Data usage

nik1703

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
So I had an original Galaxy S for almost two years with the 2GB monthly plan, never even came close to using 2GB. I'd stream music once in a while, go on Facebook, youtube once in a while, the usual.

Anyway, since upgrading to the skyrocket - I figured 2GB would be fine. But I got a text yesterday that I've hit 1300MB already, and it's only been two weeks. Granted i streamed a little more video than I used to (because LTE makes that easier), I dont feel like I even came close to 1300MB in two weeks. WTF? Is there a way to track what's eating the majority of my data? Is AT&T rigging this? WTFFF

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
The same thing happened to me when I went from the atrix to the SR. I called ATT with the same concern and they recommended that I just keep an eye on it for a couple of months.Fortunately I'm on the unlimited plan but have now gotten the throttling warning message.

I downloaded Traffic Monitor by RadioOpt. It gives you total wifi and cellular traffic...and unfortunately it is accurate to what the ATT network claims you are using. The app even breaks out what is using your data.

Good luck!!!

blweldon2

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
The 200mb plan probably isn't a good idea on an LTE phone. I use the 2gb plan and I manage to stay a little above 1gb of usage, but I spend most of my time on home and school WiFi.

Sent from my Skyrocket.

s3ntrax

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The same thing happened to me when I went from the atrix to the SR. I called ATT with the same concern and they recommended that I just keep an eye on it for a couple of months.Fortunately I'm on the unlimited plan but have now gotten the throttling warning message.

I downloaded Traffic Monitor by RadioOpt. It gives you total wifi and cellular traffic...and unfortunately it is accurate to what the ATT network claims you are using. The app even breaks out what is using your data.

Good luck!!!

Another good app from the marketplace is 3G Watchdog, Seems to be very accurate for me.

methree

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I hit the 2GB limit 3 week into my billing cycle. I mostly use the free version of Pandora about an hour per day, Youtube about an hour per month, and various websites. Some with flash, but not with streaming video. I my use Redlaser here and there and Shazam maybe twice a month. I do no social networking. I doesn't compute that I hit 2GB so quickly. I then found something: Settings/Accounts and sync/Background data. I turned that off. Below the selection it says, " Applications can sync, send, and receive data at anytime." I have to believe this is the culprit. I'm always getting ebay notifications and such that I don't need or want. Hopefully this will help.

By they way, AT&T needs to be sued for the extent of their throttling. I could sort of understand if that started throttling at 8 or 10GB, but 2GB is ridiculous. 2GB is very easy to hit on an LTE phone in one month without switching to WiFi. If the 2GB cap wasn't bad enough. Not only are you throttled down from the 20-40Mbps that your phone is capable of, but you are throttled to .1 Mbps. That it less than 1/10 the speed of the Iphone 3G I had. That's criminal! There has to be some grounds for legal action on this. If I see any class action on this, I'm jumping in on it. Had I known this before renewing my contract with unlimited data, I would have gone to Verizon and gotten a Galaxy Nexus.

There seems to be a fix for this situation for some phone. It gets you HSPA service, which I would find more acceptable. I tried it on mine, but there was no Network Mode to change.
How To Bypass AT&T’s Throttling Of LTE 4G Data. Your Data Usage is Among The Top 5% Of Users. Anti-Throttle Trick For AT&T. Create A New APN!! | Popular Social Trends with TraeMcNeely.com

eban44

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
^^^Pandora is your problem. I watched streaming pandora once and it took around 100MB/hr when streaming. So times 30, puts you around 3GB/month just with that. Then once you add everything else you do. You might want to upgrade to the 4GB plan or slow down on the pandora use.
Luckily I have yet to be throttled and I hit 4GB last month, we don't even have LTE here yet in saint louis, so kinda worried once it gets here. At least I know I have a nice amount before being capped.

KZQ

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm really new to this phone so I don't really know what to expect but I certainly didn't expect to get three messages in four hours last Wednesday informing me that I'd used 65% of my data, then 90% then I was over my 2 gigs.

My account rolled over last Friday at midnight and by Noon I'd used up another 500 Megs. All while doing nothing!

AT&T was no help. Today's Tuesday and AT&T says I used another 500 megs on Saturday, NO WAY!

I just now disabled the Background Sync as some one previously suggested.

I installed My Data Manager last Friday and it shows less than a tenth of a meg of data on Saturday when AT&T says I used 500 Megs.

KZQ

robor007

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Something is jacked with the SR and AT&T. My wife hit 1.9GB in < 4 days. Not kidding. This is the top internet usage over that time.

01/28 11:38 AM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 936673KB
01/27 07:28 AM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 458164KB
01/29 09:43 AM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 334261KB
01/27 12:42 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 110393KB
01/29 12:14 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 99679KB

Her previous months were around 250MB. She uses her phone for a single Yahoo Email account, texting, and minimal web browsing. No streaming of movies or music or YouTube. I called AT&T and asked them to investigate. All they could offer was a credit for the overage.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe one thing that is happening is MMS is going over the LTE network and we are being charged for that data. I've got no way to test this or prove it...just a hypothesis

With my 3G & 3.5G androids there was a handoff to Edge when I would send an MMS and the phone would go right back to 3G or 4G. Now with the SR there doesn't appear to be any handoff to Edge (which is nice...mms send in no time). When I send an MMS on LTE I get the data upload icons next to 4G/LTE throughout the process.

Anyone else notice this?

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Im going thru the same thing. I just signed on to att on the 18th of last month w a 4 gig plan and they are telling me i have already blown thru 65 percent of my allowance when mon thru fri 9-5 im on wifi. Theres def something going on w this phone n they way att measures data.

wickedstitch

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
My phone is running like pond water today. I have no idea what's happened. I've gone from 4310 kbps download speed to 157 kbps. That's heinous!

Today I have customer service troubleshoot my phone, they reset the network and tell me that everything is fine with my phone. I ask if I have been throttled, she tells me I am in no way close to the top 5% of users. I never got the warning text and that everything is fine. Yet it still is downloading at a snail's pace compared to a month ago.

My daughter's phone, which is not a SkyRocket is uploading at 2785kbps and mine is at 149. Seriously?!

Now what? Do I take it in to AT&T to see if they will send it back and give me another? I do pay for the insurance on it. I am at a loss, but I am also completely angry at paying for lightning speeds, and my phone is running at anything but that.

Last edited:

wickedstitch

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I have contacted my carrier, who did troubleshooting and reset the network and assured me everything was fine. It is not fine. It is still super slow. I contacted Samsung, who had me do a factory reset on my beloved SkyRocket. It is currently rebooting and reloading all updates etc. If this did not remedy the issue, I am not sure what to do next, short of going to my carrier and demanding a new one.

I know it's a phone issue and not a carrier issue, due to the fact everyone else in the house has way quicker speeds than I do!

*ETA* after factory reset I am still at far less than ideal upload speed. .15mbps NOT COOL AT ALL!

What can I do?

JustNiNi

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue just two days ago BUT I believe it to be AT&T because I received a text saying that I was over 90% of my data usage (I am on a 3g plan) then immediately after, when I go to MyAtt app to see about my unbelievable data usage it won't load. Nothing does. Tried numerous different options... Slow to nothing at all. My data was throttled on a plan! I spent an hour on the phone with customer service (who said herself I must have been throttled!) She credited my account to fix problem, restarted phone then same thing! Limited to no data. So the next hour was with a tech who talked me through numerous things in order to fix my "phone". In the middle of all this I regained data speed even though the simple settings he had me go over were things I had already checked out myself before calling. Which leads me to believe that this was an issue with at&t, not my phone. I never thought I would get "throttled" while carrying a limited data plan.

JustNiNi

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
After new billing cycle. I got mine resolved since I wasn't supposed to be getting throttled in the first place. :sly:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

wickedstitch

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad they resolved it for you! The CS rep told me there was no way I was in the to 5% of users, and I was never sent the throttled text. However, unless my phone crapped out on me, I think I've been throttled.

JustNiNi

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it. How irritating! There's nothing worse than barely browsing on a 4G phone. I would still bring it up to att and see what they can do about it since they assured you it's not a throttling issue. Never know. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

wickedstitch

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your input! I plan on contacting CS again tomorrow. New Billing cycle begins in a week for me. If they can't figure it out and I have speed again in a week, I will know for sure what happened.