iBOLT Vehicle Dock for S III

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Can I buy a Charge/aux cable separately?
Your dock looks cool but I use a 'cliphanger stick' and simply need to connect my GS3 with only one connection.
I use an alternate charger cable without any issues. I do not have an AUX input in my car so don't listen to music through the dock.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
All, two updates from us here at iBOLT regarding our Galaxy S III Dock. 1. The Polish JellyBean download appears to block both charging and aux-out on the iBOLT dock as well as any Samsung OEM product. We've alerted Samsung to this issue and we hope that they correct the change in pin-out that is clearly happening prior to releasing the official Jellybean for S III in the US later in October. Second issue is that although 10.000's of people are using our Dock with the aux-out without any issues, including in my personal Honda Odyssey we are hearing the complaints about loud buzzing noise. We would be grateful if anyone with this issue would fill out the warranty form on our homepage and also indicate which car make, year and model you have, this would help a lot. We are aware of the issue and are working on solutions. The link to our contact page is iBolt.co - iBOLT - Contact us. Thank you for your assistance and for supporting our products! Great new products are planned for 2013!

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
All, two updates from us here at iBOLT regarding our Galaxy S III Dock. 1. The Polish JellyBean download appears to block both charging and aux-out on the iBOLT dock as well as any Samsung OEM product. We've alerted Samsung to this issue and we hope that they correct the change in pin-out that is clearly happening prior to releasing the official Jellybean for S III in the US later in October. Second issue is that although 10.000's of people are using our Dock with the aux-out without any issues, including in my personal Honda Odyssey we are hearing the complaints about loud buzzing noise. We would be grateful if anyone with this issue would fill out the warranty form on our homepage and also indicate which car make, year and model you have, this would help a lot. We are aware of the issue and are working on solutions. The link to our contact page is iBolt.co - iBOLT - Contact us. Thank you for your assistance and for supporting our products! Great new products are planned for 2013!

Thanks for the heads up on the update! I will be holding off on it until Samsung can rectify it.

Regarding the buzz, i will fill out the online claim but i did notice that it's been reduced since I've uncoiled the 9ft cord after changing mounting points.

Thanks for keeping an ear to this thread!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

stephaned

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to check if the charging issue is linked to Jelly Bean... in effect, I just bought a iBolt car dock and suffer that same issue (no charging). I was running OMEGA JB ROM and tried with Cyanogenmod JB and cannot get it to charge via the iBolt.

Did all of you guys that suffered from no charging were running a Jelly Bean ROM? I am just surprised about that as it seems that any of my other Android phones (Motrola ATRIX & RAZR) can get a charge through the iBOLT and it seems that few of the people complaining about that issue got a replacement and that replacement worked fine.

Please advise as I am just about to RMA my new iBOLT...
Tks

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
As we've mentioned before Samsung has changed something in the pin-out on Jellybean so that car-mode in not recognized on any dock, not even their own OEM product (type the "Infuse dock" that is used by a lot of S III users). To remove support for a well established function, like car-mode and aux-out for an existing model is pretty much unheard of, thus we believe that Samsung will correct this before they release the official version of Jellybean here in the US. The charging issue is due to the same pin-configuration change. Our recommendation is therefore to wait with upgrading to JB until the official version is here at the end of the month, at which time we hope Samsung have re-instated the support for Car-dock mode (and subsequently charging and aux-out for dock's using this pin-configuration).

stephaned

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Tks Mikael for your quick answer.

Is it normal though that the charging function does not work for my other mobile phones either (one running 2.3 and other other ICS)? In effect, I thought the USB connection was standard and it should work between different models/manufacturer?
I still would like to hear about the people at the beginning of the post, if they were like me using a JB custom ROM... or if it was not working due to a faulty dock? In effect, I have only got a limited time for RMA and do not want to pass that time (waiting for the update from Samsung) if I have in fact a faulty dock.
Tks

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Stephaned, don't worry about the RMA time. We'll take care of you regardless directly from iBOLT.co. Right now we are just trying to sort out this JB issues...

stephaned

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Stephaned, don't worry about the RMA time. We'll take care of you regardless directly from iBOLT.co. Right now we are just trying to sort out this JB issues...

Just to let you know that I am on the internal version of the S3 - is the issue affecting both variants?
Also I bought iBolt in France so not sure if you would take the RMA from there?
Tks

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Stehaned, we have sales and logistics in Germany supporting Europe so no problem with France. This Jellybean issue will hopefully be solved within the next few weeks, although we do not have any guarantee for that so stay tuned... No updated yet but we hope to have something to share soon.

MachoDonut

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I recently got the dock and noticed the buzz, but it seems to me that it is from the phone's radio. It's similar to when you have your phone sitting too close to a speaker. I can also make the sound stop by putting the phone in airplane mode while in the dock. The amount of interference, of course, changes depending upon location and signal strength.
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this or if this matches what others are describing, but I figured I would throw it out there. If you turn the cell radios off and the buzz stops, well, there you go.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I recently got the dock and noticed the buzz, but it seems to me that it is from the phone's radio. It's similar to when you have your phone sitting too close to a speaker. I can also make the sound stop by putting the phone in airplane mode while in the dock. The amount of interference, of course, changes depending upon location and signal strength.
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this or if this matches what others are describing, but I figured I would throw it out there. If you turn the cell radios off and the buzz stops, well, there you go.

