Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By KayIslandDrunk
  • 1 Post By fryguy1
  • 1 Post By jec11718
  • 1 Post By Ken7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wireless Charging VS Wired

Are there any advantages for wireless charging? I'm considering purchasing one but can't see the necessity. With my device plugged in with a wired charger I have the convenience of using the phone while it charges, i.e making calls. With a charging pad the device obviously can only charge while lying on the base.
    The best revenge against haters is massive success!

Default Re: Wireless Charging VS Wired

Just convenience and maybe a little less stress on your usb port over time.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by cyberr8der View Post
    Just convenience and maybe a little less stress on your usb port over time.

Port preservation makes sense.
    Do you have an example wherein base charging is more convenient than wired charging?

^ Interesting thought I hadn't considered. My GS3 has a wonky port and the cable easily detaches.

Convenience as in coming home or leaving and just putting down or picking up the phone without having to deal with a cable. Not trying to sell you on it or anything. If you don't want it don't buy it lol

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by cyberr8der View Post
    Convenience as in coming home or leaving and just putting down or picking up the phone without having to deal with a cable. Not trying to sell you on it or anything. If you don't want it don't buy it lol

I'm well aware of my purchasing freedoms.
    This wireless charging is new to me so I'm interested in the advantages and disadvantages of base charging VS wired charging as seen by others who might have used wireless charging.
    Just wanted to get some thoughts.
    Thank you for yours.

Honestly outside of the ease of just throwing your phone on something vs having to pick up the wire and plug out in I think the only benefit is that it's "cool."

Thanked by:
    moosc likes this.

I use wireless on my TouchPad mostly because the USB port on these break easily. I can say it is more convenient and my wife never plugged the USB all the way in or sometime upside down. Charging for the TouchPad is slower using wireless especially through a case. Not sure how it will be for this phone though. I also remember for the TouchPad that you had to make sure there was no metal between the charger and the TouchPad so make sure no metal in your case. I would guess it would apply here too.
    Nreeldeep likes this.

I was concerned that a case would slow it down. I guess it depends on the thickness and material of the case.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by KayIslandDrunk View Post
    Honestly outside of the ease of just throwing your phone on something vs having to pick up the wire and plug out in I think the only benefit is that it's "cool."

That makes a lot of sense. I think if you use a bluetooth unit, you could talk while the phone charges on the pad. If you don't have a bluetooth then picking up the phone from the base shuts off the charging whereas having a wired connection provides the convenience of talking on the phone while it charges, if you don't use bluetooth devices.
    My Verizon store has a charging pad on sale so I'm curious. I've never used one.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
    I was concerned that a case would slow it down. I guess it depends on the thickness and material of the case.
    The rep at my Verizon store demoed a G2 with a silicone case on while charging on a pad. I'm concerned about the charging speed as well with the case.

I have the wireless capability on my droid DNA.... It's great for overnight charging, I still carry a cord for work, it saves at least50% of wear on your port. The Nokia dt900 is what I'm using. I would be on the HTC one if it had wireless but it doesn't so no deal, mine charges thru my cruzerlite case with no issues. Hth....josh

sent from my Nos M7 DNA
    Thanked by:
    Nreeldeep likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by jec11718 View Post
    I have the wireless capability on my droid DNA.... It's great for overnight charging, I still carry a cord for work, it saves at least50% of wear on your port. The Nokia dt900 is what I'm using. I would be on the HTC one if it had wireless but it doesn't so no deal, mine charges thru my cruzerlite case with no issues. Hth....josh

sent from my Nos M7 DNA
    So you actually require wireless charging on your devices.

I've ordered the TYLT wireless charger. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
    Thanked by:
    moosc likes this.

I'm on my second phone with wireless charging. I don't consider it a necessity, but it is convenient. I like setting it on the charger and not fooling with a cable. Minor I know, but I like it.
    Thanked by:

After buying 4 LG pads (2 for the car) I require wireless charging which is why I don't have a Moto X. Charging rate depends on your phone. My wife's S3 has fast charge enabled via lean kernel and when I had the Palm Pre hack on my GNex I would get charging rates about (or equal) to usb. You just have to make sure you have a the proper plug, cable, and pad as well as software.

I think I'd just as well have the thinner ATT style profile housing and let the wireless charging go, especially since reports are that it takes longer to charge. At least I could get a decent case by now.