Why am I having issues with my internet with full strength wifi signal?

stoem

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Google Now Launcher Lag and Network Issues - Video included

Hi,
I've recently purchased a 2nd gen dual sim Moto G, having used a Nexus 4 and Nexus One for many years so I am very familiar with the Android OS.
The Moto G is showing several issues. One is the network lag whereby searches via the google search bar often 'hang' and do not respond with results for 10-20 seconds, sometimes not at all. The same happens with page loads in a browser.
Search often comes back with 'can't load search results', pages in a browser time out and Google Maps or other data heavy apps do not work ('no data connection'). The 'ok Google' command also stops working.
This is all whilst connected to a full strength Wifi signal on a network that is known to be working. This issue only affects this one device on the entire network. Very often a subsequent attempt to load the content works fine and I'm wondering if this is the same issue some users are reporting with apparent Wifi loss but full signal...

Another major issue is a distinct lag which has become apparent since the Google Now Launcher has been introduced. Returning to the homescreen, the device will show a blank homescreen (showing only the background image), then a flicker, and then icon appear row by row. It takes several seconds before another app can be selected.
This 16 second video I recorded shows the issue clearly after exiting from the Camera app (I can't post a link because I am new to the forum - maybe someone can post it for me in a reply):
YouTube video id: r9TcCAZG4Gs

I'm tempted to return this device as it's very frustrating to use. I already had one exchange item and the screen lag issue was confirmed on both devices. I did not get the chance to test the network problems on the first device.

Wondering of anyone has any input. The device is basically stock and brand new...

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

stoem

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google Now Launcher Lag and Network Issues - Video included

Thanks, I've been through most of the Wifi related stuff but will give safe mode a try. A quick try in safe mode seems to suggest less lag...

How may I track down the culprit? Install apps one by one?

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Now Launcher Lag and Network Issues - Video included

Right--that's probably the best way of identifying a culprit. You'll probably have to wait a bit between installations, to give some time for any issues to arise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38