iBOLT Vehicle Dock for S III

yonir

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
FYI,
I recently upgraded to android 4.1.1 (thought this JB issue was resolved, didn't see the last posts then) and as was said here - the dock just stopped working..
(I'm using a Hungary S3 though I'm not from Hungary)

I messaged Samsung UK (which I assume use similar firmware as the rest of Europe) and got the following response:
Thank you for contacting Samsung.
I am sorry about the issue you are experiencing with your Samsung Galaxy S3 handset.
We are currently developing a fix for this issue and we will be rolling it out via a firmware update in due course.
I?m sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.
If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.
Hopefully that will happen soon enough.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
In an earlier post in this thread it was mentioned that the power switch was inaccessible when the S3 was in the car dock. iBolt replied that they planned to redesign the dock to correct this. Does the current version of the dock allow access to the power switch? Looking at the photos on your web site, it doesn't look possible.

Also, is there any resolution for the upside-down video problem?

In an earlier post, iBOLT said they made a decision that it was more important to have the volume buttons exposed than the power button. This decision seems wrong to me. I can control volume through my car stereo or bluetooth accessory. I can't turn the phone off any other way but with the power button. And putting the volume buttons up has made the ability to record video while in the dock moderately useless.

Unless both these issues have been corrected, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on the dock. I'd be interested in buying the cable, though.

FYI, I emailed iBOLT directly, and got some answers. There is no fix for either accessing the on-off switch, nor the updside down video preview (other than turning the mount upside down).

I also asked about buying the power / audio cord separately from the cradle. iBOLT says they'll sell it, but it won't pass the audio signal unless connected to the cradle. So it's all or nothing.

sonofabutch

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
My S3 has stopped going into car dock mode when I plug it into the iBolt. I didn't change any settings or do anything different and this happened before the JB update (I'm on Verizon). The screen doesn't go into desk home screen or make a sound when first docked, even though both of those options are selected in settings. Any suggestions?

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, we've sold a large amount of the S3 iBOLT Dock and less then 1% have reported back any problems. However, a lot of people (tons!) have asked for a design that can work with the Otterbox Defender or Ballistic style case, that's why we redesigned it so it's open on the sides instead of having a phone specific shape. With this "Generation II" development we also made the insertion point for the microUSB (still triggers car-mode and aux-out) on the right side so the video is not showing upside down when plugged in. With the Note II becoming popular we also wanted to make sure that the opening would accommodate this phone too, even when using an Otterbox on it, see attached "unedited" pics we took on Friday. The Note II compatibility requirement is why we are doing a dual-spring loaded latch with pretty strong retention force instead of the "fold down" type latch.

The only thing that we are not 100% sure that we've solved entirely is the buzzing issue on AUX-out (primarily reported on LTE equipped phones) reported by a limited number of users. In a lot of cars, like my personal Honda 2012 it works as intended with no background noise when playing music. It mutes correctly when a call is coming in. We've redesigned the aux-out cable and added a ton of shielding in all areas and we are now in testing. For some users the problem was "solved" by simply making sure the volume output on the phone itself was set to maximum when plugged into the aux-in on the car-stereo. The alternative to an aux-out cable is to have a 3.5 mm Bluetooth "streamer adapter", which generally works great except that when stepping into the car the user must press a "wake up & connect" button, which for some people is no issue and others find it very annoying. The Bluetooth "dongles" (as they are also referred to) are available for $29 and up.

Another issue discussed in many Forums is the fact that you can not route phone calls to the car-stereo speakers using the 3.5 mm input on Samsung phones, essentially using the car-dock as a "hands-free station". Users that are migrating from a Motorola phone using their OEM car-dock have been spoiled as this functionality is part of the deal... The reason why this does not work is that the Samsung firmware is not designed to offer the option of call routing to external speaker when in dock mode, and at the same time change the microphone to a "handsfree setting" that triggers a "Digital Signal Processor (DSP). The DSP based software works to cancel/minimize background noise and it also takes care of echo suppression. Every quality hands-free product features a good DSP type solution. This is why Samsung users must have a Bluetooth hands-free solution for their phone calls if they want to keep the phone in a cradle while driving. Even if you, the driver, can hear the other party fine using the speaker phone (or forcing the sound to car-speakers using a "sound redirect" type app) the other party will not be able to hear you clear, especially when driving at highway speeds. With no DSP solution active the driver will sound like he is a tunnel or "in the bathtub", this as the Samsung phones do not have a DSP solution that goes to work... Sorry about lengthy explanation. I hope the above makes sense?

Attachments

• Note-II-unedited.jpg
    Note-II-unedited.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 29

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I did, but so far I've only received a standard "thanks for your question" response. I was hoping MikaelPe might be on here or someone else had experienced the same issue.
Sonfofabutch, we will respond next week by Friday. We got backed up this past week as people left early for the Holidays... I

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I emailed iBOLT directly, and got some answers. There is no fix for either accessing the on-off switch, nor the updside down video preview (other than turning the mount upside down).

I also asked about buying the power / audio cord separately from the cradle. iBOLT says they'll sell it, but it won't pass the audio signal unless connected to the cradle. So it's all or nothing.

The new "xProDock" solves the issue with access to the power button and the upside down video. This as you can choose between left and right side for placement of the microUSB. The design is also very "open" so there's nothing blocking any button. Another benefit is of course that any case will fit, even Otterbox Defender and any Samsung handset from S II, SIII to Note II will work fine in this doc.

11tracer

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I just got one of these docks for Christmas, and I'm trying to work out whether it's defective or not. I was hoping you guys could help me out.

My only method of streaming sound to my stereo is through a 3.5mm tape deck adapter. After getting the iBolt, my idea was to get a 3.5mm stereo coupler to connect the aux out cable on the iBolt to my tape deck adapter. When I do this, the sound coming out of my stereo from my phone sounds terrible compared to simply connecting the tape deck adapter directly to my phone. There is also a noticeable static-y, squeaky noise coming out of the stereo when I route the sound through the dock-coupler-tape deck combo. At first, I thought this was probably due to the odd nature of the connection, but I have read in this thread that other people are having issues with buzzing noises with this dock.

I have tested the coupler by plugging my earbuds into my phone using an auxiliary cable as a bridge. There was no noticeable loss of quality compared to connecting my earbuds directly into my phone, so I don't think the coupler is the issue.

I also tried connecting my phone to the stereo with only the cable provided with the dock. With this setup, no sound came out of the stereo, and there was a repeating, odd sound coming out of my stereo.

All this is leading me to believe that the issue is with either the dock, the cable, or both-but I'd love a second opinion. Thanks.

Also, my car is a 2000 Ford Focus, if that helps.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I just got one of these docks for Christmas, and I'm trying to work out whether it's defective or not. I was hoping you guys could help me out.

My only method of streaming sound to my stereo is through a 3.5mm tape deck adapter. After getting the iBolt, my idea was to get a 3.5mm stereo coupler to connect the aux out cable on the iBolt to my tape deck adapter. When I do this, the sound coming out of my stereo from my phone sounds terrible compared to simply connecting the tape deck adapter directly to my phone. There is also a noticeable static-y, squeaky noise coming out of the stereo when I route the sound through the dock-coupler-tape deck combo. At first, I thought this was probably due to the odd nature of the connection, but I have read in this thread that other people are having issues with buzzing noises with this dock.

I have tested the coupler by plugging my earbuds into my phone using an auxiliary cable as a bridge. There was no noticeable loss of quality compared to connecting my earbuds directly into my phone, so I don't think the coupler is the issue.

I also tried connecting my phone to the stereo with only the cable provided with the dock. With this setup, no sound came out of the stereo, and there was a repeating, odd sound coming out of my stereo.

All this is leading me to believe that the issue is with either the dock, the cable, or both-but I'd love a second opinion. Thanks.

Also, my car is a 2000 Ford Focus, if that helps.

Depending on your vehicle, you may need a ground loop isolater to quiet the electric feedback.But you are correct in recognizing that others also have this issue.

11tracer

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Interesting...would something like this also fix the poor sound quality that I get when using the coupler? Because the feedback isn't my only issue, unless the feedback is what is degrading the sound quality as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez