Disappointed with GPS performance while geocaching...anyone else?

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I took my N3 out geocaching over the weekend for the first time. I've used my HTC One X many times over the last couple of years with the official geocaching.com and c:geo apps. The HoX works really well and performance/accuracy is almost as good as my Garmin Legend GPS receiver.

Anyway, the N3? Total and utter waste of time. We found one cache, mostly through the description than the actual GPS reading. The rest of the afternoon was spent frustratedly trying to get a reading better than 40ft away from the caches.

The phone was connected to between 10 and 13 out of a possible 22 satellites throughout and yet, performance was extremely poor. I'll take my old HTC phone and the Garmin unit next time. Very disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In the map app select settings and see what mode you are in. Select high accuracy mode and see if that helps. It uses all available resources (wifi, network, gps) to get a better location reading. It also uses a lot of juice so I would only use it when needed. And yes, gps only sucks on N3.

Posted via Android Central App

rawbar

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Have had my N3 for 2+ years, never used it to geocache until today. Took my 9yo daughter who'd gone geocaching with me in the past using c:geo and it was completely useless. Got within 300 feet but the compass would continually point in different directions. I knew it was within boundaries of a park but at one point it was telling me to leave the park and walk 200' through the neighboring yards. I killed the app and restarted it, and it wanted me to go in the exact opposite direction. Neither of those directions were actually toward the cache (I'd been to this one years ago). Accuracy was never better than 33 feet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non