Download 4.2.2?

drwtsn32

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Is there a place to download 4.2.2 for the Maxx? I am thinking of testing KitKat but would like the ability to go back to 4.2.2 if I experience issues that some other 4.4 users have (like Exchange sync with native email).

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Is there a place to download 4.2.2 for the Maxx? I am thinking of testing KitKat but would like the ability to go back to 4.2.2 if I experience issues that some other 4.4 users have (like Exchange sync with native email).

You can check to see if they have a 4.2.2 rom you could flash? Or are you talking about a 4.2.2 OTA update?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I see. Usually OTA's are irreversible so I suggest research to see how the experience of others is before updating.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you have a dev edition you can unlock the bootloader and go back (and you can download the jellybean image directly from Motorola.com), but the kitkat update on the standard, bootloader locked Maxx will not be able to go back to the jellybean build.

drwtsn32

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Really? But you can upgrade using the Recovery menu manually to 4.4 it seems. I figured you could also downgrade using the same method. Not allowed huh?

danman7

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Motorola has made it a irreversible trip from 4.2.2 to 4.4, at least on a locked bootloader. From what I surmise, this is at the behest of Verizon, but I have no actual evidence of that. It is definitely a departure from what was done for the Moto X 4.4 update.

drwtsn32

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep.... that's what I'll plan on doing...just waiting. It gets annoying having my phone prompt me every day to update to KitKat, but I don't want to risk making something work worse. 4.2.2 is working very well for me!

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yep.... that's what I'll plan on doing...just waiting. It gets annoying having my phone prompt me every day to update to KitKat, but I don't want to risk making something work worse. 4.2.2 is working very well for me!

I had a Moto X Developers Edition and I have gone from 4.2.2 to KitKat several times. I'm really not seeing much difference. I did this using ADB commands even before unlocking the boot loader The ADB files and commands can be found over at the XDA Moto X forum. I did not see a XDA Moto Maxx forum yet. I hope I just missed it or one will start soon. I have a Moto Maxx Developers Edition on order and really don't mind if it comes with KitKat or 4.2.2. If I had a Moto X now I would upgrade, YMMV.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a Moto X Developers Edition and I have gone from 4.2.2 to KitKat several times. I'm really not seeing much difference. I did this using ADB commands even before unlocking the boot loader The ADB files and commands can be found over at the XDA Moto X forum. I did not see a XDA Moto Maxx forum yet. I hope I just missed it or one will start soon. I have a Moto Maxx Developers Edition on order and really don't mind if it comes with KitKat or 4.2.2. If I had a Moto X now I would upgrade, YMMV.

The Maxx is discussed in the Ultra forum on XDA.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Motorola has made it a irreversible trip from 4.2.2 to 4.4, at least on a locked bootloader. From what I surmise, this is at the behest of Verizon, but I have no actual evidence of that. It is definitely a departure from what was done for the Moto X 4.4 update.

I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions across manufacturers and phone models, but in most cases you can't downgrade the OS when the bootloader is locked...

Of course getting the bootloader unlocked is easy on some phones, and next to impossible on others, and that's really where folks like to blame Verizon's policies, but that's somewhat of a different issue.