Anyone else eager to LAUGH at what apple has to offer Sept 12th?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Q
I'm sorry you find the need to accuse anyone who points out that you're wrong, or that Apple's new toy isn't the best in the store, of trolling. I'm disappointed.

Just for your information Anandtech just admitted they were WRONG.

In their initial article, they said this

" It's still too early to tell a lot but we have information on a lot of things. The image above shows two 32-bit LPDDR2 memory channels and three GPU cores. We're likely looking at a PowerVR SGX 543MP3 running at 266MHz.
UBM estimates the die size at 95.04mm2 and the manufacturer as Samsung."

First of all, they say nothing about how it stacks up to competitors. Second, note how they say "It's too early to tell a lot" and use the word "estimates" Even they admit it's conjecture. Here's what makes you 100% wrong. This is from their follow up article.

"The custom-designed A6 core is a big step for Apple, whose previous A4 and A5 processors for iPhones and iPads were based on designs adopted from ARM. The A6 is also based on ARM architecture, but after analyzing code, chip size and the architecture, experts have concluded that Apple has designed its own CPU from the ground up rather than licensing an existing processor design."

There you go. It's not made by Samsung, their conjecture turned out to be utterly incorrect. That's why it's conjecture. They also still said nothing about how it stacks up to competitors, as you implied. The only information we have about that are benchmarks. And in benchmarks the Tegra 3 with Jellybean wins hands down.

Please stop accusing anyone who disagrees with you of being a troll. I'm being civil, I'd appreciate if you could be as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Uhh the chip is MANUFACTURED by Samsung. So yes, it's made by Samsung. (and there are Samsung part numbers stamped on the chip, which directly match up to Samsung memory parts)

And its also convenient that you neglected to include the part of their analysis where they directly state that its performance is comparable to the S4.

Nice try. But you should work on that whole reading thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Can someone clarify when benchmarks matter? I've seen many a post comparing android phones that benchmarks don't matter, it's the actual real world performance, but when it's not in Apples favour the benchmarks are important and the end all.

Look, my iphone 4 which is 2 years old runs as smoothly for me as my SGS 3. Benchmarks are just numbers used to prop fanboy arguments.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

It's all certain fanboys have to fall back on. "Oh yeah, well my chip benchmarks faster than yours". Yeah, it might, but if the rest of the phone is garbage who cares?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Can someone clarify when benchmarks matter? I've seen many a post comparing android phones that benchmarks don't matter, it's the actual real world performance, but when it's not in Apples favour the benchmarks are important and the end all.

Look, my iphone 4 which is 2 years old runs as smoothly for me as my SGS 3. Benchmarks are just numbers used to prop fanboy arguments.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

They matter particularly in gaming, web browsing speed and intensive applications. Many benchmarks don't only test hardware, but performance. The efficiency of software can effect scores.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It's all certain fanboys have to fall back on. "Oh yeah, well my chip benchmarks faster than yours". Yeah, it might, but if the rest of the phone is garbage who cares?

Those benchmarks base the results off of software performance as well. That means it has faster hardware and faster software as well. That generally means it that it's a more powerful phone. I also noticed how you were lauding early early chip analysis and benchmarks of ICS devices that showed the iPhone 5 had better performance. I'm tired of the double stardard, and the attempts to downplay the fact that the iPhone 5 was released with inferior hardware to it's competitors.

It seems like a more accurate statement would be "It's all certain fanboys have to fall back on. "Well who cares about stupid benchmarks anyway."

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The fact that this thread is 24 pages long proves just how good the iPhone is.

More like how good their marketing is. This thread could easily be edited to fit how there is no real difference between MW, 2, 3, Black Ops and, Black Ops 2. Personally I think CoD fanboys make Apple/Android fans look tranquil.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
how bout the Exinos in the int' s3 vs the new iphone chip?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
how bout the Exinos in the int' s3 vs the new iphone chip?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

The quad core S3 won by nearly 200 points with jellybean and lost by 40 points with ICS. Performed about the same as the T3 against the iPhone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What benchmarks is everyone looking at? I'm looking at THIS article from Anandtech, and it's pretty easy to read the charts. The green bar for the iPhone 5 is at the top of pretty much every chart (when it's not, it's the iPad, and in one case the LG Optimus G with S4 Pro). So where is everybody getting any data saying that Tegra3 is faster/more powerful? Even the quad-core Exynos is slow next to the iPhone.

And since when were sites/people not allowed to make educated guesses about products before they're released? Being wrong doesn't discredit them. If anything, I'll give them extra credit for saying they were wrong. But none of that matters now anyway, since they have the phone in hand and have done the benchmarking. The only time nVidia has a chance is with Tegra optimized software, like stuff from the Tegrazone. Otherwise, it shows its age.

Also, how many warnings will it take for the personal attacks/trolling other members to stop? I'm personally done with warnings and will just hand out some temporary vacations next time it happens.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What benchmarks is everyone looking at? I'm looking at THIS article from Anandtech, and it's pretty easy to read the charts. The green bar for the iPhone 5 is at the top of pretty much every chart (when it's not, it's the iPad, and in one case the LG Optimus G with S4 Pro). So where is everybody getting any data saying that Tegra3 is faster/more powerful? Even the quad-core Exynos is slow next to the iPhone.

And since when were sites/people not allowed to make educated guesses about products before they're released? Being wrong doesn't discredit them. If anything, I'll give them extra credit for saying they were wrong. But none of that matters now anyway, since they have the phone in hand and have done the benchmarking. The only time nVidia has a chance is with Tegra optimized software, like stuff from the Tegrazone. Otherwise, it shows its age.

