iBOLT Vehicle Dock for S III

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
BooSnap. Thanks for your extensive and very clear explanation of what you want to achieve. However, this has nothing to do with our iBOLT dock. Instead it is to 100% an issue with Samsung and they way they designed their firmware. Motorola considered a car-dock an integral part of the end user experience when driving. They assumed that if you are using their dock and running a 3.5 cord to the car-stereo without an active Bluetooth device paired, you probably want to use the phone as a hands-free speaker phone (very logical!). To facilitate this Motorola embeds a software solution that routes the sound from the phone calls to the car-speakers, just as the aux-out music, and on top of that they also integrates a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) into the phone that activates during a phone call (when in Dock) for the purpose of suppressing back ground sound and minimizing echo/feedback. This essentially turns the Motorola phone into a real, fully functional hands-free unit. Samsung on the other hand elected to design their software so that aux-out sound (all sound from apps, including the ring signal for incoming phone as this is generated from an app technically) goes through either the aux-out 3.5 jack OR through the microUSB if the right cable is connected to it (like an iBOLT.co or OEM dock). However, the sound from a phone call can never come out through the aux-out connection. Samsung have assumed that a Bluetooth hands-free solution will be connected to the phone unless the user is holding the phone to the ear and talking. Therefore the applications type "sound re-direct" do not really work, even if they can technically "force" the sound from the phone call to go through the 3.5 mm jack. The reason is that there is no DSP software to minimize background noise or echo cancellation (ever quality Bluetooth solution has one!) and since the microphone sensitivity is not resetting itself for a "hands-free" mode (it doesn't exist), the person speaking to you while driving will always say that you sound like you are in a wind tunnel. I hope this long and winding explanation makes sense? We've had 100's of people asking about this, from many different countries. Motorola makes a terrific solution for using the car-dock as a quality hands-free device but Samsung (and HTC) did not, it's really that simple. Believe me, I wish that our Dock could replace the hands-free unit as well, that would increase sales tremendously. Summary: For now, unfortunately a Bluetooth hands-free solution must be used unless you want to pick up the phone from the Dock every time it rings!

MachoDonut

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've tried a few things, including ferrite beads on the dock cable and the USB/Aux cable. Still get the buzz from the GSM radio. So something in the dock must not be shielded correctly. I have noticed several others complaining also but not good resolve in sight. I think this dock is going back. Maybe I will check out ProClip.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
All, big relief! The Jellybean issue seems be solved. The Car-dock mode, aux-out through the microUSB and charging is back in the Sprint version that was just release! These features were removed in the European and pre-release versions and apparently Samsung have listened to the "fire-storm" of users that requested this. If you are using an OEM Dock, or an aftermarket Dock like our iBOLT.co product everything works as it should. I've attached screen shots supplied by user "Demetrius jr" (Thanks for your help!) as well as a link to the YouTube video he just made. We are contacting Samsung asking for confirmation that the AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon and US Cellular version will have these features "back" but it appears logical they will be in the there...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7mks41iH10&feature=youtube_gdata_player http://forums.androidcentral.com/asset.php?fid=42839&uid=808163&d=1351400123

cmunroe19

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
So I installed Car Home Ultra and I'm having a similar issue where what is happening to me is Car Home Ultra seems to be restarting every couple of mins and making the same announcements you hear when the app first starts up. Again I'm not sure if it's because I don't have the phone plugged in and actively charging or b/c I have an app called battery saver running that locks the phone after a small period of inactively but then it comes right back up and seems to restart car home (but before S Voice) Again not sure if it's because of this or possibly a loose cable

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
So I installed Car Home Ultra and I'm having a similar issue where what is happening to me is Car Home Ultra seems to be restarting every couple of mins and making the same announcements you hear when the app first starts up. Again I'm not sure if it's because I don't have the phone plugged in and actively charging or b/c I have an app called battery saver running that locks the phone after a small period of inactively but then it comes right back up and seems to restart car home (but before S Voice) Again not sure if it's because of this or possibly a loose cable

I am not sure if you are running the official Sprint upgrade, but maybe try disabling that battery saver app and try. Also, if you have not done so, make sure you enable audio out in the dock settings menu.

I can confirm, that it still does not work on UK Jelly bean release I9300XXDLJ4 :((

This only seems to be working on the Sprint JB upgrade. Sorry!

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
All, we here at iBOLT.co have received multiple confirmations from observant end-users (thanks all for the help!) that Samsung's UK customer service is now responding that the car-mode will be supported shortly through a firmware update. To confirm we contacted Samsung's end-user support ourselves yesterday and we also received the response below. So, for anyone using any model car-dock with the S III, be patient and it appears that the problem will go away soon... Here's the email response from Samsung...

Dear Martin,

Thank you for contacting Samsung.

I am sorry about the issue you are experiencing with your Samsung Galaxy S III handset since the Jellybean update.

We are currently developing a fix for this issue and we will be rolling it out via a firmware update in due course.

I?m sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards,

Jamie
Online Support Team

yonir

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi MikaelPe,
Did you read my post?
Now that the JB issue is over, maybe it is possible to convince Google to fix the inverted camera problem too in future android versions?
Thanks.

Hi,
I don't understand why android's drive mode has the fixed camera orientation problem.
I understand that they expect that when in dock mode the phone will be reversed to the way it is in the iDock one.
But since the sensors recognize when this is not the case why limit this? (as in the normal mode, not drive mode)

MikaelPe, unless I miss some good reason why Google made android this way:
Is it possible to ask Google to change this, or at least have an option to change it manually?
so that it will be possible to use the camera with the iDock.

I want to run a blackbox application (such as DailyRoads Voyager) and of course all videos are upside down.
Thanks

P.S. I you ask me I'd rather have the power button up and the volume buttons hidden. Especially when the lower volume button is not even accessible anyway.

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi MikaelPe,
I just received my iBolt and sent an email to iBolt support regarding the issue with the dock not being detected and the phone not charging. But after reading this thread, looks like this is an issue with the early implementation of JellyBean from Samsung, right? If this is the case, maybe that's the problem, because I'm using the Omega Rom that is based on Samsung's JellyBean build. Is it possible that this is the problem?

Matt Moore

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Can the phone be left in the cradle and connected when I want to use a Bluetooth headset?

I just got the S3, coming from a Thunderbolt and whenever I had the phone in the car and connected to the headphone jack, it got confused with the bluetooth headset and the headphone jack.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Can the phone be left in the cradle and connected when I want to use a Bluetooth headset?

I just got the S3, coming from a Thunderbolt and whenever I had the phone in the car and connected to the headphone jack, it got confused with the bluetooth headset and the headphone jack.

If you don't use the headphone port for audio out then it shouldn't be confused. You can use the micro usb for non-call audio or just to charge in conjunction with bluetooth.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
All, we here at iBOLT are starting to get a bettter grasp on the missing car-mode and aux-out features in Jellybean when used with a car-dock. Based on our current understanding (please correct this if anyone know anything different...) the following is the situation:

1. For any Jellybean formally released by any US or Canadian Carrier the car-mode and aux-out will work properly, this was proven when Sprint launched the Jellybean version a few weeks ago. The upcoming release for AT&T, Verizon and others will also have these features properly incorporated. This means that if you have a car-dock, type the iBOLT version we are offering for sale online or in Verizon stores you can safely continue to use it or buy it if you have not yet. So essentially it appears that Samsung US (headquarter in TX) is on the ball and know what they are doing so let's not yell at them anymore...

2. The International version of S III is essentially a completely different phone as it's using a different processor and is even slightly different in size. The firmware implemented in this version is derived from the Polish JB version, where Samsung has a big software Team. That is also why the Polish version is 1st out when new JB releases starts rolling out. As the development of this JB version is done independently from the US version they have different feature sets. Many US consumers have purchased an unlocked phone, which would by default use a European firmware update instead of US carrier specific. Many US advanced users have also rooted their phones and are downloading the Polish/German/UK version of JB, or a non-official version of some kind and they are pretty much without exception missing the car-mode and aux-out feature set. Based on multiple contacts with Samsung customer support representatives in Europe we have high hopes Samsung Poland will turn these features on again in the next release but no guarantees of course.

I hope the above makes sense? A lot of information with good news for North American drivers and "please hold" for our European friends

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
In an earlier post in this thread it was mentioned that the power switch was inaccessible when the S3 was in the car dock. iBolt replied that they planned to redesign the dock to correct this. Does the current version of the dock allow access to the power switch? Looking at the photos on your web site, it doesn't look possible.

Also, is there any resolution for the upside-down video problem?

In an earlier post, iBOLT said they made a decision that it was more important to have the volume buttons exposed than the power button. This decision seems wrong to me. I can control volume through my car stereo or bluetooth accessory. I can't turn the phone off any other way but with the power button. And putting the volume buttons up has made the ability to record video while in the dock moderately useless.

Unless both these issues have been corrected, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on the dock. I'd be interested in buying the cable, though.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Bump.

In an earlier post in this thread it was mentioned that the power switch was inaccessible when the S3 was in the car dock. iBolt replied that they planned to redesign the dock to correct this. Does the current version of the dock allow access to the power switch? Looking at the photos on your web site, it doesn't look possible.

Also, is there any resolution for the upside-down video problem?

In an earlier post, iBOLT said they made a decision that it was more important to have the volume buttons exposed than the power button. This decision seems wrong to me. I can control volume through my car stereo or bluetooth accessory. I can't turn the phone off any other way but with the power button. And putting the volume buttons up has made the ability to record video while in the dock moderately useless.

Unless both these issues have been corrected, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on the dock. I'd be interested in buying the cable, though.

mfiggs22

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Byanbcorny, fundamentally you have to use a Bluetooth headset, or some kind of Bluetooth device in order for everything to work as intended. Connecting a hands-free device not only means that you can hear the caller in the headset or speaker of your BT device, but more importantly, the microphone is "routed" to such hands-free device and this means the other party can hear you well.

Without a BT hands-free device you are using the microphone in the handset (phone), which is mostly not ideally placed while driving, nor is is designed by Samsung (or any OEM) to remove background noise and echo. All good hands-free devices are relying on some sort of "DSP" (Digital Signal Processor) for removing the background road noise and also minimize echo, that is why the phone itself is only good to use as a speaker phone during low speeds, when holding it near your mouth and/or in very quiet cars.

We will arrange some additional testing this week with the scenario you are describing where you have AUX-in on the car stereo but you want to use the S III handset speaker for phone calls. Since we have always believed everyone (?) is using a Bluetooth device/system for hands-free we need 1-2 days to check this out and revert back... Thanks!

I am wondering if there is any news on this?? I also would like the call audio to come out of the speakers and use the external microphone. I used to be able to do it with my moto razr and moto X

mfiggs22

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I specifically bought this dock to be able have my call audio come out of my car speakers thru the AUX port

I don't understand why this is not possible. It was possible on my droid razr and my droid x with their dock systems.

Is there a way to make this happen?? Please help

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I specifically bought this dock to be able have my call audio come out of my car speakers thru the AUX port

I don't understand why this is not possible. It was possible on my droid razr and my droid x with their dock systems.

Is there a way to make this happen?? Please help

Not with a stock GS3. Samsung doesn't allow call audio out through the micro usb port. I have not tried using the 3.5mm port.

mfiggs22

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Not with a stock GS3. Samsung doesn't allow call audio out through the micro usb port. I have not tried using the 3.5mm port.
It does work with the headphone jack, but now I have 2 wires instead of 1 running up to the dock. What does Samsung not allow call audio out of the micro port??

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
It does work with the headphone jack, but now I have 2 wires instead of 1 running up to the dock. What does Samsung not allow call audio out of the micro port??

Not sure but I agree that messing with two wires is not the best way. The only other written around is to have a Bluetooth speaker configured to only play call audio. Then you can keep the media audio routed to the vehicle speakers.