Google Services chewing up my battery life

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the past few days google services is taking a chunk out of the battery life. I have BetterbatteryStats and Wakelock Defender and i cant identify the specific app causing it. If i do a battery pull the usage goes down but it eventually comes back up even on a voice call the percentage drops but then raises again to a really high percentage im at a loss here need some guidance. I have taken some screen shots

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry here they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374091750198.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374091750198.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 140
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374091763208.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374091763208.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 139
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374091775968.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374091775968.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 135

Berserk

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Uninstall your Google Play Service updates and then re install them. Mine was doing the same thing and that totally stopped it.

Posted via Android Central App

Berserk

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So click settings, then more, then application manager and you'll find it under All.

Posted via Android Central App

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Agree: Google does use battery power seemingly without regard to the phone! However, I am amazed at how great battery life is on the i337. [And] looking at your battery stats, I'd say that your phone is doing pretty well power-wise. . .Of course, every person's battery story will be different; and there is no one perfect way to optimize battery life.

Now, I never saw the need to mess with Google Play -at least for battery purposes, but I did quite a bit of power management for my old S2. Taking some of the following steps (plus using some good roms and relatively new batteries) just about doubled my daily battery life.

Here is what I did -it sounds like you've done most if not all of these measures already:
1st Used BBS to analyze what apps were causing problems
2d I uninstalled Google Now (a major battery user) and
3d Switched from Google maps (uninstalled) to Mapquest. (used less battery and less tracking of where I was/am all the time!)
4th I used Greenify to hibernate apps that I rarely used, but which were power-eaters (even when not being used) Greenify is different from TIBU since you can still access the app when you need it without doing anything special!)
5th I used Battery Stats Pro and DS Battery saver to continue my ongoing monitoring and management (balanced) of apps for best balance between quick ready use and saving power.

I have not needed any of those measures on the S4 (but I still don't use G-Now and have really taken to only using Mapquest -even though it is not as pretty as G-Maps. . .) So far I have been at about 60-70 percent after an entire day (0730-2300) of my normal-to-a-bit-active use. That is really really good (for me). Don't know how long that can last, but it is really quite nice for now!

So if you feel you can't get the hours you want out of your S4, I would use Greenify to "chill out" apps that are burning power in the background (but that you will need on occassion) also I would ditch G-Now (unless you really have it working for you in your daily routine). and finally -while BBS can point out much I would recommend using an easier to use battery monitoring app PLUS a "power app" like Juice Defender (that some don't seem to like, but which really can do quite a bit for you especially in the manual mode) or (my preferred) DS Battery Saver.

EDIT: Oh if you delete the updates to play when you go to app management, you will soon have the play store detecting that your version is out of date and you will be prompted to update again -or if you turned off update prompts, then you can simply go to settings and re-enable recommend updates until your play gets updated again. That might be the simplest way to deal with PLAY if you want to work to see if it is running optimally. (might also clear cache -which will cause a bit of phone effort to rebuild/update next boot, but might do something good if Play is draining power in an unusually aggressive manner.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This is insane...! Under location services > Use wireless Networks. I had it enabled for 4 hrs. I didnt have this issue before the 357mb OTA. I unchecked wireless networks and it helps but if your using beautiful widgets weather it will not update. This is ridiculous!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374551303355.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374551303355.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 72
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374551317679.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374551317679.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 75

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you can enable beautiful widgets to use data!

I used to use BW, and believe it updated while I was traveling around -usually only 3G, so it should have that option...
(I think.... :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I just looked at your battery usage stats... they still have heavy Google, perhaps maps and Google Now....

Still 80% at 4+ hours is not bad... I'll try to upload my usage..next post.

On the meantime here are links to some information that might help you. The first link --mentioning adjusting browser sync adjustments seems to be pretty good. (Not sure how applicable it is to our phone set up though...)
Anyway here is more that you ever wanted to know about Framework Services ;-)
=============================================================

#1. This thread provides a solution by adjusting sync settings for browsers and other discussion -(read this one!)
problems with google services framework

#2. This thread discusses tweaks to reduce Framework Services battery draw:
[UPDATED: SOLVED?] Google Services causing | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

#3. This thread warns not to clear Framework Services!:
Clearing Google Services Framework data is never a good idea. - xda-developers

#4. This thread says it is not a big deal to clear FS:
Main: What happens if i cleared the data in google services framework?

#5. Some discussion about Framework Services usage:
[Q] what Google Services Framework does? - xda-developers

All in all, however, I still think that Maps, Now (And maybe Google+) are hurting your battery life. . . But I am no expert --just a user who like Android :)

Good Luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
OK I am going to post my battery stats here. Today was a light use day nothing fancy (no navigation and no tethering).
Other than that, music, emails, web, some personal apps, and some photos. . .:):)

Of course every person will have unique battery usage --and it is usage dependent and probably rom/kernel dependent as well. (I am using Shostock2.1 with Jeboo kernel and it is like stock, except without the hassle of OTA/lose root issues and some fixes/debloats that Shoman94 did to the rom. . .)

I still think that your Google Framework services is way too high because of some G-app usage (and probably not play!). Of course, you might delete your data/cache in Play (it would not harm anything, and might clear out an offending app's data). Play will repopulate what you need automatically. . . Still Maps and Now, + and talk (or hangout) are big users. . .

Conversely, I use Google Voice for voice mail and have zero noticeable usage (and better voice mail ;-) .

Good Luck!

Last edited:

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This the battery performance im used to out of a charge cycle.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374710354146.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374710354146.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 72

krycek051

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have been going through the same problem, tried a million "solutions". Not being ungrateful but to have to go through any of this nonsense to use my "state of the art" smartphone is ridiculous.
Finally found a solution, went back to my HTC and use the S4 for a paperweight.