Also, how many warnings will it take for the personal attacks/trolling other members to stop? I'm personally done with warnings and will just hand out some temporary vacations next time it happens.

Sorry sometimes things get of hand Kevin. We appreciate all of the effort you and the rest of the team put into AC.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/09/geekbench-results-iphone-5-beats-galaxy-s3/

Ubergizmo says with ICS the S3 lost. With Jellybean it won. The actual numbers show that the S3 won by 181 points with JB and lost by 41 with ICS.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 5 benchmark: narrowly beats Galaxy S3 [geekbench] | Ubergizmo

Ubergizmo says with ICS the S3 lost. With Jellybean it won. The actual numbers show that the S3 won by 181 points with JB and lost by 41 with ICS.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to trust the Anandtech tests a little more, specifically because they do off-device rendering for the gaming stuff (this is what we care about right?), because we can all agree that the current high-end chips can run a UI smoothly. That particular article is also full of doubt. "weird for a CPU test" " The latter scored 1560 in the test (we suspect that this is the dual-core U.S version of the GS3)" <--- isn't this the same speculation you argued made the Anandtech stuff inaccurate? And then, they ask people to comment with their scores like that's going to be more controlled than the well documented and repeatable tests that Anandtech runs.

In a pure CPU test the OS shouldn't make a difference. Clockspeed would, though. This is why we don't like benchmarks around here and say not to use them to base any decisions of which device to buy on them.

I'm not understanding why this is an issue anyway, Apple doesn't play spec war games. That's why they avoid talking about it, and only say how much faster it is than the previous stuff, and how much better the UI will run, or what users can expect from the performance increase when they get the device. It's marketing, and it works. People don't care about clockspeed, or core counts, or what GPU the phone has, they care about what it will do for them. So Apple makes sure to talk about that (while knowing that they're also probably going to be at the top of the performance heap). What we do know about the GPU (remember, PowerVR is a known quantity in Android devices) it's safe to assume GPU performance is better than what we have so far.

Also knowing what we know about the S4 and what Qualcomm was able to do with the ArmV7 instruction set it's easy to see how the CPU performance can also be so high.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how those two conclusions are in any way being argued by anybody. Brand new architecture > 1 year old architecture (much older actually in the case of A9 designs) EVERY SINGLE TIME. How is it any different now that Apple is also doing it?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I'm going to trust the Anandtech tests a little more, specifically because they do off-device rendering for the gaming stuff (this is what we care about right?), because we can all agree that the current high-end chips can run a UI smoothly. That particular article is also full of doubt. "weird for a CPU test" " The latter scored 1560 in the test (we suspect that this is the dual-core U.S version of the GS3)" <--- isn't this the same speculation you argued made the Anandtech stuff inaccurate? And then, they ask people to comment with their scores like that's going to be more controlled than the well documented and repeatable tests that Anandtech runs.

In a pure CPU test the OS shouldn't make a difference. Clockspeed would, though. This is why we don't like benchmarks around here and say not to use them to base any decisions of which device to buy on them.

I'm not understanding why this is an issue anyway, Apple doesn't play spec war games. That's why they avoid talking about it, and only say how much faster it is than the previous stuff, and how much better the UI will run, or what users can expect from the performance increase when they get the device. It's marketing, and it works. People don't care about clockspeed, or core counts, or what GPU the phone has, they care about what it will do for them. So Apple makes sure to talk about that (while knowing that they're also probably going to be at the top of the performance heap). What we do know about the GPU (remember, PowerVR is a known quantity in Android devices) it's safe to assume GPU performance is better than what we have so far.

Also knowing what we know about the S4 and what Qualcomm was able to do with the ArmV7 instruction set it's easy to see how the CPU performance can also be so high.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how those two conclusions are in any way being argued by anybody. Brand new architecture > 1 year old architecture (much older actually in the case of A9 designs) EVERY SINGLE TIME. How is it any different now that Apple is also doing it?

Anandtech didn't run tests on any flagships with jellybean. Geekbench tests overall performance, so I'd value a geekbench test more. And they show that the S3 with Jellybean beats the iPhone 5. I'm going to download geekbench and see what my One X with JB scores.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
My One X with Jellybean scores a 1594 as opposed to the iPhone 5's 1600. When I clock it to 1.7 GHz it scores 1726. That means when not clocked on high, the One X scores 0.3% lower than the iPhone 5, when overclocked it's 7.8 percent faster. I don't have a Tegra 3 phone, but I'll run geekbench on my N7 which has pretty much identical specs to most Tegra phones.

Also, I'd point out that geekbench shows the iPhone 5 having 1gb ram, but the One X having only 673. This lowers the score and suggests that processor vs processor, the S4 handily wins.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My One X with Jellybean scores a 1594 as opposed to the iPhone 5's 1600. When I clock it to 1.7 GHz it scores 1726. That means when not clocked on high, the One X scores 0.3% lower than the iPhone 5, when overclocked it's 7.8 percent faster. I don't have a Tegra 3 phone, but I'll run geekbench on my N7 which has pretty much identical specs to most Tegra phones.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Keep in mind the A6 is underclocked to 1ghz.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm not understanding why this is an issue anyway, Apple doesn't play spec war games. That's why they avoid talking about it, and only say how much faster it is than the previous stuff, and how much better the UI will run, or what users can expect from the performance increase when they get the device. It's marketing, and it works. People don't care about clockspeed, or core counts, or what GPU the phone has, they care about what it will do for them. So Apple makes sure to talk about that (while knowing that they're also probably going to be at the top of the performance heap).

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty