Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Shutter Sound?

Is there a way to turn of the shutter sound for the stock camera app?

If not, then can anyone point me in the direction for a market app, preferably one that is free.

Oddly enough the shutter sound is linked to the phone ringer so if you turn the ringer volume down the shutter sound goes down too.

In addition to silencing the ringer, you may also need to go into your alrm clock app and turn off the feature for the alarm to work while in silent mode.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

If you don't hear the shutter sound (maybe quieter), it's hard to know when the X actually takes the photo. I like having the sound, unless it's a situation where any sounds are distracting (ex: wedding vows).
    Always learning ...

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I found that turning the System Volume down affected my shutter sound. I'm using the Audiomanager widget for sound control.

Silent Snap is an app on the market that silences your phone and opens the camera at the same time.

Theres only a few reason why someone would want to do this that the person they are taking it of is unaware.. a few are they want to be shady.. or predatorial.. or pedophiling..

in most instances, it's not for the good of the person being shot..

What was the reason again for not wanting a shutter sound again? I forgot..

EDIT. PS. there's a reason why the FCC mandated that you can't disable it.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    I don't think there is an FCC rule about not having a shutter sound on camera phones. My Epic 4G has FCC clearance and it has a "shutter sound = off" option.

It seems to be more of a manufacturer choice/safety courtesy, like the language on cable television (not FCC regulated, but kept relatively clean on many channels anyway).

Actually, check it out,

Bill Summary & Status - 111th Congress (2009 - 2010) - H.R.414 - All Information - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

So far it's in "introduced" status.. FCC(or rather CPSC) hasn't taken any steps. However, it's there and on everyone's minds.

but get my gist? the bill is called "Camera Phone Predator Alert Act" for a reason. :P

This is ridiculous. We don't need more government taking care of everyone. Be careful of what you support. A few years from now, you might find that it's illegal to have a swimming pool because their a leading cause of childhood death, or find that you can no longer buy red meat because there are too many fat people draining the governmental health budget. Sounds crazy, huh?

I like to turn my shutter sound off sometimes so I can capture a few candid shots of one of my kids. If they heard the shutter, they'd stop doing whatever was cute.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Imagine replacing yourself with a known sex offender who also likes to turn off the shutter sound and take pictures of your kids doing cute things..

if that happens, you'll change your tune.

No one likes giving up some freedoms until it DIRECTLY affects them.

How many people don't care for the Adam Walsh fund? ehh.. I dont..I dont have any kids. 10 years from now I could have a kid that gets abducted and then I go into super crazy mode about how we should put more money into it.

What about Christopher Reeves.. he didn't care for stem cell research..yet AFTER his accident, he became a huge advocate for it.

When bad things happen, people's minds change.

The problem is that the bad things happen to an infinitesimally small number of people. Sure if you're one of those few, you support the issue, but does that mean that all of us should have to have useful things denied because of this?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

The FCC, FDA, FTC and other Federal bureau's sole job is to protect Americans from ourselves and corporations.

I am somewhat gratified for their rolls. I support net neutrality, I support E911 and I also support not shutting off the camera sound but that's just my opinion.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Sniffs, paranoid much? Geesh

Not paranoid at all.. Do you like companies being able to tell you what traffic goes through your home internet? Do you like it that Verizon would put their website on high priority and torrents on low priority? or youtube videos on low priority? Keeping the net neutral is at the heart of net neutrality. I support NN.

E911? So if you get kidnapped and call 911, you don't want the police to be able to track your location in that situation?

and I've already said my spiel on shutter sounds.

Not paranoid at all.. Do you like companies being able to tell you what traffic goes through your home internet? Do you like it that Verizon would put their website on high priority and torrents on low priority? or youtube videos on low priority? Keeping the net neutral is at the heart of net neutrality. I support NN.

E911? So if you get kidnapped and call 911, you don't want the police to be able to track your location in that situation?

and I've already said my spiel on shutter sounds.
    Let me guess...you think Obama is doing a great job.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    LoL - That's a good one right there LoL
    UtahConcealer

Crackberry 8330 ---> Droid X ---> Droid X2 ---> Blk 16gb iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    doesn't need to turn into politics, I'm not a democrat.. and no I don't support him.

doesn't need to turn into politics
    Agreed. If anyone would like to have a political discussion, I'm sure there are members just itching to get into it with you in the General Discussion forum.

As for this thread, let's stay on topic.

Theres only a few reason why someone would want to do this that the person they are taking it of is unaware.. a few are they want to be shady.. or predatorial.. or pedophiling..

in most instances, it's not for the good of the person being shot..

What was the reason again for not wanting a shutter sound again? I forgot..

Hey you. Maybe I don't want the shutter sound to go off when I'm taking a picture of a panel in a quiet boardroom. Maybe I don't want the shutter sound to go off at someone's wedding. Maybe I don't want the shutter sound to go off while I'm at a friend's play and they're performing a monologue. Maybe I don't want the shutter sound to go off when...

maybe i don't want my toddler to get distracted by the shutter sound, so i can catch her doing her frequent funny bits.

it's amazing to me that i pay so much in taxes so this huge collection of ***** lawyers in washington can continue to attempt to micromanage my life.

Imagine replacing yourself with a known sex offender who also likes to turn off the shutter sound and take pictures of your kids doing cute things..

if that happens, you'll change your tune...
    When you take a video there is no sound at all. So I guess the "predators" will just have to resort to taking videos instead of pictures...

Paranoia aside, some manufacturers (like my HTC Desire) has an option to turn off the sound in the camera settings.

If you don't have that setting, then there are 2 options:
    1. Install another camera app that has the option
    2. Root your phone and delete /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg

See here:
    How do I disable the 'click' sound on the camera app? - Android - Stack Exchange
    for more details.
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I found that turning the System Volume down affected my shutter sound. I'm using the Audiomanager widget for sound control.
    I believe turning the system sound down will also prevent you from hearing your dialpad sound. I had mine accidentally turned off somehow without my knowledge (by an app I think), and was going crazy trying to figure out why I could not hear the dialpad anymore. So I downloaded Audio Manager and turned the system volume back up and the dialpad sound came back.

~ Droid RAZR MAXX, Stock rooted ICS
    ~ Xoom Wi-fi: Stock rooted JB
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

Cool!!! I just replaced my camera_click.ogg with a quieter click sound (KeypressStandard.ogg) found in the same folder (just copy/rename it to camera_click.ogg). Much better! Now I can still know when it took the pic, but not have an annoyingly loud sound. I did the same for the video camera as well. Please note you need to be rooted to do this though.

~ Droid RAZR MAXX, Stock rooted ICS
    ~ Xoom Wi-fi: Stock rooted JB