Some issues with my new S4.

DaBone82

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello...

This is my first post here, but I have been following this forum for a while now. A week ago I finally switched from my 3 year old iPhone 4 to the S4 and so far I like it, but there are some concerns when it comes to the screen and the camera. First of all, when I go to Google for example (white background) I see that my screen is a little bit yellowish and the bottom (25%) is nice and white, this is also visible when I hold my phone in landscape and the keyboard is up. In that case the left side of the keyboard is yellowish and on the right side dark grey as it should...is this normal for the AMOLED screens or might there be something wrong with my phone?

Then the 2nd thing is the camera, so far I'm not really impressed...outside with good light the pictures look great but as soon as I step inside they are terrible...grainy and I can't seem to get a single sharp photo out of the phone. I have a 4 month old son and when I try to take a picture inside with light coming in from the window and he's barely moving it will still come out blurry...my wife has a S3 and this seems to work much better...picture is a bit grainy but you can see it's sharp otherwise. Is this also a common issue or should I just go back to the store and try to exchange it for a new one?

Thanks!

Blake Mead

May 21, 2013
Visit site
From my experience the yellowish tint on your screen is a result of the LCD manufacturing there was a story about a whole lot of Nintendo 3DS' having the same issue about a year or so ago. If I where you I'd contact Samsung directly about it to see if they will either replace the screen or exchange the phone. As far as the picture quality my S4 does get a bit grain in low light but not really to the extent you are describing so I really don't know whats gong on there.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My screen also has no yellowish tint, you should get that replaced. My experience with the camera is not as bad as you've described. There is a low-light setting, have you tried that?

Note 8.0

Pernod

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the screen, get it replaced. For the camera issue, did you remove the protective film from the lens?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

DaBone82

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Tnx for all the replies! I guess I go to the store and see what they say about my screen, little bit afraid they have to send it somewhere to be checked, but yeah if that fixes the screen issue!

About the camera, I read about the protective film on the camera lens before but I checked mine and I'm 100% sure there's no film on the lens. Here's a link with a photo I tried to take from my son yesterday, there was pretty much light coming through the bedroom window and he's basically lying still so I would expect the picture to be sharp, but it isn't. :/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdv6i3vayha359h/20130917_141628.jpg

Last edited:

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Tnx for all the replies! I guess I go to the store and see what they say about my screen, little bit afraid they have to send it somewhere to be checked, but yeah if that fixes the screen issue!

About the camera, I read about the protective film on the camera lens before but I checked mine and I'm 100% sure there's no film on the lens. Here's a link with a photo I tried to take from my son yesterday, there was pretty much light coming through the bedroom window and he's basically lying still so I would expect the picture to be sharp, but it isn't. :/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdv6i3vayha359h/20130917_141628.jpg

Run your finger tip over the lens surface and you will feel whether the protective film is there; even if the film is there, there's a circular hole in the middle for the actual camera lens, so it shouldn't be impacting image quality. I've noticed that using the default settings the camera tends to use a pretty slow shutter speed. Since you're basically holding a small, thin rectangle in front of your face without a lot of holding area to keep it steady, it's quite likely you're moving the camera slightly as you take a picture and with a slow shutter speed you'll get motion blur from the camera movement. I haven't tested all the modes to see which ones prioritize shutter speed, but sports mode does speed up the shutter speed, so I'd suggest trying it next time. You could also try "best photo" mode, which will shoot 8 pictures after you press the shutter button, then select the best from among those. Finally, if you select your own ISO setting instead of leaving it on auto, when you push it to higher numbers you'll get a faster shutter speed, but at the cost of more noise (grain) in the picture. Another way to get sharper pictures is to force the flash to fire, which may help "freeze" any motion, although I'm not sure this will work with the LED light from the phone as compared to a "real" flash unit, which typically fires for only a few thousandths of a second. Finally, you could stabilize the phone/camera by taking pictures with the bottom of the phone resting on a table top or some other stable surface.

Last edited: