HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
My notifications didnt work when i got the device either. I think the store rep used some Tmobile tool to move my information over which i actually preferred to do, but since its their job... Anyways, I got home and noticed my screen wouldnt go to sleep, thats when i noticed the notification didnt work. So, I factory reset it, loaded my cloudbackup.The settings and information and it was the exact same layout with everything from my old device. After the facory reset my notifications worked and the screen went to sleep like it was supposed to. I havent had any issue sinc except Youtube wouldnt play videos from different webstites. Meaning if there was a youtube link it wouldnt give the option to play it in the youtube app or open a webpage for it. Reinstalling the youtube app fixed that. No issues since. But to me those werent really issues, since they're things I dont really mind doing. Part of breaking the device in and getting it set to my liking. I love this device.

Thirst91

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
So I got my M8 today through Verizon and have also not been getting any notification LED. I tried to disable Verizon Messaging app and it still did not work. I finally just broke down and did the reset and it works! I went through the setup without restoring any apps or anything like was mentioned earlier. I never has this problem with my S4 so i hope HTC fixes it soon but at least the reset fixes it.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, notification lights are not working in M8 except charging. Please advise what is the issue and when it will be resolved.

Unfortunately a factory restore may be your only option to get the lights to work properly. Supposedly HTC is aware of the issue and working on it but who knows when this will happen.

Do the factory restore but skip step about restoring the apps - that's what fixed it for me anyway. When I setup the phone the first time I let it restore the third party apps. If you skip that step you only get the stuff that was on the phone originally and then you can add whichever apps you choose one by one.

Blazian

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
OK everyone, the way to fix your LED light for text messages is to go into Settings. Then go to More under Wireless and Networks. Then change Default SMS App to Messages. Viola note your status light will blink when you get text messages. As a matter of fact whatever app you choose as your Default it should start you getting your notifications again. I really don't think this is a software glitch. It's just a setting that's really hard find if you aren't aware of it.

Last edited:

Don Campbell

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem as well. I tried installing LightFlow to test my notification light, but it still doesn't work. I'm open to any suggestion to get my notification light to work on my M8.

Tuulia

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Same LED-problems here in Finland too.. Local HTC-support said it's a third party problem because notification LED works fine in a test-mode. I hope HTC (or someone :)) fix this quickly.

Tuulia

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
OK everyone, the way to fix your LED light for text messages is to go into Settings. Then go to More under Wireless and Networks. Then change Default SMS App to Messages. Viola note your status light will blink when you get text messages. As a matter of fact whatever app you choose as your Default it should start you getting your notifications again. I really don't think this is a software glitch. It's just a setting that's really hard find if you aren't aware of it.

I just tried this - didn't help..

RonaldoRiddas

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
To fix the LED problem, when you first turned the phone on from new if you restored your Google account from the begging step by step tutorial LED won't work. You need to back up Google account. Factory reset phone. Then set up again as new without entering any current account information. Once you have got to the home screen of the newly reset m8 with nothing on it, go to setting, accounts and add your accounts such as Google via that method. This should then mean the LED Is working.

This worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
To fix the LED problem, when you first turned the phone on from new if you restored your Google account from the begging step by step tutorial LED won't work. You need to back up Google account. Factory reset phone. Then set up again as new without entering any current account information. Once you have got to the home screen of the newly reset m8 with nothing on it, go to setting, accounts and add your accounts such as Google via that method. This should then mean the LED Is working.

This worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app

Correct - this is the only proven method for fixing the LED notification problem.

Marc Levine

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I've had two phones from Tesco Mobile in the UK with this issue. Phoned HTC tech support who confirmed they are aware of the problem and working on a software fix. I'd be interested to know what version people have installed on their phones to see if it affects one or more releases. I've got version 1.54.401.5. The version number can be found under settings, about, software information.

H3cks

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay so here is my 2 cents and what I have determined.

When I first got the phone, I immediately input my Google account information and until I ran into this thread didn't realize that my notification light didn't work. I decided that is lame so I restored.

Restore #1 - Upon second run through, I didn't input Google information until it fully finished loading, etc. When I did put in my google info I stopped Market from downloading any of my apps. I did the one by one method. Prior to installing I did text messages to myself and was able to see the notificaiton blinking like it should (note that the blinking for notification is fairly bright and noticeable, but the charging one is dim and subtle). After installing the apps I wanted and leaving out any garbage that was auto installing, it was still working perfectly.

Now as soon as I decided to run the HTC Backup that I had via the OEM HTC Backup app (comes on T-mobile version stock), my LED notification broke again. I intended to run it just to get the text messages I had back, unfortunately whatever setting messed it up to begin with, messed it up again.

Restore #2 - Same as above, except I didn't run HTC backup utility to restore settings. I just lost messages for the sake of getting LED back. As of right now my LED works perfectly and blinks when I have notifications. I periodically send myself texts still cuz I'm paranoid and sure enough still works. I setup HTC backup to make new backup now that it works fine.

Important notes - If you are coming from a Samsung like I did, I feel there could be something conflicting with the phone that got loaded when I setup my new HTC. If you are coming from something other than Samsung, then maybe there is just a general bug with HTC not liking something other OEMs have on their phones. At the end of the day, there is something software related causing the issue and should still be fixed no matter what other OEMs bring over. Also, as everyone else has stated, there is a cut off to when the LED stops blinking, but I think it makes sense in the context of what it's for anyway. If you check your phone often you have that 5 minutes to actively see the LED and know you have something there. If you don't check it within that 5 minutes while it blinked, it will save the LED and more importantly you will check your phone anyway so the time limit is not a big bother to me. I just wanted it to work.

I hope this analysis helps someone else out there. Let me know if anyone else made the same observations.

Thb91

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had two phones from Tesco Mobile in the UK with this issue. Phoned HTC tech support who confirmed they are aware of the problem and working on a software fix. I'd be interested to know what version people have installed on their phones to see if it affects one or more releases. I've got version 1.54.401.5. The version number can be found under settings, about, software information.

That's great news. I can live without an LED for now it's just good to know a fix is on the horizon. Thanks for sharing.

tnstra

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Well OK I've read the thread (well most of it anyway). YES I did the hard reset and it got my LED working. BUT ..... I happen to not like the lock screen and when I went in and selected NO LOCK SCREEN the LED stopped working .... I reselected to have the standard lock screen ON and walla the LED started working again ..... I repeated this check and recheck several times with the same results.
SOOO for me the LED seems to work only with the lock screen turned on.
Now isn't that just sooooo special .... and I don't care to make more keystrokes (steps) than I have to so I can be where I want to be.
So the decision for me is going to be ...... either Lockscreen AND LED ooorrrrr No Lockscreen AND NO LED

Tom

Edit: I hav a friend who got an M8 yesterday only he's on AT&T and I'm on Verizon. He confirmed to me that his LED didn't work either. I told him to turn the lock screen on and he did and fixed the LED problem he had also. AND I took a moment to call HTC Support and share my finding with them.

2nd Edit: Disabling Blinkfeed makes the LED notification work all the time !!!!!

Last edited:

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same issue of my notification light not working either from day one, I had everything checked to have LED notification, however no go. After searching and searching I found https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.jannux.switchledon LED Notifier On and it worked, I didn't have to factory reset which I was dreading.. Just wanted to post it in case it helps someone else, I found the information from a poster on xda developer. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty