I caved in and got the Note 20 Ultra, love the phone, hate the size!

Poshworld

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I stuck to my Note 10 when the Note 20 was released. I didn't like the bigger sizes. Couple of months ago I was tired of the 10, got some cash unexpectedly and decided to give the note 20 ultra a go. The smaller N20 was a no go because it was a **** poor downgrade as far as I'm concerned. I got the Note 20 ultra, fantastic phone, loving all its features and can't get enough of the display but....... I absolutely hate how heavy it is. I have petite hands and it's a real struggle using the phone. These days I find myself going around with my iPhone XS when I'm doing stuff around the house or going out without a purse. It sucks that sansung considers a gorgeous phone like this only for men cos the size is a no no for most women. And they wonder why women like iPhone 🙄. Give me a phone with all the bells and whistles on a nice, slim 5.8 or 6 inch screen. I'm tired of lugging a humongous phone that doesn't fit into most of my pockets and feels too heavy. It's a solid phone, the best I've ever used but I'm not happy about the size and won't be getting another one if this annoying trend continues. If people want bigger screens for games and movies, they can use dex!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm fine with the size of the Note 20u , but don't want it any bigger then it is . Congrats on the new phone

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I struggle with weight. 7 ounces and 6" seems fine. I'm okay with the Note20 as a compromise.

Still keep iPhone X - similar wt/size to S21.

The 8 ou. iPhone 12 Max was / is big seller and compares to S21U. The S21 Ultra is similar size to N20U but a full ounce heavier.

Most years I've gone with the plus and Note models.

I've got a S21U on order and want to cancel and send it back - unopened. And while I liked the small light S21 at first, after a month I prefer larger phone and a stylus pen is a must.

Poshworld

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I struggle with weight. 7 ounces and 6" seems fine. I'm okay with the Note20 as a compromise.

Still keep iPhone X - similar wt/size to S21.

The 8 ou. iPhone 12 Max was / is big seller and compares to S21U. The S21 Ultra is similar size to N20U but a full ounce heavier.

Most years I've gone with the plus and Note models.

I've got a S21U on order and want to cancel and send it back - unopened. And while I liked the small light S21 at first, after a month I prefer larger phone and a stylus pen is a must.

Yeah, it's the size for me. Too heavy. I love the s-pen but what's the point if I have to take my smaller Xs out more often due to its light weight? The note 20 is not deserving. From display to ring totally flat to lack of SD, not worth it for me. I love curved screens, don't have any problems with it when writing either.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of phones getting bigger either but I accept it. Really too bad they cut so many corners on the N20 instead of just making it a smaller version of the N20U. I would have gone for that. Apple knows how to do it right with their reg/max models. I actually think Apple went a little too big with their Max this year and their regular 12 Pro.

With that being said, I found going with a LaterCase Kevlar case on my N20U makes it about the same size as my Note 8 with Spigen Neo Hybrid case so I'm happy with that since I was able to get use to the Note 8 that way for 3 years. If your one to drop their phones then I'd recommend that.

I like the S21U... a tad narrower and shorter. A little more chunkier and heavier though. I don't use the pen much so if I didn't go with the N20U already I'd probably have gone S21U and slap on a Kevlar case too to keep it small. But $300 for the N20U was too good so no regrets.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of phones getting bigger either but I accept it. Really too bad they cut so many corners on the N20 instead of just making it a smaller version of the N20U. I would have gone for that. Apple knows how to do it right with their reg/max models. I actually think Apple went a little too big with their Max this year and their regular 12 Pro.

With that being said, I found going with a LaterCase Kevlar case on my N20U makes it about the same size as my Note 8 with Spigen Neo Hybrid case so I'm happy with that since I was able to get use to the Note 8 that way for 3 years. If your one to drop their phones then I'd recommend that.

I like the S21U... a tad narrower and shorter. A little more chunkier and heavier though. I don't use the pen much so if I didn't go with the N20U already I'd probably have gone S21U and slap on a Kevlar case too to keep it small. But $300 for the N20U was too good so no regrets.
I agree on the smaller note 20 they cut corners I didn't like .

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the smaller Note 20 and am perfectly satisfied with its performance. I upgraded from a Note 10 and find it to be an improvement. There is no way I would choose the larger Note 20 U over what I have.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you on hating Samsung following the trend of cutting specs on smaller devices.
It wouldn't force me into an iPhone though. .

I'm ok with the N20U as I'm a human gorilla. But I'm not normal sized. .

My wife is pretty small so got the normal N20. Returned it due to shocking battery though.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I've found battery life to be good on my Note 20. Only time I've ever worried about running out of juice was when I had my last surgery and didn't have a charger with me at the hospital. I reduced screen timeout from 5 minutes to 15 seconds. Of course I didn't use the phone as heavily as normal, but I still got 3 days of checking work and personal email, viewing Facebook, managing calendar and finances, and browsing forums on a single charge.

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
I stuck to my Note 10 when the Note 20 was released. I didn't like the bigger sizes. Couple of months ago I was tired of the 10, got some cash unexpectedly and decided to give the note 20 ultra a go. The smaller N20 was a no go because it was a **** poor downgrade as far as I'm concerned. I got the Note 20 ultra, fantastic phone, loving all its features and can't get enough of the display but....... I absolutely hate how heavy it is. I have petite hands and it's a real struggle using the phone. These days I find myself going around with my iPhone XS when I'm doing stuff around the house or going out without a purse. It sucks that sansung considers a gorgeous phone like this only for men cos the size is a no no for most women. And they wonder why women like iPhone . Give me a phone with all the bells and whistles on a nice, slim 5.8 or 6 inch screen. I'm tired of lugging a humongous phone that doesn't fit into most of my pockets and feels too heavy. It's a solid phone, the best I've ever used but I'm not happy about the size and won't be getting another one if this annoying trend continues. If people want bigger screens for games and movies, they can use dex!
I see your point, I don't have small hands but I still thought the Note 10 was a good size and had all the features of a Note flagship. Unfortunately Samsung didn't continue that trend with the Note 20 series. A smaller Note 20 certainly would have had my money as well, if wasn't just a cheaper knockoff of the Note20u (and if it was actually smaller by a noticeable amount, lol)

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I might be the only woman who doesn't have an issue with the note ultra size. It works for me. If you tried to force me to go to a regular sized phone, idk how I'd be able to deal with that. Lol

Why did you still get the Ultra if you knew you wouldn't like the size? I'm just curious.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the note 1 and haven't looked back. It's been a blessing and a curse. A blessing, as I'm a big guy, and the size is what's attracted me, and keeps me with them(along with the pen). And a curse, in that it's been frustrating over the years with incremental size upgrades. I still of course love the note because of what it's strengths are. I, for one just an looking elsewhere(other models) for larger size needs.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the note 20U is big enough, they don't need to go bigger. I have my note 20U, use it as a spare phone. I bought a fold 2 off swappa and haven't looked back. I'm hoping they add the embedded Spen to the fold 3 and not that nightmare they did with the S 21U.

The folding phones are expensive now, but they will come down in price as more competition comes out and more available. With Spen embedded in the fold, the fold will be a force to be reckoned with. You can fold it up to a smaller form to carry easier, use one handed for those quick tasks, then open it up to use as a tablet when you desire the bigger screen.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I stuck to my Note 10 when the Note 20 was released. I didn't like the bigger sizes. Couple of months ago I was tired of the 10, got some cash unexpectedly and decided to give the note 20 ultra a go. The smaller N20 was a no go because it was a **** poor downgrade as far as I'm concerned. I got the Note 20 ultra, fantastic phone, loving all its features and can't get enough of the display but....... I absolutely hate how heavy it is. I have petite hands and it's a real struggle using the phone. These days I find myself going around with my iPhone XS when I'm doing stuff around the house or going out without a purse. It sucks that sansung considers a gorgeous phone like this only for men cos the size is a no no for most women. And they wonder why women like iPhone . Give me a phone with all the bells and whistles on a nice, slim 5.8 or 6 inch screen. I'm tired of lugging a humongous phone that doesn't fit into most of my pockets and feels too heavy. It's a solid phone, the best I've ever used but I'm not happy about the size and won't be getting another one if this annoying trend continues. If people want bigger screens for games and movies, they can use dex!
...one positive thought about it's weight, and I say this because I dropped mine on my foot once, you could use it as a defensive weapon against a potential attacker! One or two good cracks in the side of the head (temple area) and he's down! (and I'm not trying to be funny here, I'm serious)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Can't understand why people buy something they know they won't/don't like and then complain about it. The size of the note isn't for everyone.
Some of you won't be happy even if it's a 12 inch screen. Yes most go for the note for the bigger screen size, that was the reason I first got a note, but there are limits to size imo

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
love the note series from the beginning...buying that huge Note 1 was awesome...huge screen for all your content...thou I would love a flat screen...just easy to install a tempered glass...
Just few days ago jumped to Note 20 ultra 512gb snapdragon version as I read there was good 20 to 25% difference between exynos and SD....it was very difficult to find snapdragon version in my country ( India)
I was lucky enough to find one and that to 512gb..I was using Note 10 plus since Aug 2019....but then I started having network issue....battery issue ...and at times I got phone heated wait till it cools down...but that was rare like maybe 2 times only till I had the phone....now with note 20 ultra zero issue..great network...amazing battery life...and camera is awesome....
I would say Note 20 ultra is the best all round android device....I hope we see Note 21 U...
love the big screen phones...but I donno I mite be wrong but Note 20 U is a tat bit narrower than note 10 plus ....

Last edited:

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
From reading threads about the size of the N20U I was expecting it to be humongous and was a little anxious before it arrived. But, honestly, it felt so much like the size of my N9 that I didn't once feel it was too big.
With all the software updates and the incredible hardware, I completely love this phone. And the cameras... Wow! The only downside for me in the whole package is the fingerprint sensor. Maybe it's my skin on my thumbs being a little rough but I really struggle with it. Works well after re-recording prints for a while, but not for long.
But, reasonably small price to pay (ie the FP problem, not the price of the handset!) for this beautiful piece of technology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azrae9484