With the help of Custom ROMs, is it possible for Nexus 7 (2013) to make phone calls?

May 11, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to describe the feeling when I had first generation of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 as my first tablet years ago. Safe to say, it was so laggy that I immediately regret the decision not to buy iPad 2 instead.

But months later when I discovered CyanogenMod and decided to play around with it, suddenly it became much more useful tablet. It gave my Tab 10.1 a jelly bean ROM that Samsung never had, it got rid of the bloatware and replace it with sleek nexus-ish design instead, and it gave my Tab 10.1 a phone functionality that I didn't get with TouchWiz when I first bought it. (Sadly, months after that Tab 2 10.1 was announced with phone functionality)

I'm just wondering if the new nexus 7 is similar? Would be so awesome if they announce the next nexus 7 with phone functionality..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
With Google Voice, a headset and an app such as GrooVe IP Lite it will work. You don't need a custom ROM. However, that ability will go away on 5/15/14 when Google changes Google Voice. No word yet on a workaround. It's possible Google will build the capability in to Voice but nothing confirmed at this time.

Richard Eagar

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If you have magic jack you can get an app that will allow you to use your magic jack account on an Android device. Also if you're in Canada and a Rogers customer you could use a app called Rogers one to use your cellular number over Android device on internet without charging your account at all

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
As others mentioned, there's a variety of VOIP options that leverage Google Voice, as well as stand-alone apps by Vonage, Magic Jack, etc.

When I said phone functionality I suppose it means making and receiving phone calls without internet connection..
I don't see how that would be possible without a cellular radio.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
When I said phone functionality I suppose it means making and receiving phone calls without internet connection..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A phablet like the Note 3 might be a better fit. Alternatively you could get a Nexus 7 with LTE support, but then you are making an internet connection, just over the LTE network.

Andre_B

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the Nexus 7 v2 LTE, and I'm also very disappointed of the lack of cell phone functionality on the device.
What I have noticed though, is that it to seems to be a software limitation only.

When I inserted my phone sim card into the Nexus 7, it started up and connected to all the networks of the carrier, GSM, WCDMA and LTE by Telenor Norway. I was able to send text messages and access the internet, but obviously there is no app to perform phone calls. Therefore i tried the other way around, using my friends phone to call the Nexus, and except from the lack of telephone user interface which made answering impossible, it behaved like a normal cell phone. I had the calling tone, and the Nexus also made signal noice on my TV sound system, just like a normal cell phone. To me, the only fault i can find, is the lack og telepphony software.

I run Cyanogenmod on both my android devices, the Nexus 7 and my Samsung Galaxy Note N7000, i have compared them software wise to find some of the apparent software component differences.
I found four app that differed. The com.android.callui and the com.android.dialer were abscent in the Nexus, and the com.android.phone and telephony.provider were different.

Unfortunately I have not been able to install all of the apps from the N7000. I removed and backed up the two apps from the Nexus using an apk.extractor, and thereafter tried to install the four apps from the N7000. The installation of callUI and dialer went fine, but when trying to install phone and telephonyProvider, i get an error: app not installed. Weirdly this also happens with the Nexus' native apps, so I don't necessarily think that the installation problem is caused by the app differences themselves.

Hopefully a more knowledgeable person will find a solution to install the apps, or in the best case come up with a solution to the whole matter :)

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I can access my PhonePower voip account and make calls using their app. It's a buggy app, so I hope they'll fix it soon. As for incoming calls, dunno, incoming calls still go to my land line.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch