Will there be a new clean tool?

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
OK. I've about had it with the OTA. I lost everything once to get it and now I'm willing to lose everything again to get rid of it, but I'm still nervous. I've read a lot of the posts in this thread and all the reassurances have my confidence up. I applied for the unlock at HTC, but backed out for fear that somehow, someway, something would go awry and I'd be stuck with a device that I couldn't return, exchange, or have serviced, but I feel Verizon is leaving me little choice. I saw where Dovahkiin said that after excepting the OTA things get a bit more [ ] dicey. Will someone point me to a current, after OTA, root method?

Check out this thread for a step-by-step on rooting after the OTA. You're gonna need to flash Amon Ra, and then install superuser. It's easier than it seems, don't worry.
[CONFIRMED] Root after OTA - xda-developers

Correct me if I'm wrong; to be able to WiFi tether you have to run a custom ROM.?

No. There are APK's floating around and also some apps on the marketplace may or may not require root access in order to get you WiFi.
If you're inclined, use the Market glitch to get around Verizon's censorship/blocks from certain tethering apps. That info can be found here: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/0...carrier-blocked-apps-from-the-android-market/

Reactions: GSDer and VidJunky

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Dovahkiin for the info. What I really need right now is a shorthand and Dev dictionary. Everything in that post is Greek to me. So, I know what a RUU is because I used one to get Froyo on my Inc, and I'm assuming I don't need to do the stock recovery, lock bootloader, and flash the RUU, because I'm still stock and I have the OTA already.
So fast forward, I'm poised to unlock the bootloader. I've backed up everything the best that I can with my backup pro, and all of my Tasker profiles. Now I'm looking for the RA Recovery thing. (Sorry I called it a thing, but I'm not really sure what it is.) I searched XDA for RA Recovery Rezound and got too many hits. Did Google and found what seemed to be a direct line on DroidForums. Post sounds like something I'm looking for, but WOW talk about making my head spin. I followed like three links, back to XDA, then to mediafire where I downloaded a file. (v3.13) Not run on forever, as if I haven't, but I'm lost. The RA (image?) I'm guessing I put on the root of my SD? After I unlock? Will that also install SU and SuperUser, which I thought was the same thing until I saw them mentioned in the same sentence as what seems to be two different things? Am I just somehow making this more difficult than it has to be? Or am I just out of my league on this one?

Ravaloft

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I was a bit uneasy at first too. Unlocking was fairly easy and straight forward.

When you are ready to root just read over the instructions a few times slowly. Something that helped me was to follow along and find the folders they are talking about before you move anything or flash anything over. I read it over a few times and still missed "10) Delete the PH98IMG.zip from your memory card, or else you will not be able to get into recovery.".

This was the link I followed. It went extremely smooth. I have not done any romming yet, but I have done a lot of freezing with Ti backup.
[Guide]Simple Guide for Recovery, Root, and Kernels. *OTA Update Compatible* - xda-developers

I am an android beginner. I think I was over thinking this myself but, when I finally made the leap to root it was easier than I expected.

Reactions: VidJunky

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rava. I couldn't do it tonight because of the time, it takes forever to setup after a FR. If all goes well I'll try tomorrow evening.

Ravaloft

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh. Forgot one more thing. Since you need to know your internal storage from your external all you have to do is plug your device in without your SD card installed then just rename :)

This seems simple but I overlooked it. :confused:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Rava & Dova, thanks. A few dozen downloads later and a couple of hours and... Well I'll just let my signature say it all.

MomaDave

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, even with clean tool/ & temp root, the OTA successfully installed on my phone. Now battery life is sucking.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, even with clean tool/ & temp root, the OTA successfully installed on my phone. Now battery life is sucking.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

Have you tried a factory reset after the OTA? I read that somewhere (most likely here) and did that myself and it totally helped my phone settle down and I got over 12 hours moderate use (email checks, FB, Twitter, web browsing on 4G) stock, which I thought was impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaee