New phone. Suggestions please.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I want a phone for a long term use though, for like umm 2-3 years at least. So should I go for Nexus 4?

Absolutely. The Nexus 4 has a great CPU/GPU, 2 GB RAM a pentaband 3G radio and Nexus updates. It is pretty future proof. It will get any updates well in advance of anything except the next Nexus devices which are not out yet. Google is subsidizing the price and it gets you the most for your money.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. The Nexus 4 has a great CPU/GPU, 2 GB RAM a pentaband 3G radio and Nexus updates. It is pretty future proof. It will get any updates well in advance of anything except the next Nexus devices which are not out yet. Google is subsidizing the price and it gets you the most for your money.

I wouldn't say that Google is subsidizing the price. They just offer it at a discount. Subsidizing the price means there is a trade off. With the carriers, it is locking into a contract. With Google, you just get the awesome price.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say that Google is subsidizing the price. They just offer it at a discount. Subsidizing the price means there is a trade off. With the carriers, it is locking into a contract. With Google, you just get the awesome price.

So, after all my patient research and objective answers to the OP's continuing questions, your contribution to the thread is to quibble over semantics? Really?

Try some research for yourself... https://www.google.com/search?q=nex...514,d.eWU&fp=cce3560d70fd2cb&biw=1366&bih=681

There is a trade off. Google gets developers excited to work with pure Android. There is much goodwill with consumers who are tired of paying for 2 year contracts to get an attractive price for a new device. Google gets media exposure portraying them in a favorable way.

Trade offs aside: subsidy has a clear and standardized definition aside from the practices of any who use the term to describe their polices (such as mobile carriers in the US whose "subsidies" actually cost the consumer more in the long run - another area where you might want to put in some research... https://www.google.com/search?q=nex...514,d.eWU&fp=cce3560d70fd2cb&biw=1366&bih=681).

At base: a subsidy is one entity paying part of a cost to lessen the financial obligation to the end user. How is the $349 USD cost of a 16GB Nexus 4 not subsidized? It is a static and (semi)permanent price point. A continuously running, uninterrupted "discount" is a subsidy. This is not a sale price that will go away after a deadline.

Armaan8134

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Is the Nexus 4 good for gaming? Will it run all the top games like NFS, GTA, etc smoothly at the highest settings?
I heard about the Nexus 4 getting heated up alot due to intense gaming. After how many hours does it get very heated up? Will a case or cover do the job?
Is the Nexus 4's camera good? And what's the difference between IPS display and the Full HD one?
Htc one x is better or the Nexus 4? Which one of it will be good for a long term use, around 3-4 years?
Are the speakers of Nexus 4 good?
Please reply.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's the side by side: HTC One X vs. LG Nexus 4 E960 - GSMArena.com

Note that for convenience I'm calling them LG and HTC - just as shorthand to represent the models asked about - not to make statements about the entire companies or their product lines.*

For the screen I would call it a tie... I'm not sure that there is a difference between "Super IPS" and "True HD IPS" other than marketing lingo. LG does have a few more pixels and slightly higher pixel density.

HTC has up to double the internal storage.

LG has double the RAM which will help with memory intensive 3D games.

LG has double the H+ data speed.

LG's Snapdragon chipset seems to run better than the HTC's Nvidia: https://www.google.com/search?q=Nvi...0.57j0l3j62l2.3788j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 which will also enhance intense gaming.

Camera is a tie hardware wise. HTC probably has an edge with camera software.

The HTC is 6 months older than the LG and was released with ICS. It did get an upgrade to JB @ 4.1.1, but that will probably be it for speedy updates as HTC focuses on newer models. The LG is a Nexus and the Jelly Bean Flagship. It has the latest @ 4.2.2. Will get the next 4.3 rather quickly and is almost assured of running Key Lime Pie (or whatever the next version is called).

Check the many threads around here about the heat issues with the LG. I've not felt too much heat, but I'm not really gaming on my phone. Complaints are most likely just cosmetic (the feel of the back of the device) and not any actual overheating of the CPU. I have looked in and seen my CPU is running well within temperature limits. It helps to have a custom kernel with controls to tweak settings, but I have the impression you are a stock user.

Speaker issues? That I can't say anything about. There are always headphones if you find the speaker lacking. On my LG I find the speaker fine for YouTube videos and such. I use headphones for anything I really want to hear.

* Just, you know, for those who choose to read things in a severely literal fashion so that they might start pointless arguments to make themselves feel smart.

Armaan8134

May 23, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by Kernel? I know it's very stupid to ask but Idk much of this stuff. I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Ace S7500.
Will the Nexus 4 be good for another 3-5 years? Like get all the updates which would be released, etc.?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Is the Nexus 4 good for gaming?
It has an excellent Quad-core CPU and a large amount of RAM. It should run any high end game well. Or at least as well as any other high end phone.

I heard about the Nexus 4 getting heated up alot due to intense gaming.
All phones do that. It will also chew through battery life like candy.

Will a case or cover do the job?
You will want a case. It is fragile and slick.

Is the Nexus 4's camera good?
It is decent. It's macro mode is excellent, but it does not do well in low light. It has fewer artifacts than other cameras I have used.

And what's the difference between IPS display and the Full HD one?
IPS is just a type of LCD (as opposed to AMOLED, the other standard). As LCD displays go, it is at the top IMO...the only one that might beat it is the HTC One. As for the difference between 720p and 1080p, it is almost zero. Even tech nerds will be hard pressed to tell the difference. That being said, more is never a bad thing.

But the Nexus 4's display is among the best I have ever seen. despite being LCD, it has very deep blacks, but I can still see it clearly in direct sunlight while wearing sunglasses. The gradients look completely smooth to me and the color reproduction is accurate.

Htc one x is better or the Nexus 4?
Nexus 4 is definitely better than the One X, IMO.

Which one of it will be good for a long term use, around 3-4 years?
The Nexus will still be getting OS updates long after people have forgotten the one X even existed.

Nexus Devices will always take priority for Google OS updates. They will get updates before anyone else. Most non-nexus vendors rarely continue to support their phones after one or two OS updates.

Are the speakers of Nexus 4 good?
Decent. The HTC One (not to be confused with the One X, which is a phone from last year) has better speakers. But the nexus is as good or better than anything else out there.

Octaviannn

May 23, 2013
Visit site
You should go for the nexus 4 because it has automatic updates from google, and you could use it for a long time. It has 2 GB ram, and a 4 x 1.5 or something like that processor... It supports games, top games. I hav eplayed now nfs mostwanted and ironman 3, they have a good graphic, and the nexus supports them really good.
Oh and no, there is no difference between them, both have NFC and many other options like the black one

Posted via Android Central App