May need to leave Sprint...which phone would you go for?

newmomto1

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I love my Evo but am sick of it not working in my neighborhood. I have an airave for the house...but if I go for a walk or am out with the kids...no service :(

I am pretty sure Verizon works here. And AT&T (but not sure I want to go with them).
So I am curious....any other phones out there that will live up to the Evo????

It kills me to give up the great Sprint plan. But I need service!
I wonder how much will it cost me to break my contract?

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
contract is prorated per month(s) served so far

Verizon I'd go Droid X
Att probably Atrix 4G or HTC inspire (if you like sense).

I'd stay away from the samsung ones for obvious OTA issues and update frequencies.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would double check Verizon working in your area because I would expect your EVO go into roaming if it had no signal (it's not uncommon for Sprint phones to roam on Verizon).

Do you have any friends on AT&T or Verizon that you can get to come over to your place at the same time and do a signal strength test?

balansboy

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon does work, I would go with the Thunderbolt coming out in a day or two. In talking to my buddy who works for Verizon, its very similar to the Evo with about 6 months worth of technology advancments

Maestro1#AC

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the thunderbolt it is basically verizons EVO, its from HTC so it has sense. I know it might be tempting to wait for more dual-core phones and such, but getting the thunderbolt now will get you unlimited data including for LTE for 30$ a month, and we all know that offer is gaurenteed to go away soon as LTE coverage grows.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure Verizon works here. And AT&T (but not sure I want to go with them).
If Verizon works for you... then the T-bolt would be perfect(the equivalent to the Evo).

There are a few ways of getting the early termination fee waived.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbolt for sure. Basically an Evo but with more memory (728 vs 512), more internal storage (8GB vs 1GB) and a bigger micro SD card OOTB (32GB vs 8GB).

I know several people picking them up Thursday.

newmomto1

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked your roaming settings? If Verizon has service then you should be kicking over to roaming

Roaming

My roaming setting is "automatic". Is that what it should be?
It never seems to be on roam.
I do have a friend with Verizon and her phone works here. That wouldn't be because of the Airave would it?
Not sure...does the Airrave work for non-sprint phones?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I do have a friend with Verizon and her phone works here. That wouldn't be because of the Airave would it?

Yeah, if you are a very fringe area it will not consistently roam. If it picks up the least bit of Sprint signal it will keep trying to connect to that and not just switch over to a roaming connect.

I came from the Pre and I must admit that is one thing that I definitely miss -- they had a patch that would leave you with only roaming. That way if you were in these fringe areas you could force your phone to ignore the Sprint signal and just plain go with roaming.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Like a lot of people said, I would diffidently check to see if Verizon does have service in your area.

On Verizon I would go with the Thunderbolt
At&t (would be my very last choice) maybe the atrix or inspire. Haven't seen the atrix in action yet but a guy I work with has an inspire. Seems nice and all but I haven't been able to test it yet.

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

Since you are looking at leaving anyway, why not try rooting your phone. There is an app in the market that is called Roam Control. It requires a rooted phone.

https://sites.google.com/site/roamcontrol/

There is plenty of info on rooting EVO's here in the forums. I particularly like Rooting For Dummies. LOL

ROOTING For Dummies - Android Forums

blacksuntzu

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Go to the XDA site. There is a hack for the rooted EVO to make it use Verizons 3G all the time instead of just roaming on verizon. This could solve your problem and save you the money of switching.

hk-usp45

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Go to the XDA site. There is a hack for the rooted EVO to make it use Verizons 3G all the time instead of just roaming on verizon. This could solve your problem and save you the money of switching.

That hack depends on area. In some areas you can not call as Verizon will not recognize ur phone. You can use data down though.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile - G2, mytouch 4g, or Nexus s

Verizon - thunderbolt

Att - Insprire 4g or atrix

Take your pick, they all match or exceed the evo IMO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo