Anyone else disappointed in the G4's camera?

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the camera. Your issue is that the subject is black, with insufficient lighting, and the only thing the camera can do is to overexpose the rest of the scene to try and use the window light to compensate. Don't care what phone (or most cameras) you have in the same situation. It will either underexpose the subject (dog) trying to preserve highlights, or it will over expose and you'll get what you showed.

This is a case where even a dslr is going to struggle, unless you use manual mode, balance exposure for the background, and use a flash to fill light the dog.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Regarding focus - are you using tap to focus? I have not noticed slow focus or lag at all, but I do generally tap to focus. I suppose the software that tries to determine what to focus on could be weak and that may be causing your problems and why I have not seen those problems.

Action shots- eh, not sure really as I find the whole form factor and ergonomics of phones not really conducive to good action shots so I really don't bother with them and when I do and get bad shots, I blame my technique and poor handling of the phone for the biggest part of any disappointment. I would really be surprised if any phone camera is consistently taking great action shots.

Regarding video - I find it to be pretty good, but I do try to use good technique and hold the phone steady while making a video. It could be that if you are not using good technique the OIS system can't keep up.

The audio may be mediocre, as in average, but it certainly isn't bad.

Excellent points. No. I am not using tap to focus. If I do, it's instant to take the pic. Makes sense though as it's and already locked the focus and exposure. It's precisely that which causes the delay if you don't tap to focus. :)

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Some other pet pictures. The first has HDR off, the second has it turned on.

The HDR version does a better job of keeping the details of her body in the shadows, and doesn't blow out her front paws quite as much. But they are still over-exposed.

Edit- on the note of tap to focus, I noticed tonight that tapping seems to "expire" after maybe 2-3 seconds. I'd tap, and see the exposure and focus (I think) change. But a few seconds later, it would go back to being presumably just center-weighted.

That seems annoying, to me. I often tap to make sure it is focused, to reduce the shutter lag. But if I am waiting for the right moment to take the picture, then my tap will expire, possibly right before I want to shoot. If I tapped, it should leave it there until I tell it otherwise, IMO.

Attachments

• 1437700559342.jpg
    1437700559342.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 1437700578028.jpg
    1437700578028.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 45

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of back-light... This morning around 9am, our landscaper came to take pictures of his finished project for his website. The sun was about 30 degree up to the right. He has a point and shoot camera and no matter what he tries, he couldn't get anything remotely acceptable. He said he has to come back in the evening. So I took out my G4 and slap a pic for him with manual settings. I think it turns out really well... he was shocked that this is from a phone.

20150725_094659.jpg

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Direct sunlight back-lighting a dark subject will not work well. Ever.

I hope my post wasn't misleading.

I did not mean it as a complaint about the pictures I posted, or as an example of being disappointed with the the camera.

It was intended, instead, as an example of how HDR can help somewhat, even in difficult lighting situations.

The only thing I could have done is try using the flash to act as a fill-in (or move my cat somewhere else with different lighting :) ). But that wasn't really the point of my test.

tterri62

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
The pictures I have taken on my G4 are some of the best pictures I've ever taken on any phone. I took pics of some crystals I have and all I can say is wow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles