Anker Quick charger vs Stock Charger - Test & Results

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Were you measuring charge current with anything like Ampere?

Yes. But Ampere doesn't log, so it's not really ideal for this.

So I also had Battery Monitor Widget running. Its "History" section should do exactly what I want (log data, and export to .CSV), but for me, the History tab is flaky. Sometimes it doesn't take readings at all, or disobeys the log interval I have set (might be 15 minutes between entries sometimes, vs the 2 minutes I selected, and I do have it set to Always record data).

I got some screenshots of Battery Monitor Widget from my test, but I'd like to try and repeat it to control the test a little better.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. But Ampere doesn't log, so it's not really ideal for this.

So I also had Battery Monitor Widget running. Its "History" section should do exactly what I want (log data, and export to .CSV), but for me, the History tab is flaky. Sometimes it doesn't take readings at all, or disobeys the log interval I have set (might be 15 minutes between entries sometimes, vs the 2 minutes I selected, and I do have it set to Always record data).

I got some screenshots of Battery Monitor Widget from my test, but I'd like to try and repeat it to control the test a little better.

Very nice. I only have Ampere but I would think if there was significant enough improvement, you could see it in the max mA number. With my Tenergy charger, it usually charges at 1960-1990 mA max, although I've seen it hit 2040. I might try taking the battery door off later and using a fan and see if it goes higher.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

rsbenedict

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
First of all, I have the ANKER as well and it DOES quick charge. Per the Quick Charge specs, the Quick Charge only works up to 50% battery charge. After the battery hits 50%, it slows down to normal charging so as not to damage the battery. So all of the tests that show up to 70% or from 52% won't reflect the true speed.

The comparison has to be from near 0 to 50% and compare apples to apples. When you compare up to 70%, the overall %/minute is going to average down as the last 20% is at normal speed and it will make it look like quick charge is only a minimal speed up.

I haven't done any of these tests, but anecdotal, here's what I know. In my living room, I have the quick charge and it said it would only take another 30 minutes to get to 100% (I don't remember what the percentage the battery was at that time, but it doesn't matter for the anecdotal note). In the bedroom, where I charge my phone at night, there is a normal ANKER IQ 5 port USB charger. When I removed the phone from the ANKER QC in the living room where it said 30% to full charge to the bedroom with normal ANKER charger, it said it would be just over an hour to full charge. That's proof that the ANKER QC > ANKER IQ regular charger.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I have the ANKER as well and it DOES quick charge. Per the Quick Charge specs, the Quick Charge only works up to 50% battery charge. After the battery hits 50%, it slows down to normal charging so as not to damage the battery. So all of the tests that show up to 70% or from 52% won't reflect the true speed.

The comparison has to be from near 0 to 50% and compare apples to apples. When you compare up to 70%, the overall %/minute is going to average down as the last 20% is at normal speed and it will make it look like quick charge is only a minimal speed up.

I haven't done any of these tests, but anecdotal, here's what I know. In my living room, I have the quick charge and it said it would only take another 30 minutes to get to 100% (I don't remember what the percentage the battery was at that time, but it doesn't matter for the anecdotal note). In the bedroom, where I charge my phone at night, there is a normal ANKER IQ 5 port USB charger. When I removed the phone from the ANKER QC in the living room where it said 30% to full charge to the bedroom with normal ANKER charger, it said it would be just over an hour to full charge. That's proof that the ANKER QC > ANKER IQ regular charger.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. QC 2.0 is not working according the the specs on the Qualcomm website.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

Their test device was doing 2%/minute from 0-60%. I have not seen a single post here or on XDA showing anywhere near that. The best I have personally achieved is 1.2%/minute with my Tenergy charger.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anker Quick charger vs Stock Charger - Test & Results

Even 0-50%,I was not able to get anywhere close to 30 minutes. 30 minutes is more like 35% with the quick charger. You can look at my charing profile which I linked to earlier. It was with Samsung adaptive charger, but subsequent testing with the Anker qc 2.0 charger got a similar result.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4490560

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, but I have to disagree. QC 2.0 is not working according the the specs on the Qualcomm website.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

Their test device was doing 2%/minute from 0-60%. I have not seen a single post here or on XDA showing anywhere near that. The best I have personally achieved is 1.2%/minute with my Tenergy charger.

From everything I've heard, the G4's charging speed with a QC 2.0 charger is significantly slower than, say, the S6. This is disappointing, as the ability to quickly recharge when you only have limited-time access to power could be a big help.

And my regular-charging performance with the screen on has been quite underwhelming, as documented elsewhere. Frequently 280mA, which would take 10 hours to a full charge.

But my fear is that LG may focus on this statement on Qualcomm's QC 2.0 page, at that link:

"Remember, a Quick Charge 2.0 certified power adapter is required to charge at the speeds Quick Charge 2.0 is designed to allow. Different Quick Charge 2.0 implementations may result in different charging times."

If they say it supports QC 2.0, to me, that implies charging "fast". Say ~2%/minute (which varies based on battery size, of course, for a given input power), or at least significantly faster than a typical 2.1A/5V wall charger (which provides 10.5W, vs 18W listed for various QC 2.0 chargers).

But LG's interpretation might be simply >10.5W, not ~18W. Or, heck, just that it can accept 9V-in, rather than 5V-in.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I am using the Anker QC charger but it doesn't seem to be doing quick charge. My S6 would not take this long.

I do have the international model so not sure if that matters.

Attachments

• 1434307693805.jpg
    1434307693805.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 1434307701789.jpg
    1434307701789.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 24

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am using the Anker QC charger but it doesn't seem to be doing quick charge. My S6 would not take this long.

The note 4 does around 9v/1.67a or approximately 15w. My guesstimate is that if it did support qc 2.0, it might be around 11w,perhaps 9v/1.2a, which is still using the quick charge 2.0 standard, but at a lower level. Now the Anker can do 18w,9v/2a.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

I do have the international model so not sure if that matters.

On the S6, if you use Ampere or something that can display the current going into the battery, what does that show, with a fast charger? Preferably with the screen on, but either way, as long as we know how it was tested.

Looking *just* at %/minute can muddy the waters a bit. Take the same phone, give it a 1500mAh battery, then a 3000mAh battery. If you're only looking at %/minute, the 1500mAh battery would make it seem that the phone is charging twice as fast as it does with 3000mAh. But really, the charge current stays the same, the smaller battery just fills faster.

As the S6 has a smaller battery, 2550mAh vs 3000mAh, the same charge current that shows 2%/minute on the S6 would already only show 1.7%/minute on the G4. So expecting 2%/minute, as an example, might not be realistic. But I'm hoping we can see an improvement vs the charge performance as it stands now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

On the S6, if you use Ampere or something that can display the current going into the battery, what does that show, with a fast charger? Preferably with the screen on, but either way, as long as we know how it was tested.

Looking *just* at %/minute can muddy the waters a bit. Take the same phone, give it a 1500mAh battery, then a 3000mAh battery. If you're only looking at %/minute, the 1500mAh battery would make it seem that the phone is charging twice as fast as it does with 3000mAh. But really, the charge current stays the same, the smaller battery just fills faster.

As the S6 has a smaller battery, 2550mAh vs 3000mAh, the same charge current that shows 2%/minute on the S6 would already only show 1.7%/minute on the G4. So expecting 2%/minute, as an example, might not be realistic. But I'm hoping we can see an improvement vs the charge performance as it stands now.
S6 doesn't charge as fast mah wise as the note 4,but both do about 50% in 30 minutes. The Note 4 battery is larger than the g4 battery. I posted the charging profile of the Note 4 here.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/453603-note-4-charging-profile.html

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

rsbenedict

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

I don't think the S6 uses qualcomm's implementation as it's not a qualcomm chip which is a requirement for qc 2.0.

rsbenedict

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't have an amperage meter. How else can I check the rate of charge other than simple division? Once my battery goes down into single digits, I'll charge it to 60% and see how long it takes and post results, but other than division, I don't know of an app that will show rate of charge.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an amperage meter. How else can I check the rate of charge other than simple division? Once my battery goes down into single digits, I'll charge it to 60% and see how long it takes and post results, but other than division, I don't know of an app that will show rate of charge.

Download "Ampere"

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
The Ampere app will show charge current. So will GSam Battery Monitor.

Battery Monitor Widget will also do it, and can also graph & export the data, but it has been a bit flaky for me, in terms of actually logging the data. It displays it just fine, however.

You're right, the S6 doesn't use QC 2.0, but apparently Samsung has their own similar fast-charging feature.

Posted via the Android Central App

fgcchevy

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I haven't done any scientific tests, but I have the anker quick charger 2.0, and if I'm down to say 15% and I put it in charger within 20-30 minutes its at 60%.

I will let my battery drain tonight and actually time the time to get a little more accuracy. I am using a sprint lg g4.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

S6 doesn't charge as fast mah wise as the note 4,but both do about 50% in 30 minutes. The Note 4 battery is larger than the g4 battery. I posted the charging profile of the Note 4 here.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/453603-note-4-charging-profile.html

I took a look at your thread, thank you. Impressive charging speed, it gained 46% (17->63%) in 31 minutes.

It's just too bad that Battery Monitor doesn't show the actual charge current for that phone. That would have provided some nice insight.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't think the S6 uses qualcomm's implementation as it's not a qualcomm chip which is a requirement for qc 2.0.
Samsung uses adaptive charging which is compatible with qualcomm quick charge and operates similarly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denis870