Wow...I think this is the most fitting explanation! So I guess it is a lack of shielding...I wonder what shielding can be added to remedy this?

BooSnap

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
All, here's a run down on different options how to connect the Galaxy S3 Dock to car-stereo speakers for playing music and sound from all Apps. ......
Cars with no BT system but cassette player:
If your car does NOT have a 3.5 mm aux-in jack but features a cassette player there's plenty of "cassette-to-3.5 aux" options to buy. Search at your preferred electronic retailer for the solution that is right for you. Once inserted the iBOLT Dock can be used for playing music through the car stereo as if played through the cassette player.
Finally, we strongly recommend connecting the Galaxy S3 phone to a Bluetooth device for hands-free calling, regardless which option (if any) is used to connect to the car-stereo for listening to music. To use the S III phone as a "speaker phone" while in the Dock works fine with regards to the driver hearing the other party. However, the party on the other end often hear an echo, a lot of background noise, the driver sound "faint-far away" or they sound like "in a tunnel". This is because virtually no Smartphone features a dedicated DSP (Digital Signal Processor) chip for cancelling background noise and echo. Smartphone do not have full duplex either when in speaker mode, which essentially means the microphone is at least partially shut down while the other party speaks. The conversation is therefore similar to "walkie-talkie", where only one party speaks at a time. Summary: connect your S III phone to a Bluetooth device from a respected brand manufacturer unless you're holding the phone to the ear...:)

MikaelPe,
I understand your concern for the quality of my voice when heard without a bluetooth adapter. I have been using a casette tape adapter for over a year now to stream Pandora and make phone calls through the headphone jack on my Android phones. Originally I had a Droid 2 and now I have the Galaxy S3. Using the headphone jack allowed me to make and take calls handsfree with both phones with high enough quality for me. I had the telephone sitting in my center console during conversations without complaint. If I had the windows down, I would certianly move the phone closer to help with wind noise. With your dock, I am extremely dissapointed that I am still having to connect 2 cables to achieve what I want to achieve. If it's not technically possible, the tell us so. Don't just say that you recommend we use a bluetooth device. When using your dock and having my tape adapter connected to the headphone jack, I am able to talk on the phone with no problem. When using only the USB connector on the dock and connecting my tape adapter to the 9ft cable, it is being forced into speakerphone mode, I have nothing but problems with clarity on both ends. As a paying customer, I would hope that if this functionality is technically possible, you would make it work, regardless of how heavily you might feel the need to disclaim it. I don't want to have to connect 2 cables every time I dock my phone.

cmunroe19

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased the iBolt yesterday and I'm having an issue where once I dock my phone it connects to S Voice, which I'm with everyone else I don't like but that is not my ultimate issue. My issue is that once I press the home button and move on After a short period of time my phone goes to my lock screen and then immediately opens up S Voice again. This happens approximately every 2 or so minutes. I had to disconnect my cable from the phone to take it out of car mode to make it stop. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. One other thing worth noting that may or may not have anything to do with it. I'm waiting to receive my car charger so while the phone is plugged in I don't actually have the cradle plugged in and charging at the moment. I just wanted to test it out before I got the charge this week in the mail.

yonir

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I don't understand why android's drive mode has the fixed camera orientation problem.
I understand that they expect that when in dock mode the phone will be reversed to the way it is in the iDock one.
But since the sensors recognize when this is not the case why limit this? (as in the normal mode, not drive mode)

MikaelPe, unless I miss some good reason why Google made android this way:
Is it possible to ask Google to change this, or at least have an option to change it manually?
so that it will be possible to use the camera with the iDock.

I want to run a blackbox application (such as DailyRoads Voyager) and of course all videos are upside down.
Thanks

P.S. I you ask me I'd rather have the power button up and the volume buttons hidden. Especially when the lower volume button is not even accessible anyway.

MachoDonut

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow...I think this is the most fitting explanation! So I guess it is a lack of shielding...I wonder what shielding can be added to remedy this?

Not sure. In addition to the airplane mode test, I can alter the buzz by moving the short cable that actually plugs into the phone. Maybe a tiny sleeve of some type around this cable would help. Hopefully, some others can confirm that this is a problem for them also.

BooSnap

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased the iBolt yesterday and I'm having an issue where once I dock my phone it connects to S Voice, which I'm with everyone else I don't like but that is not my ultimate issue. My issue is that once I press the home button and move on After a short period of time my phone goes to my lock screen and then immediately opens up S Voice again. This happens approximately every 2 or so minutes. I had to disconnect my cable from the phone to take it out of car mode to make it stop. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. One other thing worth noting that may or may not have anything to do with it. I'm waiting to receive my car charger so while the phone is plugged in I don't actually have the cradle plugged in and charging at the moment. I just wanted to test it out before I got the charge this week in the mail.

This has been answered at least once in this thread if you read back. The S Voice is the default Samsung car dock home screen. From what I would gather from reading this thread, most people (myself included) use Car Home Ultra as their car dock home screen. Car Home ultra gives you the ability to set options such as leaving the screen on, turning wifi on/off, etc. If you want some other application to open, you can use a program like Tasker to set them to open automatically when the phone is docked as well as force settings such as screen timeout, brightness, etc. I know there are 6 pages of posts in this thread, but if you read back, I'm sure you'll find the answer to your question.