Verizon Rumor - Killing grandfathered unlimited plans

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is threatening going to another carrier. Won't they all be limited eventually if they aren't already? I'm not saying I'm happy and want to stay with Verizon, but having limited data in fringe areas is better than having no data.

I work with a lot of people on Sprint, AT&T, T-mobile...in our building alone I hear complaints all the time about having to go outside to use their phone, or stand in a certain spot on one leg with their head tilted and their wallet in another pocket. This is just at work, I hear the same stories elsewhere. I never have these problems. I'd jump ship if I was sure my unlimited data actually was usable everywhere I needed it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is threatening going to another carrier. Won't they all be limited eventually if they aren't already?

Exactly.

Can't go to AT&T. T-Mobile throttles.

Sprint is left - but I see their "truly unlimited" data going away by 2014.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like Cricket, MetroPCS, Boost, etc.. The problem is they all suck compared to Verizon. My son has Cricket and my father has Boost and there's text lag, and the data service isn't anywhere near the level Verizon is. Which is half of the reason why I'll miss Verizon if this all comes to pass.

If you do any type of traveling companies like MetroPCS have far less coverage than the big guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Pabster

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Currently I am using the Rezound with unlimited data and am eligible for an upgrade. If I upgrade before the policy changes go into effect, will my unlimited data plan be safe for another 2 year period?

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Currently I am using the Rezound with unlimited data and am eligible for an upgrade. If I upgrade before the policy changes go into effect, will my unlimited data plan be safe for another 2 year period?

That is my understanding.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You'd have to look at the contract itself for an answer. If there's a provision in there which says that VZW may alter the terms of your contract provided they give you notice and the option to leave the contract sans ETF then no your unlimited data would not be safe.

It all boils down to whether or not VZW intends on altering the contracts of many many customers.

Reactions: Ry

jvolstad

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Let's hope at least they continue with the 4GB data plan for 4G users. I could live with that although more is better. :p

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
You'd have to look at the contract itself for an answer. If there's a provision in there which says that VZW may alter the terms of your contract provided they give you notice and the option to leave the contract sans ETF then no your unlimited data would not be safe.

It all boils down to whether or not VZW intends on altering the contracts of many many customers.

I'm perfectly fine with leaving and then suing the bejesus out of Verizon when they come after me for money(along with the other tens of thousands that they screwed). Or just laughing my head off while they try to collect from me.

However since this all hasn't gone down yet, me and Verizon are still on good terms.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

Oh, they will if they have a set date for this, don't worry.
I apologize for the rant, but this is bull****. It was BS when texting plans cost $20 unlimited for sending out 5KB messages, and it's BS to charge $50 for 8GB or whatever it is.
I saw "the cloud" as pure garbage the moment it was being pushed on us as the next big thing. It was all a way for throttling and capping companies to milk our teets with an iron fist.

I grew up in the era of daydreaming and staring aimlessly. Game & Watch was considered a luxury. I thought limitless internet for a high fee was a fair deal, but on a cap, it's worthless to me. My peace of mind on data use is gone. I have no qualms with busting out a Gameboy Pocket every now and then to keep me from going bored, because this is all I do with a smartphone, aside from making phone calls.
If the hard caps on data are the destiny of the smartphone, then I'll go back to a dumb phone. It's as simple as that. Now who's with me? No one. Because 1 out of 1,000,000 people actually vote with their wallets.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh, they will if they have a set date for this, don't worry.
I apologize for the rant, but this is bull****. It was BS when texting plans cost $20 unlimited for sending out 5KB messages, and it's BS to charge $50 for 8GB or whatever it is.
I saw "the cloud" as pure garbage the moment it was being pushed on us as the next big thing. It was all a way for throttling and capping companies to milk our teets with an iron fist.

I grew up in the era of daydreaming and staring aimlessly. Game & Watch was considered a luxury. I thought limitless internet for a high fee was a fair deal, but on a cap, it's worthless to me. My peace of mind on data use is gone. I have no qualms with busting out a Gameboy Pocket every now and then to keep me from going bored, because this is all I do with a smartphone, aside from making phone calls.
If the hard caps on data are the destiny of the smartphone, then I'll go back to a dumb phone. It's as simple as that. Now who's with me? No one. Because 1 out of 1,000,000 people actually vote with their wallets.

Brother, I agree with you. I will vote with my wallet...by no longer giving my money to Verizon..Trust me, this deal goes down and I'm off Verizon for good...Wow that sounded like I was kicking a bad habit...oh wait, I was.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Let's hope at least they continue with the 4GB data plan for 4G users. I could live with that although more is better. :p

The plan sizes are ridiculous for the pricing already. I've streamed movies on Epix and Crackle that ate nearly 2gb in 120minutes. Even the largest size plan is a week for me on the Rezound. I would love to know what their bottom line on this really is. Nothing out of their mouths on the subject of going to tiered plans made sense, at the time. All the whole shebang wreeked of was greed. Now it really wreeks of it. How is consumer consumption of 4g and 3g costing these guys and arm and a leg to provide us with it? Can someone point me to something that proves Verizons claims of a need for this?

Sorry, end rant, just knowing this is in the works is getting more frustrating by the day. Those guys keep gaining more subscribers and profits are booming for them. I'll have to give up cell service altogether when this goes into effect. Rather have a tracfone and save the $150+ a month bill.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The plan sizes are ridiculous for the pricing already. I've streamed movies on Epix and Crackle that ate nearly 2gb in 120minutes. Even the largest size plan is a week for me on the Rezound. I would love to know what their bottom line on this really is. Nothing out of their mouths on the subject of going to tiered plans made sense, at the time. All the whole shebang wreeked of was greed. Now it really wreeks of it. How is consumer consumption of 4g and 3g costing these guys and arm and a leg to provide us with it? Can someone point me to something that proves Verizons claims of a need for this?

Sorry, end rant, just knowing this is in the works is getting more frustrating by the day. Those guys keep gaining more subscribers and profits are booming for them. I'll have to give up cell service altogether when this goes into effect. Rather have a tracfone and save the $150+ a month bill.

Building and maintaining America's largest 4G LTE network certainly isn't cheap and they are a business, and in business to make money. I understand the new tiered system as it stands today, as a way of future proofing their ability to make money off their network. But to alienate its long term customers who have had unlimited data since it's inception, just seems like a bad move to me... My first smartphone, and which wasn't very smart, was the Motorola Q. I understand the need for limits, but I don't appreciate them being forced on the customers who paid the money you used to build this shiny new network.

Reactions: cinnamin and Ry

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Verizon's overhead for bandwidth is 0. They own all the pipes, they own all the frequencies. They're out and out gouging because a bean counter somewhere put a monetary value on bandwith(bytes over time)

Building and maintaining America's largest 4G LTE network certainly isn't cheap and they are a business, and in business to make money. I understand the new tiered system as it stands today, as a way of future proofing their ability to make money off their network. But to alienate its long term customers who have had unlimited data since it's inception, just seems like a bad move to me... My first smartphone, and which wasn't very smart, was the Motorola Q. I understand the need for limits, but I don't appreciate them being forced on the customers who paid the money you used to build this shiny new network.

We didn't pay for their new network. Except via taxes and whatever other money we pay to the government. The billions of dollars that the city/state/local government GIVE to Verizon helped them build their infrastructure.

Reactions: humpagardengnome

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm borderline about leaving VZW. I'd be very upset if they do alter my contract and take away my unlimited data. I'm paying quite a lot per month just to hang on to this unlimited data on this network, but it's a "you get what you pay for" situation.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's overhead for bandwidth is 0. They own all the pipes, they own all the frequencies. They're out and out gouging because a bean counter somewhere put a monetary value on bandwith(bytes over time)

We didn't pay for their new network. Except via taxes and whatever other money we pay to the government. The billions of dollars that the city/state/local government GIVE to Verizon helped them build their infrastructure.

They had to buy the equipment and the spectrums they bought cost how many billions? Not defending them but let's be real

Rezound via Tapatalk 2

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is backpedaling as fast as they can right now. I think there is probably some unhappiness in house right now with their CFO. I do think changes are coming, but I am sure they did not want this message out until they had everything ready to announce.

They might let existing LTE customers renew, but I have no doubt they before the iPhone 5 is released they will not let 3G customers upgrade with unlimited data plans.

Verizon backpedals on ending existing unlimited data plans - latimes.com

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
They had to buy the equipment and the spectrums they bought cost how many billions? Not defending them but let's be real

Rezound via Tapatalk 2

To act like Verizon has zero operating or engineering expenses is ridiculous. If our taxes built their network, AT&T wouldn't be so far behind because they would have gotten the same tax breaks. The network was built on the dollars we spent with them. And now they want even more.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Rezound via Tapatalk 2

I am keeping it real. A generous portion of the bill for the LTE equipment was paid for by the taxpayers of the US. The initial LTE spectrum was bought at auction and is currently trying to be sold off(blocks A & B). Yes I know it wasn't all cheap but it wasn't all paid for directly by Verizon either.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is not a non-profit.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332