Charging The G3

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The charger that came with phone works great, however, Im looking for a charger to have in the office should the need arise. The IT guy at work says that I can use a Blackberry charger, and I should be concerned with it adversely affecting the phone. Is it ok to do this?

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The charger that came with phone works great, however, Im looking for a charger to have in the office should the need arise. The IT guy at work says that I can use a Blackberry charger, and I should be concerned with it adversely affecting the phone. Is it ok to do this?

Get a 2a charger, not a 1a. Older phones like Samsung Galaxy s3 use 1a chargers. Also, tablets like Nexus 10 use a 2a chargers so that will also work fine with the G3. In the office - why not use a USB port on a PC if you're not in a rush to charge? All you need is an extra micro usb cable.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
And good quality charger that has a micro-USB connector should work fine. All micro-USB chargers output 5 volts. If the BB chargers has a lower output capacity (in milli-amps) than the stock charger, your phone will charge slower, that's all. If the charger has a higher output, the phone's charging circuitry will limit the amount going to the battery to the appropriate level.

SFG14

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm using one of the BB chargers (1.8a?) off Amazon. He'll of a deal for $5 with 6 ft cable. Charges comparably to stock speeds. Not 100% sure if it's a fake though, but it had a ton of positive reviews. Look for BlackBerry premium charger.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just want to be clear with something here....its NOT the cable that charges quickly but the USB AC charger that does right?! So, if I use an old Samsung cable BUT use the stock LG USB AC charger, it should charge quickly correct?? Or is it a combo of the charger and cable that give you the quick charging capability??

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I just want to be clear with something here....its NOT the cable that charges quickly but the USB AC charger that does right?! So, if I use an old Samsung cable BUT use the stock LG USB AC charger, it should charge quickly correct?? Or is it a combo of the charger and cable that give you the quick charging capability??

The cable has nothing to do with it as they are all a standard build of wires.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Use the USB 3 port of course. Cables can make a difference. I've read of some charging slowly. Not sure if defective or different wiring.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Use the USB 3 port of course. Cables can make a difference. I've read of some charging slowly. Not sure if defective or different wiring.

Thanks guys!

When I plug in my retractable micro USB cable here at work from my PC to my G3, it charges REALLY SLOW! Then again, I only have USB 2.0 ports here on this PC. I'll have to now try different cables and USB 3.0 ports to see what I get. This is going to be interesting, lol! :)

SFG14

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys!

When I plug in my retractable micro USB cable here at work from my PC to my G3, it charges REALLY SLOW! Then again, I only have USB 2.0 ports here on this PC. I'll have to now try different cables and USB 3.0 ports to see what I get. This is going to be interesting, lol! :)

From what I've gathered your phone will have to have a USB 3.0 port like the S5 as well, as well as a special cable that connects it to the 3.0 port on the pc.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys!

USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 are both low amperage's, rated at a maximum of 0.5A and 0.9A. What you want is a "powered" USB port, ideally. Normal USB ports are 5 volt. The powered ones are 12V (some even go up to 24V which are typically used for Point-Of-Sale devices) and can deliver 1.5A of juice.

I hope I have not confused you too much. ;)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 are both low amperage's, rated at a maximum of 0.5A and 0.9A. What you want is a "powered" USB port, ideally. Normal USB ports are 5 volt. The powered ones are 12V (some even go up to 24V which are typically used for Point-Of-Sale devices) and can deliver 1.5A of juice.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. In my reply, I said if you're not in rush, charging from a PC will do the job. And USB3 is faster than USB2. Since I've been using my G3 there's no need to charge during the day. I charge at night even if 60 or 70% is left at the end of the day!

The micro-USB cables can make a huge difference.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
A standard USB port outputs only 500mAmps, so yes, it's going to charge slowly.

Thanks guys!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

You confused everyone!!!

No USB port will ever put out 12 volts, or 24 volts. Plugging a device that expects a USB input into those voltages will fry it very, very quickly. EVERY USB port puts out 5 volts, as does every USB charger. What powered ports provide is more current, measured in milliamps or amps.

The USB standard calls for computers to supply 500 mAmps (1/2 amp) of current. A powered port will provide up to 1.5 amps (or 1500 milliAmps). But still at 5 volts.

Connecting a device designed for one voltage into a circuit supplying a higher voltage is a very bad idea.

NeoMatrixJR

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Not true. When I first opened my G3 I forgot to grab the new charger out of the box. I had an old Samsung 1A charger and a CHEAP, LONG cable (from china) that worked fine on my S3 for an overnight charge. I never thought about it. Plugged the G3 in and went to bed. The next morning my brand new phone was DEAD. Eventually I ordered one of those USB Volt/Amp checkers. Turns out that skinny assed long cable was only putting about .1A out. The phone used more power than it was getting. I tried an old cable that came with the sammy charger that we thought was going bad. Sure enough, same thing. Grabbed the nice, new LG *cable* (not the charger) and got .8A. Put it on the LG charger and got 1.2-1.5A. Put a crappy cable on the LG charger and still only got .1A or so. Crappy/old cables can make a HUGE difference.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89