S4 benchmarked and compared to Note 2 and a few others.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S4 Benchmarked: Serious Power, Dim Display
Compared S4, S3, Note II, and Nexus 4.

Key points.

AnTuTu Benchmark
S 4 21,089
S 3 16,301
Note 2 17,531

Screen Brightness
S 4 258 Lux
S 3 240 Lux
Note 2 240 K=Lux

All of these are pretty dim compared to other smartphones. In general I like the improved specs of the S 4, don't much care about the Touchwiz additions, and am feeling fine with the Note 2 until the Note 3 comes out. I would like the Note 2's camera hardware and software to be better though.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsung will not be able to increase screen brightness on their AMOLED displays for awhile, until the lifespan of their subpixels can be greatly improved. The brighter you set your AMOLED, the faster those organic LEDs die. I keep my brightness on the bare minimum at all times, and only raise it when I desperately need to as in on extra clear sunny days when I'm outside. Even then, if I'm in my car I keep it about half way, only enough to see whats on the screen.

Yeah its nice to have an ultra bright vivid display, but realize that unlike LCDs, AMOLED screens don't burn in, they burn out. Given a year of 5 hours screen on time at max brightness on a daily basis, and you'll have very noticeable burn out. You'll see things like the white app drawer ring burned out, the time and signal icons in the notification bar, etc. Personally, I'm OCD about things like that and plan on keeping this phone for a few years (have to buy off contract to keep that unlimited LTE goodness) so I can't be getting burn out in anything less than 2 years.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Can you provide any links to back up your claim?

I don't doubt that after a good few years it would burn out, but I can't see it burning out after only a year. If that was the case I imagine Samsung would be hearing it from customers and eventually lawyers. TV's for example, if you had them failing after one year there would be mass outcry and eventually a recall because action would be taken. If these AMOLED's only last a year, I'd imagine the same outcry and results.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you provide any links to back up your claim?

I don't doubt that after a good few years it would burn out, but I can't see it burning out after only a year. If that was the case I imagine Samsung would be hearing it from customers and eventually lawyers. TV's for example, if you had them failing after one year there would be mass outcry and eventually a recall because action would be taken. If these AMOLED's only last a year, I'd imagine the same outcry and results.

Sure.

Screen Burn In S3 - xda-developers
So my galaxy S3 has screen burn in :( - Corvette Forum
Obvious Screen Burn S3 - xda-developers

That last one on XDA is showing symptoms with only a 3 month old phone. You're welcome and enjoy!

Like I said, AMOLED burns out and there's absolutely no stopping it. The best you can do is to take certain counter measures to slow the process down and prolong the life of your screen. If you're fine with a screen burning out in 12 months, go ahead keep it on max brightness 24/7 and use it with screen on time for hours a day. But if you want it to last longer follow my advice above.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Not worries,, can't remember last time I used same phone for more then a year lol. Good information though.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87