Issues with Doze on Marshmallow

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I updated to Marshmallow about 5 days ago on my Note 5 (AT&T). The first couple of nights Doze seemed to be working great. I only dropped about 5% battery life from 11 PM to 8 AM. That used to be anywhere between 10 and 20%. But the last couple of nights it has been progressively getting worse, and last night I went from 99% to 83% in the same hours. I have cleaned the app cache, and did a system cache clean as well. Looking at the history, I don't see any particular app that appears to be using more than any other. My regular daily use battery drain also seems to be worse than before the upgrade.

Not really sure where to start. I have not done a full system reset. Would rather not, unless it comes down to that.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
It generally is a good idea to do a full factory reset after a major software update, and I bet it would fix a lot of your issues. I know they are a pain, but it really is the best way to go. Good luck!

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
It generally is a good idea to do a full factory reset after a major software update, and I bet it would fix a lot of your issues. I know they are a pain, but it really is the best way to go. Good luck!

I have the same issue and hard reset twice. That doesn't always work. My battery barley lasts me a day if I'm lucky.

Posted via the Android Central App

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I updated to Marshmallow about 5 days ago on my Note 5 (AT&T). The first couple of nights Doze seemed to be working great. I only dropped about 5% battery life from 11 PM to 8 AM. That used to be anywhere between 10 and 20%. But the last couple of nights it has been progressively getting worse, and last night I went from 99% to 83% in the same hours. I have cleaned the app cache, and did a system cache clean as well. Looking at the history, I don't see any particular app that appears to be using more than any other. My regular daily use battery drain also seems to be worse than before the upgrade.

Not really sure where to start. I have not done a full system reset. Would rather not, unless it comes down to that.

You could also try, for a couple of nights, putting your phone in safe mode overnight, and see if there's any difference, to isolate any possible causes coming from apps.

taher ahmed

May 31, 2016
Visit site
It's always recommended to restart your device every 2 days to have better battery life!
I usually do it(restart) every alternate day and see for yourself a change!

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It's always recommended to restart your device every 2 days to have better battery life!
Recommended by whom? Not by Google, Samsung, or any carrier that I'm aware of.

I restart my phone every 30-60 days (when I have to because of an update). I get great battery life.

MerpsMom

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Mine gets powered off every night simply because I don't need it until morning. I don't think there are any consequences from this, right?
I guess the mother in me says turn it off. Except I don't power my computers off, just put to sleep. Hmmmm.....

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Mine gets powered off every night simply because I don't need it until morning. I don't think there are any consequences from this, right?
It won't harm your phone. If you don't want to use the phone as an alarm clock, and don't want it to receive emergency calls overnight, then the only small disadvantage of turning it off is that it won't receive any overnight app updates, system updates, or security updates and will have to download and install them during the day instead, when you might be using the phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not really sure where to start.

I have a Note 5 from AT&T too. Haven't seen any issues...however, it's not my daily driver either. What I would suggest is this: add GSAM battery monitor and do another restart. when the device reboots, open GSAM (sometimes it doesn't start reading stats from a boot) and back out. go a full day operating normally with one change....recharge if you need to. Then, post some screenshots of the day.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the advice! Some of these I had already tried and nothing was helping. So I finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset. It's a pain and annoying to have to reset stuff, but it was definitely worth it! Last night Doze seemed to be working well. From 11 PM until about 9 AM I only dropped 4-5%. Where as before the reset it was still dropping 10-15%. So far it looks like my daily usage batter life if also better, but it's only been a day. So I want to give it a few days and see how it does! So for anyone having the same issue, I would suggest a reset!

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Says who. I have not FDR my phone and everything is working great.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the advice! Some of these I had already tried and nothing was helping. So I finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset. It's a pain and annoying to have to reset stuff, but it was definitely worth it! Last night Doze seemed to be working well. From 11 PM until about 9 AM I only dropped 4-5%. Where as before the reset it was still dropping 10-15%. So far it looks like my daily usage batter life if also better, but it's only been a day. So I want to give it a few days and see how it does! So for anyone having the same issue, I would suggest a reset!

Awesome!! So glad it helped!!!!

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Says who. I have not FDR my phone and everything is working great.

At this point it doesn't matter because the factory reset helped the op. She didn't HAVE to do it but it worked and it seems to have helped a lot of other people with their issues.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm back to being frustrated! After a week of running great overnight, I'm back to losing 15% in about 8-9 hours. I haven't changed anything haven't added any new apps. So not sure what's up. I'm going to install GSAM and hopefully that will give me some answers. I may need to come here and post to help decipher it though. LOL

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If anyone is still following this thread, could you look at these screenshots from GSAM. I charged my phone to 100%, then set it down and left it overnight. Once again I had dropped 15% in about 9 hours. I still don't understand why it was great for a few days after my factory reset, and now it's back to this.
Screenshot_20160706-074735.jpgScreenshot_20160706-074852.jpg

taher ahmed

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I have a solution that worked for me:
Just clear the wipe cache partition.
Procedure for clearing the wipe cache partition is: power off > hold volume up+home button+power for few seconds and there you select >wipe cache partition> select "yes"> and then reboot the phone.
I hope this helps!