Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Default Re: -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

Well I've finally stuck it on charge, I've managed over 4 hours extra life since yesterday and I've really hammered it tonight trying to make it drain, either the reflash or the Map setting I turned off has done the life a world of good. If this is what I get every day then I'm a happy man :

[IMG]www.pjitsolutions.co.uk/pics/share/batt6.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]www.pjitsolutions.co.uk/pics/share/batt7.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]www.pjitsolutions.co.uk/pics/share/batt8.png[/IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Got the N4 two days ago. Yesterday was the first full day and I was less than impressed with the battery life. I didn't accurately track it, and of course I played around with it a bit. I had been reading this thread and was worried I would have the bad battery life others were seeing.

So I decided not to waste time and see how long I could go on a full charge. I charged it back to full and took it off the charger at 9pm last night. I turned off auto brightness and set it to low. That's the only change I made. I wanted to see if I could get 24 hours from a typical day, so I treated it like it wasn't new, only using it when I had a use for it - answering calls, sending and receiving texts, looking at new emails and occasionally sending an email, syncing two different accounts.

So far so good. It's been on battery for 22 hours and I'm sitting at 45% left. I could easily go 24 hours on a full charge. I'm pleased.

Tomorrow I am going to turn the brightness back up or back to auto and see if I still get a satisfactory 8a to 10p day.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by peejay1977 View Post
    Well I've finally stuck it on charge, I've managed over 4 hours extra life since yesterday and I've really hammered it tonight trying to make it drain, either the reflash or the Map setting I turned off has done the life a world of good. If this is what I get every day then I'm a happy man :

www.pjitsolutions.co.uk/pics/share/batt6.png
    www.pjitsolutions.co.uk/pics/share/batt7.png
    www.pjitsolutions.co.uk/pics/share/batt8.png

What do mean reflash and also what did you changhe with map settings? I really interested in this device but really looking to get some good battery life out the device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by rclifton View Post
    Actually as you can see by the screen shots provided you can in fact charge the phone without resetting the counters. I've owned one of my Nexus 4's since Nov 15th, tried different roms, disabling damn near everything, including setting brightness to zero and the best screen on time I have EVER seen was just past the 4 hour mark. Additionally there is nothing so drastically new in this phone that it renders experiences with other devices irrelevant as you suggest, and I'm confident in saying that in general 8+ hours of screen on time is pretty remarkable for most smart phones and closing in on utter BS when talking about the Nexus 4.
    I'm going to say impossible. I will let you know when I get my phone in a week or so. I guess if you turned off everything and used it without any data or wifi you may be able to get 6 hours. But 8 just is too much.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Switch to the note 2, best battery life ever. I am a very heavy user, have been working all day with full brightness and I am still at 62%. Sold my nexus 4 for this note could not be happier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    badbrad17 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    What do mean reflash and also what did you changhe with map settings? I really interested in this device but really looking to get some good battery life out the device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Read his posts in this thread

Wow once you starting playing some games on this thing the battery just disappears. Plague. Inc is fun though haha.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

10am off charger
    1:45am on charger
    battery was at 8%
    4 hours of screen time
    almost 16 hours

only things off are Google Now (don't need this feature) and NFC

not too bad today...juicedefender def made a big difference IMO
    Thanked by:

Agreed, I was draining about 10% battery life per 10 minutes in game at the lowest brightness >_<.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    Wow once you starting playing some games on this thing the battery just disappears. Plague. Inc is fun though haha.

ROM
    4.2 Stock

-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)--------battery-life-after-3-conditioning-cycles.png

Attached is my Battery life after doing 3 complete drainage conditioning cycles (Drain completely - leave off - charge completely) - not bad. I guess the one caeat here is though I am a moderate user - I don't game on my device; I really only use the phone when I have need (i.e. Mail, Browsing web at work, phone, check the temperature outside when I am working etc).

Oh and I don't have anything turned off (Service wise) except I changed it so that Google Now doesn't listen for "Google" to search; that and I guess I limited Google now to only search for files/services that I use (not Play Magazine, video, books) However I do use Google Music - and (Unfortunately) I am a heavy texter because all of my friends seem to prefer to communicate frequently that way. (Or Talk).

Quote Originally Posted by pawnageinc View Post
    Agreed, I was draining about 10% battery life per 10 minutes in game at the lowest brightness >_<.
    Yup definitely don't recommend gaming without a charger around. I went from 40% to 14% in about an hour while playing Plague Inc.

Well day 2 since reflashing and turning off the update location automatically setting in maps, and I'm pleased to say I'm still no closer to pinpointing which of the 2 changes made the most difference but currently :

79% remaining battery
    5h 56m since taking off charge
    22mins screen time (not alot I agree)
    Made 2 short phone calls, few texts, bit of web browsing, few emails, Whatsapp, Google+, Chrome, Facebook.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    Yup definitely don't recommend gaming without a charger around. I went from 40% to 14% in about an hour while playing Plague Inc.
    This is good to know. Guess my old Photon will become my gaming device as well as my back-up music/whatever device. Kids like playing on the phone way too much for me to let them use the N4.

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by peejay1977 View Post
    Well day 2 since reflashing and turning off the update location automatically setting in maps, and I'm pleased to say I'm still no closer to pinpointing which of the 2 changes made the most difference but currently :

79% remaining battery
    5h 56m since taking off charge
    22mins screen time (not alot I agree)
    Made 2 short phone calls, few texts, bit of web browsing, few emails, Whatsapp, Google+, Chrome, Facebook.
    I would try turning the update location setting back on in Maps for your next full charge and see how that impacts your battery. You have plenty of data with it off to compare to now. If that doesn't have any noticeable effect, then obviously something went screwy with the first update that you fixed by re-flashing.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    I would try turning the update location setting back on in Maps for your next full charge and see how that impacts your battery. You have plenty of data with it off to compare to now. If that doesn't have any noticeable effect, then obviously something went screwy with the first update that you fixed by re-flashing.
    Yep was my theory too, gonna try that tomorrow

Just going to add my stats to the mix...here's the stats for this following screenshot:

- Day 2, 3rd charge
    - Using to 0%, charging to 100% each time
    - GPS on, NFC on, auto checkin off
    - Brightness to auto
    - Gmail and Facebook push notifications on
    - No navigation, map usage
    - NO calls, 1 text message

To me, this seems absolutely ridiculous. The phone heats up like crazy and just drains battery like crazy. This battery loss is from sitting indoors in a conference room while barely using the phone at all. The only thing I can think of is that signal was poor, but I checked and this wasn't the case. This is similar loss of battery to what I've been experiencing over the last couple days.

Anybody have any input?? Should I send this back??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)--------screenshot_2012-12-06-09-29-13.png   -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)--------screenshot_2012-12-06-09-28-45.png  

I found my N4 does not go to deep sleep with some of the live wallpapers such as Snowfall live, even though Galaxy Nexus goes to deep sleep with the same wallpaper. I had constant battery drain, but with different wallpaper, it is considerably better.

Some other live wallpapers prevent N4 deep sleep are Blue Skies, aniPet Aquarium, Ocean HD, Jumpgate, EarthRot, Thunderstorm.
    Galaxy Pack works fine and goes to deep sleep.

I always turn live wallpapers off. They are cool to look at for a few minutes, but why waste the power on them?

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Live wallpapers - well-coded ones, that is - don't eat that much power.

I used Navigation on the drive in again this morning and it sucked down 25% of the battery in 35 minutes. Unreal.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    nickacs likes this.

Plain and simple if I just use WiFi no data connection, no cell service its fine as soon as I turn on phone service and data batteries dead within two hours... Nothings on no NFC no location no WiFi nothing no apps on and batteries dead, I have full bars and 19 down on 4g great service here so its not looking for signal but the battery dies as soon as I connect to tmo...

in Settings>Display>Sleep I have my Nexus 4 set to 1 minute, but for whatever reason my phone stays on until I manually turn it off. Am I doing something wrong? I just bought a tpu s-line clear case. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The power button does seem recessed lower than normal, but I may be incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    in Settings>Display>Sleep I have my Nexus 4 set to 1 minute, but for whatever reason my phone stays on until I manually turn it off. Am I doing something wrong? I just bought a tpu s-line clear case. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The power button does seem recessed lower than normal, but I may be incorrect.
    I powered it down all the way and it works like it should now.

InItRightNow, i you want help debugging your battery drain, download GSam battery, install and post screenshots of app usage. What you posted doesn't show anything. It's saying you lost 47% of your battery in 2 and a half hours from "screen, phone idle and Android OS" which I don't believe. The built in battery monitor is really not great about finding apps that are battery hogs, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by darthus View Post
    InItRightNow, i you want help debugging your battery drain, download GSam battery, install and post screenshots of app usage. What you posted doesn't show anything. It's saying you lost 47% of your battery in 2 and a half hours from "screen, phone idle and Android OS" which I don't believe. The built in battery monitor is really not great about finding apps that are battery hogs, unfortunately.
    These screens are from today, 3rd day of usage. Settings this time:

- Day 3, 4th charge
    - GPS OFF, NFC on, auto checkin off
    - Brightness to auto
    - NO calls, NO text messages

I've also noticed that the phone gets very hot very quickly, even while on standby in my pocket, and this seems to chew thru the battery much quicker.

I appreciate anyone's help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)--------screenshot_2012-12-07-10-15-16.png   -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)--------screenshot_2012-12-07-10-15-42.png  

Quote Originally Posted by InItRightNow View Post
    These screens are from today, 3rd day of usage. Settings this time:

- Day 3, 4th charge
    - GPS OFF, NFC on, auto checkin off
    - Brightness to auto
    - NO calls, NO text messages

I've also noticed that the phone gets very hot very quickly, even while on standby in my pocket, and this seems to chew thru the battery much quicker.

I appreciate anyone's help!
    Android system and System (wakelock) are way higher than on mine, I'd be inclined to make sure the settings are backed up, do a reflash with 4.2.1 like I did and install only the apps you need and see what happens. Mine's now lasting between 16 and 18 hours per charge when before it was shocking and I only made 2 small change, one being the reflash.

This is mine today :

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast