Unable to send or receive pictures on Skype

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I am on my second replacement turbo 2 from Verizon. My previous 2 had broken charging ports. I have had this one for about a week now. I am unable to send or receive pictures on Skype. I had no issues on my previous phones. My Skype version is 7.31.0.280. My software update version is 24.14.16.en.US. Android version 6.0.1. If any other information is needed please let me know and thanks for the help.
Edit: I have not done a FDR. My system version is 24.31.22.kinzie_verizon.verzon.en.US

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you get any sort of error while trying to send/receive a picture? I just tried on mine and I don't have issues (but I don't have a Turbo, I'm on an S7 Edge). Are you sure you have good data connectivity? Are other data-related apps glitching out? Did you update the software recently and it was working before (My version is 7.30.0.1372, so yours sounds like a newer version).

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
No errors. It shows downloading then it's just a grey square. Same thing when I send people pictures. The picture I send shows up on my end. When I first started Skype was at 7.29 and has since updated twice. This is with this phone. I'm unsure what version it was on my other phones. It doesn't matter if I'm on a wifi or network signal.

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
I have tried that twice. I've also gone to airplane mode then force stop app.
I have gone into app to make sure it has all permission. I'm sure I could be missing something. I also asked this question on the Skype help last Friday/Saturday. Have not heard a response.

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Only reason I think it's a phone issue. Skype worked fine on my previous turbo 2 before lunch after lunch I swapped to my replacement then Skype didn't work with the pictures.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, let's try this. Boot up your phone in 'Safe Mode' and try with one of the picture messages. Do they go through? Have you had any other issues with Skype, like not being able to make calls or texts not going through?

Last thing I can think of is finding the APK of an older version (my version maybe? at least I know that one works) and seeing if now it works. If it's that, then it's definitely an app bug.

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
I have not had any other issues with Skype. None of my other apps have any issues with sending or receiving pictures. How do I do what you are talking about with the APK. I have never heard of this. If you have a link or tell me what to research I have no problem trying it. Thanks again

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have no link, but the APK is basically looking for the app file for manual installation. For free apps, there are a bunch of sites that have those, useful for devices that are no longer compatible or don't have access to Google Play (problem is you have to be careful, these are essentially 'ripped off' app files, you need to know the site is of 'good reputation' to make sure the file isn't malicious).

But you're on to something: You don't have the issue in Safe Mode. That means that a 3rd party app, not your phone's OS or stock apps, is interfering in some way with Skype. Are there any apps that you recall having installed since the issue began?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm confused now. In Safe Mode, did you have the issue with Skype pictures or not? As for the APK, it's basically manually installing an app (sideloading). You would need to find the file online for an older version of Skype and install it on your phone. This would let you test if the version of Skype is what caused the issue or not. The Play Store only lets you install the newest version, so for older versions of an app, you have to look for the APK file (something not entirely legal, but not exactly illegal since the app itself is free).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the Turbo, so I don;t recall - is Skype a preinstalled app?

If not, what happens if you uninstall the app and then reinstall it?

If it is, what happens if you uninstall the updates, and then not update the app?

If this doesn't work, what happens if you sign out of your account and sign in again?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte17