Verizon Galaxy Nexus: Any way to force 4.2.2 update?

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyway to force 4.2.2 update?

I'm rooted and unlocked on stock 4.1.1.

Got the 4.2.2 update and after installing, ClockworkMod asked if I wanted if I wanted to install untrusted package. I selected yes then got an error after it attempted to install. Anyone else seen this issue or have any advice?
What error message are you seeing? Can you get back to running 4.1.1 or are you bricked?

I was rooted and unlocked also and I was able to do the OTA update fine. It said the update was untrusted to me also and I said, yes, install and it worked. Prior to the update, I had done a temporary unroot using the OTA Rootkeeper app, although I'm not sure if that's actually necessary. As far as I can tell, that's the only difference from what you did.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site

To the people that are getting the update where are you located?

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

ohcalcutta

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

What error message are you seeing? Can you get back to running 4.1.1 or are you bricked?

I was rooted and unlocked also and I was able to do the OTA update fine. It said the update was untrusted to me also and I said, yes, install and it worked. Prior to the update, I had done a temporary unroot using the OTA Rootkeeper app, although I'm not sure if that's actually necessary. As far as I can tell, that's the only difference from what you did.

It was a status 7 error. I actually went back and temporarily unrooted, got the OTA update to pop up again and got the same deal. Untrusted packaged -> install anyway -> status 7 error.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

How's everyone's phone operating while on 4.2.2? My phones been super buugy... Constant freezing and bad reception. And also at times while the phone is on standby, it would not wake up. It would power up... But with a really low gray back light...

Has this happened to anyone else?

ISiddiqui

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Took more than a few times (disabling Google Services Framework), but FINALLY it is downloading 4.2.2!

Thanks for the tip!

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

It was a status 7 error. I actually went back and temporarily unrooted, got the OTA update to pop up again and got the same deal. Untrusted packaged -> install anyway -> status 7 error.
Bummer. I've not gotten that before. You may need help from one of the seasoned custom ROM people here, but you can take a look at the links below where a couple of other people got a status 7 and see if something there may help. Good luck.

See post #3 by "teddyearp" here:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/632182-help-status-7-error-when-flashing-new-rom.html

See various suggestions here:
"Status 7" While Updating to 4.2.1, Unable to Boot - xda-developers

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

How's everyone's phone operating while on 4.2.2? My phones been super buugy... Constant freezing and bad reception. And also at times while the phone is on standby, it would not wake up. It would power up... But with a really low gray back light...

Has this happened to anyone else?
It's working fine for me. Sorry, not sure why yours is misbehaving. Maybe try clearing the Dalvik cache and rebooting? That may require root, which I'm not sure you have.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site

I have been trying to force this update for a day now and still nothing.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Pentalobe

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

Yes!

Settings > Apps > All > Google Services Framework > Clear Data > Force Stop > Settings > About phone > System updates > Check now

This method works perfectly! Thank You all very much ///

/BD :D

So I am tempted to give this a try but I am worried that I may brick my phone or mess it up so bad that I had to factory reset my phone. (I used to a software engineer and I know if there is a way to have things go wrong, it will probably happen to someone.) Can someone help with some general questions:

1) Doing it this way, what is actually happening behind the scene?
I mean, is the phone going through Wi-Fi, connecting to Google directly (by-passing my telco) and downloading the latest 4.2.2.?

2) What does the "Clear Data" step do? clearing all the temp data for the process which if I don't do the rest of the steps, powering off the phone and back on should be back to normal.

3) I see someone having success after 30+ tries and some with success after twice. Why the variations? I am not a big fan of intermittent problems because they are well "intermittent" and sometimes we have no clue why they happen.

4) Finally, about risk. If it fail the first time, what happen? Do I still have a useable phone (like I never tried to update before?)

Many thanks.

babaduchi

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

You're correct. I was giving the instructions off of my head.. Anyways, the force update seemed to work...

I tried a few different ways... Nothing worked until I gave it one last shot.. Maybe by coincidence, who knows? But I'm on 4.2.2!

Here's what I did:

Clear data > force stop > click home button > task manager > swipe close all apps > settings > about phone > Check for update > MONEY!!

I tried the clear data and force stop numerous times with no luck. Then I tried this method with task manager and swiping closed all apps. Worked like a charm. Not sure if coincidence or not but I'm on 4.2.2 now.
Stock and unlocked in Austin, TX.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

rdmodlin

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site

I tried the force method, now i can not update apps. Any ideas how to fix it?

ISiddiqui

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I tried the force method, now i can not update apps. Any ideas how to fix it?

Apparently one way is to Clear the Cache from Google Play Store and then Clear Data from Google Services Framework and then reboot.

Another way is to delink your Google account and then relink it.

I had this issue myself and the first thing worked for me (after a few times).

rdmodlin

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site

Still can't update apps. Anymore ideas?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz