Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Default Re: About to get throttled -TMobile

I have a genuine question about the prepaid plans. Why would you opt to pay $60 for unlimited /(2GB unthrottled) from T-Mobile directly when Solavei is $49 for unlimited / (4GB unthrottled) on the same network?

When I was comparing plans I couldn't justify the extra $10/month for half the 4g data - even if I never use it. Is it concerns about customer service, or are you not comfortable with Solavei being new?

Since it's all prepaid I saw it as no risk - if I'm not happy I can always switch providers. So far I've been very happy. (Of course, I'm coming from Sprint so that could have something to do with it.)

Even if you have no interest in the Solavei referral program, I think it's a pretty good deal. Sure makes that $60 plan look expensive to me.

I'm always fascinated by what drives these types of decisions. I understand the appeal of the $30 and $70 plans, but not the $50 or $60.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.

Quote Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
    I have a genuine question about the prepaid plans. Why would you opt to pay $60 for unlimited /(2GB unthrottled) from T-Mobile directly when Solavei is $49 for unlimited / (4GB unthrottled) on the same network?

When I was comparing plans I couldn't justify the extra $10/month for half the 4g data - even if I never use it. Is it concerns about customer service, or are you not comfortable with Solavei being new?

Since it's all prepaid I saw it as no risk - if I'm not happy I can always switch providers. So far I've been very happy. (Of course, I'm coming from Sprint so that could have something to do with it.)

Even if you have no interest in the Solavei referral program, I think it's a pretty good deal. Sure makes that $60 plan look expensive to me.

I'm always fascinated by what drives these types of decisions. I understand the appeal of the $30 and $70 plans, but not the $50 or $60.

I have read that there are issue with Solavei and Google Voice. And I really need GV to work since I use it for my small business and personal.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    For just a few dollars more you could have unlimited no cap everything.... oh, and with a 2 year contract.

But really, I do not see any problem with a 2 year if you are not tied to a subsidized phone for the contract period.
    For $70/month you can have unlimited everything with no throttling and without a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    I have read that there are issue with Solavei and Google Voice. And I really need GV to work since I use it for my small business and personal.
    That's fair, and the type of answer I'm looking for.

FYI The issue with Google Voice is a cosmetic one (but could certainly be important to the running of a business.) Calls appear twice in the standard call log. A zero length one to the number dialed followed by one to the Google exchange number for the actual length of the call. The call log in the GV app still masks this - and doesn't show the exchange number. The standard call log can look cluttered - the GV one looks normal. It doesn't bother me, but I'm not running a business.

I've contacted customer service about this and they are aware of it. They claim it is limited to the Nexus 4 - which I find strange. They say they are working on it - in all honesty I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ask me about Solavei.

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

Why would you opt to pay $60 for unlimited /(2GB unthrottled) from T-Mobile directly when Solavei is $49 for unlimited / (4GB unthrottled) on the same network?
    I think there could be a lot of reasons. People don't want to change their number (even if not an issue they might not want to deal with the hassle of porting). They might be happy / comfortable with T Mobile. When the N4 first came out it wasn't available on Solavei without a workaround (only what I read -- I could be wrong). They might not need or use the data 4GB of data. Older customers might not even know the difference between 4GB and 2GB of data and terms like throttling. It is hard to get people to try something new. None of these are real satisfactory answers but it is just the way it is. (Cute dog picture by the way).

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Some say T-Mobile customers get network priority over the others. Have no idea if there is any truth to that. Go smart does give priority though.

http://m.androidcentral.com/gosmart-...e-availability

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    For $70/month you can have unlimited everything with no throttling and without a contract.
    It's $55 with a 2 year.

Edit: actually, that's with my small biz value plan. I think it's close to the same for personal.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    (Cute dog picture by the way).
    Thanks, that's River. She's a sweetheart.

What you said is certainly true of the general public. I was more curious about people here who I expect to do more research about what's available, and to be more technically savvy.

Ask me about Solavei.

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

On the $30 plan you don't get throttled til 5GB.

It's $55 with a 2 year.

Edit: actually, that's with my small biz value plan. I think it's close to the same for personal.
    How do you qualify for the small biz plan?

Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Some say T-Mobile customers get network priority over the others. Have no idea if there is any truth to that. Go smart does give priority though.

http://m.androidcentral.com/gosmart-...e-availability

Do you know anyone who has gone with GoSmart? I hate the way they advertise "high speed data." You have to read the fine print to see they mean 3g only - no 4g.

Ask me about Solavei.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Do you know anyone who has gone with GoSmart? I hate the way they advertise "high speed data." You have to read the fine print to see they mean 3g only - no 4g.

No I don't. I thought about switching to them until I saw it was 3G only. I'll stick with monthly 4G for a few bucks more. Still way less than what I was paying Verizon.

Thanked by:
    ConTejas likes this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

It's $55 with a 2 year.

Yeah, you probably have some sort of discount or promotion. On a 2-year contract Value plan, it's also $70, and on a 2-year contract Classic plan, it's $90.

Well, if Solavei is having problems with Google Voice, then that's one big detractor. I run Talkatone on mine, and don't see the need to spend $45 when I can spend $30 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    Well, if Solavei is having problems with Google Voice, then that's one big detractor. I run Talkatone on mine, and don't see the need to spend $45 when I can spend $30 a month.
    That all depends on what you consider problems. I'd rather have the cosmetic issue Solavei has, and have conditional call forwarding so my sim number goes to GV voicemail. It works better for me with GV than T-Mobile prepaid would. Other people have different priorities.

That $30 plan is a great deal - I just couldn't make the 100 minutes work. I tested GrooveIP and couldn't get good enough results away from wifi. Did you try both GrooveIP and Talkatone?

Ask me about Solavei.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

With Sprint you can use data all day and you probably won't hit 500mb by the end of the month... lol
    runtmms likes this.

How do you qualify for the small biz plan?

I have a small biz in good credit standing - just bring your tax ID with you when you sign up! Can't beat $55/month (plus taxes) for unthrottled uncapped everything. If you plan to tether, they do not technically allow that for anything unlimited. For the same price I think, you can get 5GB and full tether allowances.
    Thanked by:

That all depends on what you consider problems. I'd rather have the cosmetic issue Solavei has, and have conditional call forwarding so my sim number goes to GV voicemail. It works better for me with GV than T-Mobile prepaid would. Other people have different priorities.

That $30 plan is a great deal - I just couldn't make the 100 minutes work. I tested GrooveIP and couldn't get good enough results away from wifi. Did you try both GrooveIP and Talkatone?
    GrooveIP is WiFi only unless you pay for it. Mind you, the audio quality sounds fantastic, but the thing that stops me is I've had more complaints from the remote end about audio quality and echoing, and so that really dissuades me from considering it.

Talkatone, on the other hand, hasn't really given me any issues that I wouldn't have had with straight cellular voice. That is, if I'm somewhere with good signal strength, it's fine. If the signal strength is poor, or signal reception is intermittent, then not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    With Sprint you can use data all day and you probably won't hit 500mb by the end of the month... lol
    Meaning no disrespect, but the logic of this sentence makes absolutely no sense to me. I think this month so far I'm up to... *goes and checks T-Mobile's site* 2.1GB of data used out of a total of 5GB of unthrottled data. I'm like 2/3 of the way through my monthly plan, and that 2.1GB represents talking, Google Play streaming, YouTube video streaming, surfing the web, email, etc. Why would I want to spend another $50/mo (which I don't have to spend, anyway) when I don't need to?

i think your high speed download limit is 5Gb and not 500MB
    relax you have 4.5GB left

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by mat jonson View Post
    i think your high speed download limit is 5Gb and not 500MB
    relax you have 4.5GB left
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong. If you're right why would anyone get the plan that's $10 more and only has 2 GB of 4G data?

well i have worked for pccwireless, the master dealer for T-mobile and let you know these companies know how work
    just look the amount of commission it pays to dealers here
    and these dealers can sell plans you might think not practical.

well i find your question interesting
    as you said if its prepaid then its safe

Thanked by:

Reason for my choice to stick with Tmobile and not go prepaid......They want me as a customer and they show it in a big way, I live in an area with exceptional 4g signal, I live in an area where the towers get updated before others(LTE due in my area in few weeks), Theres quite a few Tmobile stores in my area(anything I need I am local to them), Customer support for all my devices with insurance, Call forwarding is a very important bonus to me, I pay $149.84 per month for 4 lines(INCLUDING ALL TAX) I have 2 Nexus 4's(from Google Playstore) 1 Samsung Galaxy 10 tablet, 1 HTC MyTouch Slide 4g, my plan is unlimited talk/text/4g data(no throttle) for all of the above.....My last and final reason, I just simply have no desire to go to any other provider, yes I am in a 2 year Value Plan but do I care ? Nope I dont because I dont plan on leaving them and I have one helluva package.

Pretty soon Tmobile will be all prepaid anyways.....

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I just got throttled on the 30/month plan after a WEEK of usage. I managed to use 5gb in 7 days. But here are my before and after speeds for people worried about their awful speeds after.

I use a nokia lumia 710 which is NOT a LTE device but does support HSDPA+ and my speeds:

BEFORE THROTTLE: Download: 18.69mbps Upload: 3.83mbps (Watch 720p youtube with ease)
    AFTER THROTTLE: EDGE Speeds Download: 120KBPS Upload: 3.96mbps.

They didn't thottle my upload speed just like cricKet and Virgin Mobile.
    It is awful to go from those speeds to EDGE. Ugh. Cant wait for the 1st!!

An extra $10 will get you 2.5gig total. Do it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12