For people that say 16gb isn't enough....

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
What are you putting on your phone? I have quite a bit of apps and I'm not nearly close to filling up my internal memory! I agree that Samsung shouldn't be able to pass this off as a 16gb model but they can so oh well. Serious question tho, what are you guys putting on your phone? Haha

Sent from my ATT Galaxy S4

I have the offline wiki app and that takes up 6gb of space and you can't move it to external sd

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

standog100

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I ve got 111 apps and I had to un install some of my paid games like NFS MOSTWANTED just to conserve space. ..am not getting the s4 until Samsung make the 32 or 64gb available

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

AndyS

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
At&t is the only carrier that is selling the 64gb one.. It's fair to say they are going to sell the 32gb s4 but as far as sprint I don't see it happening and there has been no announcement

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

They sell the 32GB S3. Why not the 32GB S4 once supply is available? Media needs aren't going backwards, especially as phone screen resolutions increase across the market, and media is made to take advantage of that higher resolution and it eats up more memory.

I wish google hadn't changed the way app moving worked post 2.3. Didn't fully understand that, having come from an EVO 4G. Yes, I have a Nexus 7, but there's no SD card expansion so it never crossed my mind.

Seriously considering returning my S4 and waiting a couple of weeks to see what shakes out.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Neither is straining your relationship with the carriers that make you the most money. AT&T taking the plunge shows their commitment to offer what they believe their customers want. It also shows, considering they aren't advertising it as an exclusive, that it is up to the carriers to decide to offer this or not.

What?? The carriers offer what is needed to sell their merchandise, plain and simple. The public comments from AT&T and Samsung regarding the internal storage amount is disingenuous at best bordering on out right lying to their customers. I'll bet many buyers of the 16Gb models are scratching their heads now thinking they got snookered with the initial carrier statements. Just three weeks after telling the public they won't be selling 32Gb models AT&T is selling them in three days.

Hopefully our discussion of disappointment on these forums had something to do with that.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Except the phone comes with a V8 engine, but they filled three of the cylinders with concrete.

Or they made a Ferrari with a three gallon tank. Some people don't like driving fast or going far, but others want to drive real fast and real far. Depends on your use :)

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I think the carriers are more to blame with the phones with lack of sufficient storage either 16gb internal storage and some with no removable media trying to push more people into cloud services and we know Google wants that. But why would the carriers want that simple. They want to push you into higher tiered data and since you just paid all this money for a phone your going to want to use it so you will opt for more data in some cases. Yes some have unlimited data but not everyone does so the carriers will offer the smaller versions first for the techy people who love to be early adopters then drop the 32 or 64 models so you will hopefully add a line to get the device.

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
First of all......WOW! I am content with 8GB storage. Music, photos, and videos are on my SD card. All my downloaded apps and small games (6 total games) are on the phone. I don't see a need for "Gaming" on a phone, period. If I want to Game then I'll turn on my XBOX 360 and play on the big screen. I don't go to my friends' houses and play on my phone like probably most people do. I actually go to hang out. Complaining about storage on a phone is assinine. Do you not realize that with more storage comes less battery? How? Let me see.......well, you're going to need a better processor and ram to handle the larger storage.....meaning what? Ohhhhh...........more battery usage. Wait a minute...........you hear that? Complaints about poor battery performance. Never ending cycle. Here's a suggestion. Solar Powered smartphones! That would solve all the problems right there. No need to keep the battery performance in mind. Just make everything faster, smoother, better....our battery will not DIE!

All I'm saying is don't complain when it is in fact YOU who put yourself in this situation.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
First of all......WOW! I am content with 8GB storage. Music, photos, and videos are on my SD card. All my downloaded apps and small games (6 total games) are on the phone. I don't see a need for "Gaming" on a phone, period. If I want to Game then I'll turn on my XBOX 360 and play on the big screen. I don't go to my friends' houses and play on my phone like probably most people do. I actually go to hang out. Complaining about storage on a phone is assinine. Do you not realize that with more storage comes less battery? How? Let me see.......well, you're going to need a better processor and ram to handle the larger storage.....meaning what? Ohhhhh...........more battery usage. Wait a minute...........you hear that? Complaints about poor battery performance. Never ending cycle. Here's a suggestion. Solar Powered smartphones! That would solve all the problems right there. No need to keep the battery performance in mind. Just make everything faster, smoother, better....our battery will not DIE!

All I'm saying is don't complain when it is in fact YOU who put yourself in this situation.

You just said something I've thought but not said before..if I play games then I use my PlayStation 3 or x box..using your phone to play games is a dumb idea

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
All my downloaded apps and small games (6 total games) are on the phone. I don't see a need for "Gaming" on a phone, period. If I want to Game then I'll turn on my XBOX 360 and play on the big screen. I don't go to my friends' houses and play on my phone like probably most people do. I actually go to hang out. Complaining about storage on a phone is assinine. Do you not realize that with more storage comes less battery? How? Let me see.......well, you're going to need a better processor and ram to handle the larger storage.....meaning what? Ohhhhh...........more battery usage. Wait a minute...........you hear that? Complaints about poor battery performance. Never ending cycle. Here's a suggestion. Solar Powered smartphones! That would solve all the problems right there. No need to keep the battery performance in mind. Just make everything faster, smoother, better....our battery will not DIE!

Well, they may be heavy duty multi-platform gamers, but they're entitled, even if people like you or me have no interest. However, they are trashing Samsung, AT&T, whoever, for something 95% of S4 owners don't give a flying f-ck about -- not being able to store as many giant first person shooter and racing games on their mobile device as they might like. Or being led down the garden path by AT&T because it has not been communicative enough in letting them know when the 32GB S4 is coming out, purportedly because it wants to trick them and unload the 16GB models first. Whatever.

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
1.5Mb internet speed is enough for most people, too. All they do is pay bills and read yahoo news. I have about 50x that speed on my home internet and sometimes I utilize its full throughput. No, I don't need it, but the choice was there and I chose it. This thread is pointless. 16GB phones are a thing of the past. 128GB phones will be a standard choice in a couple years and there will be another thread called, 'For people who say 32GB isn't enough.'. Hahah.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be a lot of continued standards being "imposed" by people that are either light app users, non gamers, cloud lovers and all combined. How hard is it for people to accept some people are light app users and others are heavy app users, as well as all in between?

If the other carriers were more forthright with 32GB options (and offered them), these threads would have a lot less traffic. Well, up until the more heavy app users find out they were duped by carrier sales staff and Samsung telling them they can put apps on the sd card. That will be interesting, since a tiny fraction read forums or tech sites.

BTW, considering phone gaming is a billion dollar industry now and the chipsets are big on 3D, seems silly to impose an opjective assertion that gaming on a phone is stupid. Then again, that might be Samsung and the carriers new push back, once some people figure out they were mislead.

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Seems to be a lot of continued standards being "imposed" by people that are either light app users, non gamers, cloud lovers and all combined. How hard is it for people to accept some people are light app users and others are heavy app users, as well as all in between?

If the other carriers were more forthright with 32GB options (and offered them), these threads would have a lot less traffic. Well, up until the more heavy app users find out they were duped by carrier sales staff and Samsung telling them they can put apps on the sd card. That will be interesting, since a tiny fraction read forums or tech sites.

Yes. Information/knowledge is power. Unfortunately, consumers have handed their power over to the carriers.

dd_terry

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

So by your logic Samsung and other device makers should not make any devices with more than 8gb usable storage to reduce battery usage?

Stored data in memory does not require power. If it did you would lose all your data when the battery is pulled.

I think the people that are defending having less storage are probably people who jumped on the S4 on day one and love their phone. Now with all this talk of less storage they feel they have to defend their decision and bash other who want more storage. Maybe they will feel they made the wrong decision?

Sumsung announced they would have 32gb models when they announced the S4. Other devices come with 32gb. All I want is Samsung and Sprint to sell what I want.

If you love your phone, cool. I am waiting.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
More to the point, what's the cost to Samsung just to use nothing but 64GB? $18 extra dollars per device? Subtract that from the cost of engineering 31 different models of the phone and my guess is it'd be more profitable just to have one device that has 64GB only, one kind of processor and works on every network (with minor carrier tweaking for the proprietary bits).
On this type of scale $18.00 per device is huge. As a business owner here is what I would do, charge $50.00 more for the 32GB and $100.00 more for the 64GB version. Why? because people will pay it. I also think Samsung has this profit thing figured out but will thank you for your input.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
After checking my 32GB GNEX storage 24GB available so I think I would be fine with the 16GB version. But I want the 32GB version anyway, because you never know.

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
On this type of scale $18.00 per device is huge. As a business owner here is what I would do, charge $50.00 more for the 32GB and $100.00 more for the 64GB version. Why? because people will pay it. I also think Samsung has this profit thing figured out but will thank you for your input.

As a business owner, you don't know squat. Samsung has no clue. Wait a second, looking through my house... 2x Sammy monitors, 2x Sammy phones, Sammy microwave, Sammy washer/dryer, Sammy tablet, 32GB Sammy microsd card and planning on a Sammy SSD for my gaming rig. Perhaps they do have something after all. :)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

While I tend to agree with you about gaming, I also admit that it is personal preference. Some folks enjoy playing games on their phone, and therefore desire a device that can support it. Also, simply having more storage isn't going to really have any effect on the processor, RAM, or battery...at least not by just "being there" -- it's all about what's actively being run on the device, and someone with 16GB can run power-consuming apps just as much those with 64GB can (though maybe not as many at the same time!).

BTW, considering phone gaming is a billion dollar industry now and the chipsets are big on 3D, seems silly to impose an opjective assertion that gaming on a phone is stupid. Then again, that might be Samsung and the carriers new push back, once some people figure out they were mislead.

I tend to agree with this. For many, if not a vast majority of users, 16GB *is* plenty of storage, but that doesn't mean that those whose intended usage requires more storage should shunned either.

Google talks a big game about cloud storage and how you shouldn't *need* large amounts of off-line storage on your device...but then they don't have a cloud solution for those who wish to purchase and play games with very large file sizes...they don't have a solution for folks like myself who travel a lot, and don't always have network access in the subway or on an airplane -- these would be perfect opportunities for me to enjoy media on my phone, but cloud storage doesn't do me much good it I have no Internet access.

Personally, I'm actually fine with 16GB. I know this because my 16GB Galaxy S3 still have plenty of space left...but I definitely get why some folks want more.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

My Verizon Droid Charge -- TWO years ago -- with a 32Gb SD card was $299. At the time I bought it Verizon had a $50 discount so I paid $249. I expect the higher prices for more internal memory for a current Galaxy S4 to be exactly what you suggested.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So by your logic Samsung and other device makers should not make any devices with more than 8gb usable storage to reduce battery usage?

Stored data in memory does not require power. If it did you would lose all your data when the battery is pulled.

I think the people that are defending having less storage are probably people who jumped on the S4 on day one and love their phone. Now with all this talk of less storage they feel they have to defend their decision and bash other who want more storage. Maybe they will feel they made the wrong decision?

Sumsung announced they would have 32gb models when they announced the S4. Other devices come with 32gb. All I want is Samsung and Sprint to sell what I want.

If you love your phone, cool. I am waiting.

I was hoping the op was joking and not serious, since the assertions are technically asinine (ironic, isn't it?). The power draw of 8gb or 64gb is very similar, due to the actual ram chip path itself is the heavier weight of power draw, rather than the actual size. Flash operates with address gates, so are not all active unless called upon by the OS or an app. Case in point, my 128GB iPad 4 does not drain anymore battery than my previous 64GB version. My undergrad core is computer electronics, so I at least have the delusion I know what I am talking about.

The biggest draw on a phone is the display, chipset and radios- not in any stretch of logic is it the flash size. You would have to go WAY up for the weight to shift.

Added: As far as the cloud discussion, Google has stated and other content providers is that the end game for cloud is data mining and content control. "They" do not want the consumer physically having anything local. They still want your money of course, but do not like the concept of true personal ownership of content. Really. Not talking small indie parties, but the bigger ones with the lawyers on retainer or on their payroll. The cloud is like a big farm to heard us consumers into. Moooo!

BTW, our data cap loving carriers LOOOOVVVVVEEE the cloud!

Last edited: