rate the hero for me...or should i wait for the evo?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm lookin for a few pointers with the HTC hero. Is it worth grabbing it now or am I better off waiting for the evo 4g? I'm in a contract with sprint right now,so I cant go to a different carrier. I'm lookin for the best bang for my buck. Obviously I want an Android powerhouse...throw a dog a friggin bone here. Thank you for all of your opinions :D

techsamaritan

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Wait. My wife and I had the Hero and now have the Moment. Hero is a decent phone but the slow processor is the deal breaker. The Moment is an excellent middle of the road phone and has the physical keyboard (even though it feels too spread out) and processor moves much faster than the Hero. I'm torn about getting a phone without a physical keyboard but if I did, it would be the evo. HTC makes great phones, hero just needs a faster processor.

JayCudi

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Considering that the specs on the EVO is much better and will be available next month, i'd say you should hold off unless pricing is an issue.

shawninut

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't take my Pre any longer and got the Hero about a month ago. I love it so far and was very skeptical of the virtual keyboard, as all my previous phones were physical keyboards. But now I love it, easy to use even with my fat fingers. With the update to 2.1 coming possibly tomorrow, I would go for the Hero. I want the Evo but with past experience I will wait a few months for them to work out all the bugs and then pick up one around Christmas time when the price is discounted. Unless your really load up the Hero processor speed is just fine. I did get the 1750 battery to make the phone last the whole day.

MSK01

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Wait for the Evo. I have a Hero right now and its got some bugs with it. Like the fact that its really slow. Plus 2.1 still isn't out for it, and I'm doubting it ever will come out. So, wait for the Evo. Trust me.

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the evo will be a great phone but if your an average user, the hero will suit you just fine. If I had the choice between the evo and the incredible, I would choose the incredible. The evo is going to be huge. This can be great if your into watching movies and into a lot of youtube. Me personally, I just want a phone that can browse the web, play youtube every once in a while and can make and receive calls. I am not saying that I won't consider the evo when I see it in person but I am not going ga ga like most people are over it. If 4g cost extra or a change in plan is needed then that will be a whole different discussion. My state has 4g and was one of the first (Atlanta) but I will not pay extra for it.

If you get a hero, buy it from craigslist. I wouldn't waste an upgrade on it. Who knows there might be a even more powerful phone to follow shortly after. In the cell phone industry, that's how the cookie crumbles

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
I had this debate with myself as well. I ended up ordering the Hero today and it will be here tomorrow. My thought process was as much as I lust after the Evo, I had to be brought back down to earth. I live in an area where there is no 4g yet, there will be bugs (just like every new device) so I'll wait for those to be worked out and then there was the price issue. I was able to get the Hero for $49 with using my husband's upgrade and then my line will be up for a Premier upgrade in July. I'm lucky where my husband doesn't really care about gadgets so I hog all the upgrades. As cool as the Evo looks, the reality is I just don't need it right now. However, I'm a stay at home mom/medical transcription student who will use the phone for shopping list apps, facebook, texting, medical apps and a calendar so your needs may be different.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I need to hold the evo in my hand and see if it's just too big or not. That 4.3" screen may be just a bit too large for me. The screen on the Hero is great, i just wish it had a faster processor and was thinner. I've rooted and have 2.1 running which makes a world of difference.

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
I need to hold the evo in my hand and see if it's just too big or not. That 4.3" screen may be just a bit too large for me. The screen on the Hero is great, i just wish it had a faster processor and was thinner. I've rooted and have 2.1 running which makes a world of difference.

I am a bit afraid of the size too. It looks absolutely huge. I'm not one to watch movies or any of that on a phone so I don't need a screen that big.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine sine December. This is my first smart phone and i'm amazed at the Android OS and everything it can do. This is the first phone that I feel like I can actually use to surf the web. The 5MP camera is amazing and probably more sufficient than what most people would use it for, I just wish it had flash.

I have had numerous issues with it including picture mails not being sent, calls not coming through, and weird issues with signal. The battery life is atrocious, I get about 5-6 hours if i'm constantly playing with it and maybe up to 2 days if I dont mess with it at all. It's also extremely slow if you have anything open on it.

This is in comparison to the Motorola Droid and some of my older phones (which were NOT smart phones to be fair). The majority of the problems i've had with it are supposed to be fixed by the 2.1 update, but who knows when they'll actually release it. If I were you i'd wait for the EVO unless you absolutely must have an Android phone right now.

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I would say hold off for the Evo. I upgraded from a Palm OS phone to the Hero last October. I like the Hero, it's fast and never locks up. Like any smartphone, the user has to manage it. The only problem I have with the Hero is the peeling buttons.

I upgraded my WebOS Pre to the Moment last December and love the Moment.

The Evo shouldn't be any larger or heavier than my TP2.

So when the Evo drops, I will be upgrading from the Hero to the Evo to get the newer Android OS and the 1 gig processor....

Last edited:

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I am a bit afraid of the size too. It looks absolutely huge. I'm not one to watch movies or any of that on a phone so I don't need a screen that big.

I think the HD2 at t-mobile is the same screen size but I think the evo is thinner. I'm hoping Spring stores will have demo phones soon. The evo does look like a world beater but I might be happier with a HTC Desire or Nexus One.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you. I decided to pull the trigger and purchased a really decent Sprint Hero on Ebay. Received it on Wednesday, rooted it on Thursday. And now enjoying the mobility of Ipad while tethered to the Hero among other things.

I'm set with the Hero for now. So will wait until the EVO has been out for awhile and available on Ebay for really good price without contract (I personally do not like the confinement of contracts). This will hopefully also let the cost for EVO Hot Spot feature become well known.

Best wishes on your decision....

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I think the HD2 at t-mobile is the same screen size but I think the evo is thinner. I'm hoping Spring stores will have demo phones soon. The evo does look like a world beater but I might be happier with a HTC Desire or Nexus One.

I like the size of the screen, my only concern is if it will fit in my pocket. I'm pretty sure it will but gotta get my hands on one first :D

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Checked out an HD2 today at a t-mobile store today. It's almost identical to the HTC evo. It's too big for my taste. That is a beast of a phone that looks more like a small tablet than a phone.

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I would wait at this point myself. Even if you aren't somewhere with 4G already, the phone will still rock on the 3G side of things. The device isn't all that much bigger than the iPhone relatively speaking. It is 4 mm wider and 6 mm taller. I'm thinking that can fit into my pocket just fine. Probably needed the size for the dual antenna...

Comparison to the iPhone (specs only)
PDAcomparer | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

Comparison to HD2 (specs only)
PDAcomparer | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

Comparison to Hero (Specs only) - looks to be 1 cm taller and wider than the hero.

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Get both! If you can anyways. I got a Hero back in October after using both the Hero and the Moment, for having a "faster" cpu, the Moment felt about the same as the Hero and that was stock Sense vs stock AOSP.

Hopefully my piggy bank will have enough by Evo release date, but if it doesnt, Ill be using my Hero like nothing ever happened.

ballroomdru

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I had this debate with myself as well. I ended up ordering the Hero today and it will be here tomorrow. My thought process was as much as I lust after the Evo, I had to be brought back down to earth. I live in an area where there is no 4g yet, there will be bugs (just like every new device) so I'll wait for those to be worked out and then there was the price issue. I was able to get the Hero for $49 with using my husband's upgrade and then my line will be up for a Premier upgrade in July. I'm lucky where my husband doesn't really care about gadgets so I hog all the upgrades. As cool as the Evo looks, the reality is I just don't need it right now. However, I'm a stay at home mom/medical transcription student who will use the phone for shopping list apps, facebook, texting, medical apps and a calendar so your needs may be different.

How did you get the phone for $49?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89