WiFi Issues Using Network Extender

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So in my home I have an network extender set up to boost my WiFi on the side of my house where it is a little weaker. Speed tests show blasting upload/download speeds (50+ Down and 20+ Up) but I notice issues with notifications not coming over in real time or images within Instagram or Facebook taking forever to load. With the notification issue all of a sudden I will get a ton that flood in that are sometimes hours past when they were initially pushed. If I am connected to my main SSID (off the extender) things seem to come over fine. I checked the settings within the extender, but cannot seem to find anything that would either help or hinder things. Any thoughts on how to correct this? Thanks in advance.

Note: While it is the same network, the main SSID and the extenders SSID are different. I did have them as the same, but that didn't help any. In fact I would prefer them to be the same to make things easier when I travel throughout my home.

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. Our extender, from time to time, likes to not work, so I have to unplug the extender then plug it back in to kind of reset it. Look into network extenders. They are not the greatest thing in the world, and having an access point would actually be better to have.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Possibly related: at work we have a network with access points all over the building, each with the same SSID. My Nexus 4, 7, and Shield Tablet have to trouble negotiating these different access points when I move around the building. The G3, on the other hand, hangs on for dear life to the access point it started on, even as it gets too weak to actually transmit data. Then it eventually disconnects due to no Internet connectivity (because I have that box checked in the settings). It sometimes finds a closer access point after that, but it's slow. Wtf? I am forced to turn off WiFi and roll with the T-Mobile network in my building if I want reliable data as I move around.

Sorry, got on a rant. But it's a related multiple APN issue, maybe.

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. Our extender, from time to time, likes to not work, so I have to unplug the extender then plug it back in to kind of reset it. Look into network extenders. They are not the greatest thing in the world, and having an access point would actually be better to have.

Posted via the Android Central App

I agree about the access point theory, but that really is not an option unless I want to run cable for it from one side of my house to another. I could, but I don't feel like opening up walls (as I am not about to have cables running along the floorboards) unless I am renovating that portion of my house in its entirety.

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the access point theory, but that really is not an option unless I want to run cable for it from one side of my house to another. I could, but I don't feel like opening up walls (as I am not about to have cables running along the floorboards) unless I am renovating that portion of my house in its entirety.

Yeah, I completely understand where you are coming from, which is why we went with a range extender, opposed to an AP. But, yeah, I mean that is just how extenders are from what I have read into. Disconnect it and reconnect from the power source if you end up losing internet on your phone. That should solve the problem as it seems to solve mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty