. Just worried about returning it if the problem persists. With stores, at least I can go back up and exchange/return right away. But I have noticed that stores tend to carry older stock. How good is Google with exchanges and returns via the Play Store?

Anoles

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, I looked around and found their return policy. You have to pay for shipping and you have 15 days. Not too bad, but I think I am going to try at a different store before I go that route. I sense a return is likely in either case, but with the store I can at least do it quickly. Any other tips (specific stores or what not - even though it's somewhat arbitrary) to avoid this defect would be appreciated. It really seems like returned units with bad light bleeding are just packaged back up and thrown back into circulation, causing stores to wind up with older units being resold. Both my units from Staples were "new," but were charged to random extents, and had system dates of Oct-Jan.

Anoles

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Got a new unit today at Walmart. Bleeding is extremely minimal using bleed test app on full brightness. I may keep. My only concern is that the test app was already installed after I fired it up. It welcomed me with the new user wizard, and I booted it up with my Gmail account. Perhaps it downloaded it automatically when I opened the play store? I was worried someone else had it, returned it with that app still installed, but the setup wizard contradicts that. Any ideas?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Got a new unit today at Walmart. Bleeding is extremely minimal using bleed test app on full brightness. I may keep. My only concern is that the test app was already installed after I fired it up. It welcomed me with the new user wizard, and I booted it up with my Gmail account. Perhaps it downloaded it automatically when I opened the play store? I was worried someone else had it, returned it with that app still installed, but the setup wizard contradicts that. Any ideas?

I like your avatar.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app

Anoles

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Any ideas?

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

All apps previously downloaded from the Play Store are installed when you log in to the N10 with your Gmail account, unless you go in and affirmatively opt not to download a particular app. So obviously you had Backlight Bleed installed on your earlier N10s. Also, the seals on the box would be broken if this wasn't new.

Anoles

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been more active on XDA, but I wanted to provide a minor update to my situation. I am now without an N10, mostly thinking of waiting it out until I try again, and I went through quite a few. In short, very noticeable light bleeding seems to be an affliction that affects most N10s. If you can stand it, and aren't the least bit OCD, it's a null issue. Unfortunately, it bugs me too much. I ended on serial batch R32D3. I may try again once the next batch is out, if any number of units ship with consistently minimal bleed.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been more active on XDA, but I wanted to provide a minor update to my situation. I am now without an N10, mostly thinking of waiting it out until I try again, and I went through quite a few. In short, very noticeable light bleeding seems to be an affliction that affects most N10s. If you can stand it, and aren't the least bit OCD, it's a null issue. Unfortunately, it bugs me too much. I ended on serial batch R32D3. I may try again once the next batch is out, if any number of units ship with consistently minimal bleed.

Sorry about your OCD. I haven't noticed any bleeding on mine, guess I'm lucky.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am starting to notice a little bit of light bleed on the bottom right of my Nexus 10. Does anyone else have this? It seems like the most common spot for it to happen.

Posted via Android Central App