Preference of "Gallery" app vs "Photos" app?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
What do you guys and gals use? Has there been any news on whether Google will be going with the Photos app in the future or sticking to the Gallery app?

Just curious what people use and if there's any development on this on Google's end.

I personally prefer Gallery. It's just easier to use -- it loads the folders first instead of the "All" photos in the Photos app; it's easier to scroll through (faster, too, cause the preview images are smaller in Gallery); it's easier to share (I love the dedicated share button at the top in Gallery that changes depending on what app you've recently been sharing to); and lastly, for whatever reason, cropping in the Photos app is buggy whereas it's flawless in Gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Gallery" app vs "Photos" app

I think Photos is fine. QuickPic is definitely a nice 3rd party gallery, but Photos doesn't bother me enough to install a separate app.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I think Photos is fine. QuickPic is definitely a nice 3rd party gallery, but Photos doesn't bother me enough to install a separate app.

I am not even familiar with any app named "Photos". But even without seeing it I would place a bet it doesn't understand many layers of nested directories.

So what is it??

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Photos is directly tied into Google+, it seems to be a shortcut to the photos section of Google+. Gallery is the stock photo viewer.

Posted via Android Central App

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I am not even familiar with any app named "Photos". But even without seeing it I would place a bet it doesn't understand many layers of nested directories.

So what is it??

If Google + is disabled, " Photos" will not show in your app drawer.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

If Google + is disabled, " Photos" will not show in your app drawer.

By golly you're right! Nice.

I do wish I could make it go away when I share photos in hangouts chats. Whenever I go to "attach photo" it takes me to Photos. Wish it'd go to gallery.

Maybe I'll try quickpic...

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

I think Photos is the future.
Only Quickpic allows me to put a shortcut to a folder on my desktop.
But Quickpic does NOT give me access to my Picasaweb online albums.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Photos annoys me. I use Gallery. Quickpic is nice but doesn't show all my albums for some reason. I find it funny that the third party option takes advantage of Kit Kat's immersion view and Google's own Gallery doesn't.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

StayingAlert

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Originally Posted by crxssi
That would explain it! I hate all social media, so yes, Google + is not only off, but also disabled.

A part of the reason for one's liking or disliking any app is the degree to which the app is tied to one of the social networks. With my limited experience, that would make me choose Gallery over Photos.

Is this the future? Are all apps or forums going to be tied at the hip to the likes of Facebook or Google+? Even though I had been previously registered on this forum, I had to do a substantial dodge-and-weave around the social network tie-ins just to log in. I seem to have lost my ability to access Flipboard now - it requires a mandatory Facebook log-in. Not gonna happen.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Quickpic is nice but doesn't show all my albums for some reason. I find it funny that the third party option takes advantage of Kit Kat's immersion view and Google's own Gallery doesn't.

Quickpic should show you everything you have- there are lots of modes so I would check your settings. Especially under Browse and also which mode you are in ...I typically use stack + explorer. With explorer off, it acts "stupid" like Gallery, jumbling everything into just one level of a directory tree (stupidest design EVER, especially if you have lots of properly organized directories. ( For example, pics-> vehicles-> bike-> zrx-> accessories ))

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Quickpic should show you everything you have- there are lots of modes so I would check your settings. Especially under Browse and also which mode you are in ...I typically use stack + explorer. With explorer off, it acts "stupid" like Gallery, jumbling everything into just one level of a directory tree (stupidest design EVER, especially if you have lots of properly organized directories. ( For example, pics-> vehicles-> bike-> zrx-> accessories ))

I back up my photos to Google, and quick pic doesn't show those folders, will have to play with the settings and see if I find anything.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Nope, the developer states on the app page that QuickPic doesn't support cloud albums.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Bummer. I've got a couple thousand up there. Thanks for the heads on that.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I back up my photos to Google, and quick pic doesn't show those folders, will have to play with the settings and see if I find anything.

That is neither a directory nor an album. That is so-called "cloud" stuff that is not on your phone. Quickpic is a photo viewer, not a network client.