Cases, cases, cases! Which one to pick?

arcoms

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading all the different threads about the great cases available for the Nexus 7 and need a little help narrowing down my options.

I LOVE the uniqueness of some of them like the Treegloo and the Portenzo cases, but I'm not entirely sold on them.
Here's what I'm looking for; I want something that is low profile and slim since that is one of the things I love the most about the N7. The Treegloo cases, while gorgeous and unique, seem very thick. I'd also love if the case came in options other than black and brown (blue, purple, green, etc.) and has a built in stand to make it more comfortable to watch movies. The Portenzo Hardbook looked perfect except for the fact that it doesn't have the stand. I've also heard of the Mako case and that one looks pretty good, but I can't get a read on how much thicker it would make my device.

Thanks to anyone who has some advice for the newbie :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you want slim, go for poetic slimline case.
I'll give you a honest brief review.
The build quality on this case could be better, but great for the price. I just recently bought one last month and the case started to tear from me using the stand and the rubber lining on the front cover started to peel. I emailed Poetic and told them my situation. They said I had a defective product and they shipped me a brand new one for free and told me to keep the old one.
This is a company who cares about their customers.
I have dropped my N7 while in this case and no damage whatsoever.
Goods luck on your search though!

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, before I answer I must do this:

FULL DISCLOSURE: I review cases for my blog and several case manufacturers, including Blurex, Speck Products, and Portenzo have provided cases to me for review. I do not receive financial compensation for my reviews.

If you are on a budget, then I would get the Blurex Ultra Slim Case (there are "duplicates", just look on Amazon or eBay), but honestly, I wouldn't. The thing that annoys me the most on the Blurex is that you must release two of the clasps that are holding the N7 into the case in order to put the case into "stand mode." You can see the video on my blog. Considering, that you said you were seriously considering the Treegloo or Portenzo, then I don't think you would be happy with the Blurex.

If slim is what you want, then go for the FitFolio, but Speck Products. This case still allows the N7 and the case to fit into the back pocket of a pair of jeans.

If you still have your eye on a custom case, then go for the Portenzo BookCase instead of the HardBook. The BookCase has an option (Intellistand - $10 additional) that will allow the case to be used with viewing angles.

EDIT:

Let me add this:

If * I * were purchasing a case, I would go with the Speck FitFolio. Don't get me wrong, I think the Portenzo is a great case! I would even call it a "premium" case. The reason why I would choose the FitFolio? Mainly the clasp. I really like the clasp on the FitFolio. On the Portenzo, there is an elastic strap which you would have to fasten the case closed with the strap, then unfasten to gain access, then refasten when done, etc....

As for the cost of the Speck vs. Portezo? I have to admit, for me, the price would make me lean toward the Speck FitFolio. The Portenzo is handmade in the USA. The Portenzo is something I would add to my Christmas Wish List. :D

I hope that helps you make your decision. :)

Last edited:

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are on a budget, then I would get the Blurex Ultra Slim Case (there are "duplicates", just look on Amazon or eBay), but honestly, I wouldn't. The thing that annoys me the most on the Blurex is that you must release two of the clasps that are holding the N7 into the case in order to put the case into "stand mode." You can see the video on my blog.

I was juust about to buy that case, thanks for the head's up. too bad, I liked the minimalism of the clasps. it wouldn't have been too difficult to adjust the design so you didn't need to constantly pop your device in and out, but it's only $10-15 after all.

(WTF the Poetic for iPad Mini is only $5?? the one for Kindle is only $7? Why is it that their cases for the N7 are so much more expensive, when it's the same design?

arcoms

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to try out both the Poetic (the light blue color options is nice!) and the Speck Fitfolio.

I really appreciate the help!

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I am a little late, just wanted to put my two cents in.

I bought a case from New Pencil called the Flipsteady Pro and I love it, we are also giving one away really soon.
You can enter the contest and read the review here.

It's a little bit on the expensive side, but I secured a 20% off code and that helps too!

Anyway, I wasn't compensated at all for the case, I bought it first and then contacted Newpencil to see if they were interested in a giveaway. I love mine! :D

dnightangel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've used a fair few cases , most of the mentioned and above. For some reason I really love the official nexus 7 case, sure it has no magnet function auto wake in it but I found I didn't mind this. Its minimalistic and fits perfectly. Made from similar material on the back of the nexus 7. Its a touch expensive but yeah its what I use as my daily case now. But then it might just be cause I want something minimal and that i really like the material on tje back of the nexus 7, while the nexus etching on the outside of the case gives it a little extra. Shame it has no magnet that would of made it much more popular :(

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought a case from New Pencil called the Flipsteady Pro and I love it, ...

That's a very interesting case! I like the refrigerator storage feature, although, in my house that wouldn't be a very good idea. :)

How is the front cover secured when you're done using the N7 or if you're just carrying it around?

I've used a fair few cases , most of the mentioned and above. For some reason I really love the official nexus 7 case, sure it has no magnet function auto wake in it but I found I didn't mind this. Its minimalistic and fits perfectly. ...

Here's how you can convert the official OEM case to a "Smart Case":

The problems with the OEM case, other than the Auto Wake/Sleep (since that can be corrected by the above method):

No stand.

No way of securing the cover shut.

The cover does not have a soft lining on the inside. It's just the same TPU, so there is no protection of the screen.

If you want something minimalistic, I would go with either the Blurex Ultra Slim or the Speck FitFolio. My preference would be the FitFolio.

As I mentioned above, I do receive cases for review purposes, so I would like to go on record and say that I did pay for the OEM case myself. If I had a do over card, I would save the $20 from the OEM case and put it towards the Speck FitFolio.

Jklsr55

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Both my son and myself have the GN7. I have looked and looked but in my mind nothing beats a simple $5 silicone gel case with anti glare screen saver. Both from eBay, under $10 total. Love it...

Jeff Legg
Montana