Help with N5

Vlosaloty

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I just came from a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 got tired of their high prices so I went to straight talk instead today. So far in my 6 hours of use with the phone im extremely pleased with its performance. Anyways im just now trying to set everything up but is there a way to set your speed dials? I cant seem to find where its at and how to set it if you even can. Also is there something I can do in the hangouts like if I send a text to one of my buddies it doesn't automatically make him use hangouts? Sent a text to him and he was like mad it didn't send to his stock text app. Will I have to just use another text app to fix that problem?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just came from a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 got tired of their high prices so I went to straight talk instead today. So far in my 6 hours of use with the phone im extremely pleased with its performance. Anyways im just now trying to set everything up but is there a way to set your speed dials? I cant seem to find where its at and how to set it if you even can. Also is there something I can do in the hangouts like if I send a text to one of my buddies it doesn't automatically make him use hangouts? Sent a text to him and he was like mad it didn't send to his stock text app. Will I have to just use another text app to fix that problem?

Long press any empty spot to create a widget. Then you can create a contact shortcut.

Hangouts probably can only send to Hangouts. You can get Google Voice. That acts like a texting and voicemail application. Or you can download any other texting app like Textra.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I make a folder full of my frequently called contacts, and that's my Speed Dial. I recommend using the Direct Dial widget, since that is a one-touch call. The Contact widget may require more than one tap, because it will prompt you to select a phone number (while Direct Dial is specifically for only one phone number).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Regarding Hangouts--make sure you send the SMS message to your friend's cell phone number, not his Gmail or Google+ contact. When you select someone to start a New Hangout, look for the little "SMS" symbol next to your friend's phone number. If you select one of those, it will be sent as an SMS text message, and I believe that should go to their native text messaging app, rather than Hangout. (Of course, if your friend has a Nexus 5, which only has Hangouts and no stock text messaging app, it will show up as a new Hangout, but will actually be SMS.)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Regarding Hangouts--make sure you send the SMS message to your friend's cell phone number, not his Gmail or Google+ contact. When you select someone to start a New Hangout, look for the little "SMS" symbol next to your friend's phone number. If you select one of those, it will be sent as an SMS text message, and I believe that should go to their native text messaging app, rather than Hangout. (Of course, if your friend has a Nexus 5, which only has Hangouts and no stock text messaging app, it will show up as a new Hangout, but will actually be SMS.)

I made that mistake before. Didn't realize it and wondered why a friend hadn't responded more than a week later... Realized it was sent as a Hangout, which he doesn't use or check.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699