-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Same with my old iPhone, on the train to London the signal is in and out constantly and in the 3 hour door to door journey my iPhone ends up on 30% by the time I get there yet if I don't leave the house and use my phone lots it is a hell of a lot better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
On my bedroom nightstand, my old Palm Treo (Sprint, CDMA network) would often hunt for a very weak signal or drop into 1x mode and in the process burn up a fully-charged battery in a matter of a few hours.

I don't know if there is an equivalent on GSM phones which can cause the same result.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
turn off location tracking... it will improve your battery life... the only thing i can't understand is why battery drain when there is very low signal look at my screenshot

The phone uses a lot of power searching for a signal and or switching between 4g/3g/edge all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Here is one of many where I used my iPhone 5 strictly to read the web, text message, and read my email. That is what usage reflects in this screen shot. Stand by time is the time between charges.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/01/2ahynedy.jpg

In the one below, I had my sleep machine on during the night generating white noise in addition to the above throughout the day

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/01/vu2u4eda.jpg

There's a bug in iPhone usage that increases " usage time" even when not using the phone. I would leave my phone untouched after a full charge and then check the screen after a few hours and usage time would be 10-11 minutes. I calculated that over the course of 24 hours it would report 1-2 hours of bogus usage.

Usage stats from an iPhone are also very unreliable. You can't see how much screen time was. Biggest battery drain is screen time and bad network signal, neither of which you can show in iPhone stats.

Last edited:

Corwin Mhael

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm at 25 hours on and 3.5 hours screen time since charging and I've been playing with my nexus 4 constantly downloading and installing uninstalling games using auto brightness for screen. I've also been on my home Wi-Fi the whole time too though. Currently at 20%

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I woke up this morning to find my N4 at 11%(!!!) battery after 8 hours from a full charge WHILE I WAS SLEEPING! The screen was on 8 minutes, but the phone was awake over 6 hours IIRC. This was at home, where I've got plenty of bars and it was connected to the wifi. I've seen people reporting that HD Widgets cause problems and I saw that it was using battery even though no widgets were being used, so I uninstalled it. I was still sleepy when I was taking the shots, but it appears the Maps drain that has plagued my Nexus 7 since 4.2 is happening here, too.

This was my third night with the N4 and it only went down ~15% the night before in the same location. I don't think the problem with the N4's battery is on LG's side - there is clearly a software cause to this drain and I think it's a mix of OS and app bugginess. The problem is trying to spot the culprit when everyone has 100 different apps on their phones. Sorry for the huge screenshots - Tapatalk didn't give me the option to attach them smaller. :eek:

y4yhy9ut.jpg
u4adagud.jpg
a3epudag.jpg
yze4atem.jpg
utu4era6.jpg
a7evaveb.jpg
jazu6ape.jpg
5ysaqu8y.jpg

DJ045

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased the Nexus 4 to replace my HTC Sensation. Should be here in 4 to 5 weeks. These weak battery stories are starting to get me a little nervous. Hope I have not made a mistake.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Android Central Forums

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased the Nexus 4 to replace my HTC Sensation. Should be here in 4 to 5 weeks. These weak battery stories are starting to get me a little nervous. Hope I have not made a mistake.

It's not an absolutely TERRIBLE battery. But I was honestly expecting so much more and the drainage is unacceptable. If you are happy with 3 hour screen time, then you'll be glad you got it. I was expecting 5+. But there have been some people posting some amazing stats on this thread so hopefully you end up with a phone like theirs and not like mine which just lost 7 percent typing this paragraph.

Freshly_Snipes

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I came from the sensation to this phone also and your will not regret it. This trumps the Sensation's whole time in any ROM VERSION.

Steve_S_T

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I woke up this morning to find my N4 at 11%(!!!) battery after 8 hours from a full charge WHILE I WAS SLEEPING! The screen was on 8 minutes, but the phone was awake over 6 hours IIRC. This was at home, where I've got plenty of bars and it was connected to the wifi. I've seen people reporting that HD Widgets cause problems and I saw that it was using battery even though no widgets were being used, so I uninstalled it. I was still sleepy when I was taking the shots, but it appears the Maps drain that has plagued my Nexus 7 since 4.2 is happening here, too.

This was my third night with the N4 and it only went down ~15% the night before in the same location. I don't think the problem with the N4's battery is on LG's side - there is clearly a software cause to this drain and I think it's a mix of OS and app bugginess. The problem is trying to spot the culprit when everyone has 100 different apps on their phones. Sorry for the huge screenshots - Tapatalk didn't give me the option to attach them smaller. :eek:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/y4yhy9ut.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/u4adagud.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/a3epudag.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/yze4atem.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/utu4era6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/a7evaveb.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/jazu6ape.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/5ysaqu8y.jpg

Slightly off subject but on topic - my wife has an Orange San Diego which lost nearly 40% of its charge in 10 to 12 hours today with no usage at all. After a quick look at the battery stats I also conclude that Maps is the most likely source of the high battery usage. I just turned off the GPS to see whether that helps at all.

Steve.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Remember the screen is large, meaning it will use a good amount of battery life, so keep Ur brightness low (when u can)

sjsmr2

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 4 lasts me all day long. Usually get just a bit over 3 hours of screen on time when I am really using the device. On a normal day when I am working I can send dozens of Google Talk messages and texts as well as a couple 10+ minute phone calls and when the device goes on the charger it usually has about 60% remaining.

Daf L

May 5, 2010
Visit site
3G/4G will use a lot more battery life than WiFi. Low signal areas will use a lot more battery than full signal. Background activities, especially using data or GPS will use battery life. The large screen with high brightness (on 'auto' during the day the brightness will be high) will use loads of battery. But that is why you have the phone - it has a bright, large screen, can multi-task, run background apps and is very thin.

The iPhone has a tiny screen, limited multi-tasking & background apps.

Don't sweat the small percentage jumps either. Battery life at the 1% scale isn't accurate - it relies on calculating minor voltage drops. Otherwise the guy saying he had 1% drop after 4 .5 hours on an iPhone 5 would be getting almost 19 days battery life!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It's not an absolutely TERRIBLE battery. But I was honestly expecting so much more and the drainage is unacceptable. If you are happy with 3 hour screen time, then you'll be glad you got it. I was expecting 5+. But there have been some people posting some amazing stats on this thread so hopefully you end up with a phone like theirs and not like mine which just lost 7 percent typing this paragraph.

I just don't understand where u got the idea this phone would get 5+ hours of screen on time? Its a top of the line phone with an average size battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Well since nobody addressed it, as I said, many people who updated to 4.2 on a Nexus 7 or a Galaxy Nexus have also reported battery problems, including slow charging. What are the chances that the Nexus 4 has a software communication problem with the battery versus just being the battery itself?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm inclined to believe this is a software, not hardware problem. Many people report their Nexus 7 suddenly becoming a total power-sucking battery killer after 4.2 and I was one of them. When you use a device for several months, you have an innate sense of how long it should last and when a drastic decrease in performance comes in the wake of a software update and you see Maps gobbling a ton of power when you never even opened it, it's obvious what the culprit is. The problem LG and Google have is that the quality of the phone is being called into question by a software bug. The perception that the N4 is so power-hungry that you may lose your job if you rely on it as an alarm clock (because the thing died while you were sleeping) is setting in and that's a disaster, regardless of the cause.

What's odd is how some people are reporting great battery life with normal use and no extraordinary steps taken to conserve power while others are watching their gauges drop like rocks. As many have noted, it's insane to by the power powerful feature-packed smartphone available and then have to turn off everything to get it to last more than 12 hours. We shouldn't have to need to remember to turn this or that on or off depending on location or time of day or whatnot. We should be able to charge it and go for a reasonable amount of time with EVERYTHING RUNNING. The GPS shouldn't be sucking power unless we're doing something with it; the Phone process shouldn't be waking it up 7000 times; wifi shouldn't be showing as on constantly when I've got it set to only stay on when sleeping if it's plugged in and power optimization on. We shouldn't have to use Juice Defender and GSam to track down what's killing our phones in the night in order to spend days on the Internet looking for solutions.

A "bad battery" in the sense of a defective component is one thing; this is 99% likely to be software-related and whatever Google did to break things with 4.2 needs to be rolled back STAT!

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well since nobody addressed it, as I said, many people who updated to 4.2 on a Nexus 7 or a Galaxy Nexus have also reported battery problems, including slow charging. What are the chances that the Nexus 4 has a software communication problem with the battery versus just being the battery itself?

I can believe that
My N4 takes FOREVER to charge on the wall charger but seems to charge faster in my car
30% at 1am when I went to bed and woke up at 6am and it was still charging at 92%
awful

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Turn off those battery gauges that count down % by % . They're not particularly accurate and they just make you fixate on the battery, killing it faster by waking the phone up to check every couple of minutes.