charging your nexus 4 with 2amp?

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
The standard charger I have is a 1.5 amp. Is okay if I charge with a 2amp or 2.1amp charger without causing battery problems? Will it charge faster? If anyone has tried this I'd appreciate the info :)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, the Nexus 4 does accept 2/2.1A input without issue. All of the chargers I use are rated as such, as are my car chargers. I have not tested them against a 1.5A charger to see if it is faster, but it should be, yes. Don't worry much about using a charger that the N4 isn't rated for; most phones and tablets will only draw as much as they can from a charger.

Theoretically, a 2.1A charger would charge the Nexus 4's 2100mAh in one hour, but realistically you're looking at more like 1.5-2.5 hours for a charge depending, obviously, on the charger (brand as well as amperage).

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Oh okay because my n4 charger is 1.5 a and it chargers's in like 3 hours maybe 3 and a half. Takes forever. And then my friend said I should get a note 2 charger from amazon and said it would charge my phone a lot faster than what I have now. Thanks for the info:)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The standard charger I have is a 1.5 amp. Is okay if I charge with a 2amp or 2.1amp charger without causing battery problems? Will it charge faster? If anyone has tried this I'd appreciate the info :)

The OEM charger you received was 1.5A? I'm almost certain mine was shipped with a 1.1A charger (got it back in December). I wonder if they changed it...

As to a 2A or 2.1A charger, it will certainly charge it. The only concern I would have would be that if the N4 draws on the higher available current to charge more quickly, it may lead to faster wear on the battery. Whether or not that presents a concern would depend on how much of an actual impact this would be, along with how long you anticipate owning the phone.

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Well I plan on owning it for a year and a half. And I can't really find any 2.1 amp chargers anywhere on amazon so I was thinking about purchasing a galaxy note 2 charger. You think that would work?

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
You might be able to find a cheaper one also.

Remember the BlackBerry playbook had a 2.1amp charger stock and there is a rapid charger from BlackBerry also that has a 2.1 output.

I currently own a BlackBerry smartphone and a playbook but the playbook chargers charge my 9900 bold in half the time.

Sent from my game boy color

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Understand that the current rating is basically irrelevant, as long as the voltage is within tolerances... the device PULLS current, it is not pushed into it... if somehow you had a 500 AMP USB charger, it would still be safe to use with the Nexus or just about any other USB device (there are some misbehaved devices though), and it would happily pull it's 1-1.2A with no issues.

There are much greater dangers using an under-rated charger though, they can potentially damage the device or charger if they do not report to the device that they are not capable of what it is trying to pull. Using a cheap 500ma charger is within specs of USB, but if it doesn't report to the phone that it can only do 500ma the phone will continue to try pull 1000ma and potentially overheat and burn out the charger, or even worse, damage it and cause it to fall out of specs and over/undervolt the device, causing the device to become defective.

The point is, use a quality charger with at minimum 1.0A rating and you will be in good shape, exceeding the 1.0A rating will not harm the device, but it will not cause it charge faster either. A 3A charger will charge at the same rate as a 1.0A rated charger.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Understand that the current rating is basically irrelevant, as long as the voltage is within tolerances... the device PULLS current, it is not pushed into it... if somehow you had a 500 AMP USB charger, it would still be safe to use with the Nexus or just about any other USB device (there are some misbehaved devices though), and it would happily pull it's 1-1.2A with no issues.

There are much greater dangers using an under-rated charger though, they can potentially damage the device or charger if they do not report to the device that they are not capable of what it is trying to pull. Using a cheap 500ma charger is within specs of USB, but if it doesn't report to the phone that it can only do 500ma the phone will continue to try pull 1000ma and potentially overheat and burn out the charger, or even worse, damage it and cause it to fall out of specs and over/undervolt the device, causing the device to become defective.

The point is, use a quality charger with at minimum 1.0A rating and you will be in good shape, exceeding the 1.0A rating will not harm the device, but it will not cause it charge faster either. A 3A charger will charge at the same rate as a 1.0A rated charger.

Not quite correct. If the charger can only provide 500ma, then the phone will take forever to charge. The higher the capacity to provide current, the quicker the phone will charge, up to the phones max charging rate, which is controlled by the phone.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Not quite correct. If the charger can only provide 500ma, then the phone will take forever to charge. The higher the capacity to provide current, the quicker the phone will charge, up to the phones max charging rate, which is controlled by the phone.
Correct... I did not make that point clear, thanks for pointing it out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch