Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

Default Re: Adreno 320 vs Mali MP4? S4 Pro Vs Exynos

Quote Originally Posted by aggie99 View Post
    The AT&T One X which he has, has the S4/adreno 225. The International has a tegra GPU. The AT&T One X+ has a tegra. Like Kevin says, Riptide GP is a great game to show off the difference of gaming on a tegra device and devices with another GPU. Looks exponentially better on my Nexus 7 than it does on my Note 2, however, also like Kevin said I wouldn't buy a device just because it had a tegra GPU. It definitely helps that I have a Nexus 7 which I do most of my gaming on, but on a phone sized screen I don't think the difference is drastic enough to be a deal breaker either way. I went with the Note 2 simply because I have more screen real estate and ultimately that will make the phone a better gaming device for ME than a little better graphics performance. I've yet to encounter anything my Note 2 couldn't handle with ease. I'm sure the same can be said for the Nexus 4/Adreno 320.
    But I assume too that any GPU is capable of what the tegra does its just added features for marketing right? I mean I really doubt the note 2 couldnt do the extra effects from the Riptide game. They just dont include those so its extra incentive to buy a tegra based device.

Global Posts
    758 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    But I assume too that any GPU is capable of what the tegra does its just added features for marketing right? I mean I really doubt the note 2 couldnt do the extra effects from the Riptide game. They just dont include those so its extra incentive to buy a tegra based device.
    That's a good question. With the way the Note 2 handles anything I throw at it, I'd at least like to see the tegra version of Shadowgun or Riptide run on it. I don't get into benchmarks a whole lot and don't know how the benchmarks of the two compare, I'd like to see how the two compare in real world situations. I've been very impressed with the Mali GPU and can't imagine that it couldn't run the Tegra version of Riptide just fine. I would think the N4 could as well.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's a good question. With the way the Note 2 handles anything I throw at it, I'd at least like to see the tegra version of Shadowgun or Riptide run on it. I don't get into benchmarks a whole lot and don't know how the benchmarks of the two compare, I'd like to see how the two compare in real world situations. I've been very impressed with the Mali GPU and can't imagine that it couldn't run the Tegra version of Riptide just fine. I would think the N4 could as well.
    The closest I can get to explaining it would be the driver differences on a PC, but on the hardware side of things. Where nVidia might optimize it's drivers to allow a game to perform better on its hardware on the PC, it allows devs to code specifically for its GPU on mobile devices.

The Note 2 could probably handle it all, too, but may or may not support all of the necessary instructions that are being called by the app. In reality probably any new high-end phone could, since the Tegra GPU isn't really all that powerful in comparison anymore.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I can not. I did the side-by-sides myself a long time ago, back when Tegra 2 was around. But it makes sense that it wouldn't be the same, since what you're doing is essentially adding an emulator layer into the mix.

I know a good one to try is Riptide GP. I played it on my AT&T One X (not with Chainfire), and then the Nexus 7. Night and day. I haven't messed with Chainfire in at least a year, and while it stands to reason that it has improved, nothing can be as good as native support for the code.

Of course it also makes sense that with these brand new chipsets that they actually have enough overhead to make up the difference, but I can't confirm or deny that at all, since I don't own a device with an S4 Pro.
    Riptide GP using chainfire 3d on S3:

Riptide GP on Nexus 7 Tegra 3:

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    Benchmarks never tell the whole story. That said, I thought everyone realized the N4 has such low scores due to benchmarks not being optimized for Android 4.2. Compare the Note 2 to the Optimus G (which puts up 7000+ on Quadrant if you care about such things).

Nexus 4 CPU & GPU substantially outperform the hardware from the Note II, not even worth discussing.
    The real world gaming test where Nexus 4 is not outperforming Note 2 rather Note 2 is out performing Nexus 4:

Separate videos:

Another one:

Who said Nexus 4 beats Note 2 in GPU? That's a joke right? In 4-5 days time I am getting my Nexus 4 and I can more real world comparison myself. Performance wise Note 2 CPU is still the best in android platform.

That's correct. It is just a marketing crap nothing else.

I have attached the Mali GPU video (s3) running Tegra version of Riptide GP. I can not do it on Note 2 because Note 2 has jellybean and Chainfire 3D is not support which helps emulate Tegra games. This is marketing crap nothing else. Other videos of Tegra 3 games using chainfire 3d:

Galaxy on Fire 2

Max Payne (When the video was made Max Payne was optimized for Tegra 3 but now I believe they are same)

GTA 3 (You can not get some of special effects with Tegra 3 on this game but using chainfire 3D can unlock them like the steel strip over the car tyre more detailed car etc)

Sonic 4 Episode II (When this video was made, this game was only available for Tegra 3 devices)
    Thanked by:
    aggie 

Tegra 3 is just a marketing crap. The only good thing about Tegra is that all Tegra games are properly optimized for the hardware so they work and look good however Tegra 3 (as the hardware itself) is a below par CPU and GPU. The GPU performance is even less than Mali 400 and Adreno 320 is even more better than Tegra 3.

Quote Originally Posted by saadi703 View Post
    Who said Nexus 4 beats Note 2 in GPU? That's a joke right? In 4-5 days time I am getting my Nexus 4 and I can more real world comparison myself. Performance wise Note 2 CPU is still the best in android platform.

Everyone but you?

But oh man, a YouTube video of someone playing NFS.

You've won your case.

/sarcasm

Everyone but you?

But oh man, a YouTube video of someone playing NFS.

You've won your case.

/sarcasm
    It is not by someone. He is my friend and he has both devices. I have hands on experience with both.

Also I meant CPU not GPU. CPU in Note 2 is better whereas GPU in Nexus 4 is better but real world gaming experience tells that Nexus 4 does not have any real advantage over note 2 in gaming. This is not the only video. My friend also played GTA Vice City on Note 2 and Nexus 4 and again Nexus 4 was lagging a bit whereas note 2 was smooth as butter. If you want then I can provide you the links.

I am not here to win cases. The OP asked which one is better so I tried to give him the correct answer first by uploading benchmark results and people said that benchmarks does not matter and real world tests matters more. So when I upload real world gaming experience video then you are showing sarcasm. Tell me then what is right way to show someone what is the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    In terms of glbenchmark which tests gpu, the adreno 320 is faster and performs better than the Mali but isn't significant. Cpu there isn't rreally much difference

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    Thats correct

Thats only rendering, it doesn't test real performance of a cpu, geekbench is the proper way to test this as the results aren't that different not like quadrant where one time you will get a score 2x higher than the last. Game loading, web browsing, and game playing is the only way your going to test how a cpu and gpu perform

You are correct again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre-dawn raid View Post
    My Nexus4 scored 59.2 fps using NenaMark2 which pretty much pegs out the meter. So I would say that the Adreno 320 GPU will serve you well for years to come with respect to Android gaming. I'm noticing zero lag/stutter when playing some of the more graphic intensive games. I have no experience with the Note2 but I'd fare to say that either phone would be a good choice and this point.
    International S3 scores the same on NenaMark2 but I don't think even S3 GPU will serve for years to come with respect to android gaming.

Actually the best gpu is what's in the iPad 4, it's got the next generation gpu after the iPad 3. The iPad 4 has the new power vr 544 which is also quad core, has better memory within the gpu, higher clock speed and if I'm right it has a newer architecture than the iPad 3 and adreno 320

Yes iPad 4 has the best GPU there is no doubt about it.

Benchmarks never tell the whole story. That said, I thought everyone realized the N4 has such low scores due to benchmarks not being optimized for Android 4.2. Compare the Note 2 to the Optimus G (which puts up 7000+ on Quadrant if you care about such things).

Nexus 4 CPU & GPU substantially outperform the hardware from the Note II, not even worth discussing.
    Antutu 3.0 is optimized for 4.2 and it clearly show that CPU score is way less than Exynos in Note 2. Even the ram score is low. The only thing where Nexus 4 shines is the GPU performance but GPU performance alone can not guarantee good gaming experience in the long run. So far there is no single android device which is good for gaming. By good I mean best experience possible for that game otherwise old phones are still running the newer games in crappy graphics resolution and effects.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  

Antutu 3.0 is optimized for 4.2 and it clearly show that CPU score is way less than Exynos in Note 2. Even the ram score is low. The only thing where Nexus 4 shines is the GPU performance but GPU performance alone can not guarantee good gaming experience in the long run. So far there is no single android device which is good for gaming. By good I mean best experience possible for that game otherwise old phones are still running the newer games in crappy graphics resolution and effects.
    It shows the CPU is less than the S3 with the S4 non pro too. You think thats optimized? I certainly don't. It shows the ram slower too. You think that the ONLY area the Nexus 4 surpasses the S3 is the GPU but it has everything superior? Makes no sense.

It shows the CPU is less than the S3 with the S4 non pro too. You think thats optimized? I certainly don't. It shows the ram slower too. You think that the ONLY area the Nexus 4 surpasses the S3 is the GPU but it has everything superior? Makes no sense.
    Then why I am not seeing the gaming performance? Why note 2 is doing better in gaming performance? Whats wrong? Go check google play store for antutu and according to Antutu it is optimized for 4.2. For your info I am pasting their whats new text below:

What's in this version:
    v3.0.3
    - Fixed Wait a long time for verify network time.
    - Fixed crash when benchmarking on some device.
    - Fixed some UI display bug.
    v3.0.2
    - Full support multi-user feature on Android 4.2.
    - Display CPU core number in benchmark information.
    - Lock screen orientation on benchmarking to avoid some error.
    - Fixed submit page display twice on first time submit scores.
    - Fixed crash on some device.
    v3.0
    - New OpenGL ES 2.0 3D benchmark for 3D game performance test.

Talk about real world gaming performance. Today I get the chance to Play Modern Combat 4 on Nexus 4 and it was running smooth but I noticed some effects were missing at the start up screen as well as in game effect. On the other hand I have the same game on Note 2 which it also runs smooth but with all those effects that are missing on Nexus 4 gaming. Developers turn off effect some for the devices which can not handle those effect. If you want I can give you the video links.

Some days back I played Nova 3 on Nexus 4 which it was running smooth but again some effect were missing like Depth of Field etc. Whereas Note 2 has those effects and still runs the game even smoother. Nova 3 was specially updated for Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 back in november and it was not a matter of none optimized game.

You can not deny the real world performance. In games Note 2 does exhibit better performance which says something. Where note 2 shows better result in benchmark people say that benchmark is not optimized for 4.2 (although it is updated for 4.2) and where Nexus 4 shows better result i.e. GPU they do not say that the benchmark is not optimized for android 4.2 :-) They just simply say that Nexus 4 has better GPU. The truth of matter is that Nexus 4 has nice GPU but CPU is not stepped up from before which can support a nice GPU and also the ram is not speedy. I have checked Nexus 4 has dual channel DDR2 ram at 533MHz instead of 1066MHz (source Phone Arena website). I hope now you get it why Nexus 4 does not get good score in ram as well.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

Talk about real world gaming performance. Today I get the chance to Play Modern Combat 4 on Nexus 4 and it was running smooth but I noticed some effects were missing at the start up screen as well as in game effect. On the other hand I have the same game on Note 2 which it also runs smooth but with all those effects that are missing on Nexus 4 gaming. Developers turn off effect some for the devices which can not handle those effect. If you want I can give you the video links.

Some days back I played Nova 3 on Nexus 4 which it was running smooth but again some effect were missing like Depth of Field etc. Whereas Note 2 has those effects and still runs the game even smoother. Nova 3 was specially updated for Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 back in november and it was not a matter of none optimized game.

You can not deny the real world performance. In games Note 2 does exhibit better performance which says something. Where note 2 shows better result in benchmark people say that benchmark is not optimized for 4.2 (although it is updated for 4.2) and where Nexus 4 shows better result i.e. GPU they do not say that the benchmark is not optimized for android 4.2 :-) They just simply say that Nexus 4 has better GPU. The truth of matter is that Nexus 4 has nice GPU but CPU is not stepped up from before which can support a nice GPU and also the ram is not speedy. I have checked Nexus 4 has dual channel DDR2 ram at 533MHz instead of 1066MHz (source Phone Arena website). I hope now you get it why Nexus 4 does not get good score in ram as well.
    1066 is 533 you talk like you know hardware but you don't know that? Its called DDR for dual data rate this 1066.

1066 is 533 you talk like you know hardware but you don't know that? Its called DDR for dual data rate this 1066.
    Lolz. I am comparing both DDR rams and Nexus 4 only has 533Mhz instead of DDR 1066 so no need multiply by 2. If you want to multiply by 2 then do for both as both are same ram technology but clock speed is half in case of nexus 4. Hope you get it.

It seems that you never wanted to listen an honest answer rather you just wanted to hear that oh Nexus 4 has the CPU and GPU and it has the best hardware. Sorry can't say that. I do not want to go off topic otherwise I could compare the complete hardware vs a flagship android phone and show weaknesses but I do not inclined to do so because first of all it is not the topic and second; you do not seems to hear the truth judging from the way you are taking my responses. Anyways, I tried my best to explain and do whatever you feel like. I only wanted to help but one can only help if the other guy is open to listen. Seems like you have already made up your mind but I wonder why ask this question on forum when you have already made up your mind? Only to listen yes from everyone that oh nexus 4 is best?

Anyways, good luck. I am getting mine within 3-4 days as it is was shipped yesterday from USA to me. I would keep note 2 as well and compare for a week and then sell the one that I do not need. I know I am going to miss way too much after Note 2. I did the same with iphone 5 (I had note 2 at that time). I bought iphone 5 as well and kept both note 2 and iphone 5 for a week and at the end I figured out that note 2 has too much to offer as compared to iPhone 5 so I sold iPhone 5. I am going to do the same here and let see what happens.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #72  

Lolz. I am comparing both DDR rams and Nexus 4 only has 533Mhz instead of DDR 1066 so no need multiply by 2. If you want to multiply by 2 then do for both as both are same ram technology but clock speed is half in case of nexus 4. Hope you get it.
    Yes it is multiplied by 2 are you dumb? You expect me to listen to you but you don't know something that simple?
    Thanked by:
    FYourProblems likes this.

Oh little trolls!
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Optimized for 4.2 isn't the same as optimized for Nexus 4. The CPU and GPU are superior in every way to what's in the Note 2. Quad-core cortex A9-based Exynos with Mali-400 gpu. This is old architecture. Devs have had time to optimize and get everything they can out of it.

Quad-core Armv7 instruction set-based Snapdragon S4 Pro with Adreno 320 gpu. Brand new architecture. Not enough time to have properly optimized for this newer architecture.

I don't care about benchmarks. I don't care about your videos. This thread is about which is superior hardware. In that area it's clearly the Nexus 4.

The difference is software. You're comparing pure AOSP which has no tweaks done to trick benchmarks, no tweaks to improve performance in any particular area at all, vs. software that samsung has tweaked in MANY ways to squeak every last bit of performance out of it's older hardware. Kudos to Samsung for that, but it doesn't make the hardware superior.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by 3:
    Lanhoj likes this.

Yes it is multiplied by 2 are you dumb? You expect me to listen to you but you don't know something that simple?
    Now you are calling me dumb where as you are the one who is not understanding this stuff. I am saying that both numbers are dual channel ddr so if you say 533 is 1066 then 1066 dual channel ddr is equavalent to 2133. Nexus 4 has only 533 mHz dual channel DDR instead of faster 1066 MHz dual channel DDR and you continue to say both ram speeds are equal how ignorant you are. You do not seem to know simple math that if you multiple one ram by 2 then why not second by 2 as well. Nexus 4 has slow ram and this is why getting low score on ram.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast