Long text messages / SMS being received as multiple, not combined

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
When I receive long text messages they are not being combined into one if they are over the 160 character limit. Instead I receive multiple text messages. Is there a reason for this or is it a bug?

Example, assume the above paragraph is slightly over 160 characters - I get:

When I receive long text messages they are not being combined into one if they are over the 160 character limit. Instead I receive multiple text messages. Is there a reason for this or is it

a bug?

Thanks

EDIT: I'm using the stock messaging app.

EDIT 2: You know what - now that I am really looking closely and counting characters and such...I think maybe I just have a friend or two who are trigger happy with the send button and manually sending another text with the word they forgot lol

Last edited:

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Long text messages / SMS being received as multiple, not comb

This is pretty normal for most smartphones. It was like this on the iphone until iMessage, but iMessage isn't text messaging.

dmoney17

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Any text message over 160 characters you will get two messages. That's a limitation of text messages, no matter the carrier. If you instant message with someone, there is no character limitation. That's an alternative route you may want to look at.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Any text message over 160 characters you will get two messages. That's a limitation of text messages, no matter the carrier. If you instant message with someone, there is no character limitation. That's an alternative route you may want to look at.

This

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Some phones switch to MMS rather than SMS when it's over 160. Going by what we've seen about how this phone handles MMS, perhaps it's best the way it is.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
My DroidX has always done that, so not a bug. Though maybe some phones/carriers have a way around this. Maybe theres an app that can fix this, at least from the users point of view.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

Verizon has converted SMS >160 characters to MMS for years, even on "dumb" phones (E815 for example). I would assume other carriers have done the same. I haven't seen a phone in years that split them.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

You know what - now that I am really looking closely and counting characters and such...I think maybe I just have a friend or two who are trigger happy with the send button and manually sending another text with the word they forgot lol

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has converted SMS >160 characters to MMS for years, even on "dumb" phones (E815 for example). I would assume other carriers have done the same. I haven't seen a phone in years that split them.

Interesting, my DX (obviously on VZW), still splits them.

Last edited:

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

Interesting, my DX (obviously on VZW), still splits them.

My wife just told me that her X does too. I know that my ooold 815 did..I must have gotten out of touch since then.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

At&t still splits text messages over the 160 character limit.

It, as mentioned previously, is a issue with data packet size on the network.

Some messaging apps, if used by both users could merge multiple messages on the receiving end, so they look like one long message.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

My Verizon Droid Boinic always split them also as did my Verizon Palm Pre+

kbr2

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue? Is there a certain app that performs what the network provider normally does? Is there a way to force an MMS (other than long pressing on the send icon and creating a subject). Since Fi does not support Concatenated SMS, every time I send a text longer than 160 characters, it gets split up before it gets delivered.

I really want to give Fi a chance, but everyone I know uses standard SMS/MMS to communicate (over Allo or Whatsapp or similar). I am testing it out for a month on a new number before I switch permanently from Big Red. And this is really close to being a deal breaker.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch