Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is My Samsung Galaxy S4 all of the sudden draining so quickly

Ok, I know this is probably the most common newbie question, but i'm not a newbie, and I've checked most obvious reasons, but My Samsung galaxy S4, 4 months old, never let battery completely die, no apps running, minimal screen time (2min max today so far) is draining the battery way more quickly than usual. Took phone off charger at 7am, now its 10am and battery is at 75% and I have not used anything on my phone. Again, no apps running today. I have only lit up the screen for seconds at a time to check the battery life percentage. Up until 3 days ago it would never do this. Battery usage indicates the majority of battery is being used by "Device Idle" 35%, and "Android OS" 17%. Since I have not even used my phone today, the screen used less than 5% so far. ???? Also, I am connected to WiFi with excellent signal, same as always, as well as good 4G signal, as always. WHy the sudden change in battery drainage? This started Monday, and I haven't downloaded anything in about a month. Rebooted, no change. Pulled Battery, no change. Advice? I am beginning to think this is a conspiracy. ha. thanks in advance.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Why is My Samsung Galaxy S4 all of the sudden draining so quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Triago View Post
    Ok, I know this is probably the most common newbie question, but i'm not a newbie, and I've checked most obvious reasons, but My Samsung galaxy S4, 4 months old, never let battery completely die, no apps running, minimal screen time (2min max today so far) is draining the battery way more quickly than usual. Took phone off charger at 7am, now its 10am and battery is at 75% and I have not used anything on my phone. Again, no apps running today. I have only lit up the screen for seconds at a time to check the battery life percentage. Up until 3 days ago it would never do this. Battery usage indicates the majority of battery is being used by "Device Idle" 35%, and "Android OS" 17%. Since I have not even used my phone today, the screen used less than 5% so far. ???? Also, I am connected to WiFi with excellent signal, same as always, as well as good 4G signal, as always. WHy the sudden change in battery drainage? This started Monday, and I haven't downloaded anything in about a month. Rebooted, no change. Pulled Battery, no change. Advice? I am beginning to think this is a conspiracy. ha. thanks in advance.
    Welcome to Android Central
    Could you post screenshots of your battery stats? That would make it easier to see if anything obvious stands out

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Why is My Samsung Galaxy S4 all of the sudden draining so quickly-screenshot_2014-03-06-12-06-10.jpg

my screen had been on for a total of about 5 minutes at the time of this snap. That would mean that of the 32% of battery that has been used up, about 8% of the battery life has been used by the screen which was only used for about five minutes. Using these numbers, the phone at 100% charge would die in less than an hour if the screen were on and absolutely nothing else was running. Previously, that was not the case. Thanks
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-06-12-06-10.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	106948

my screen had been on for a total of about 5 minutes at the time of this snap. That would mean that of the 32% of battery that has been used up, about 8% of the battery life has been used by the screen which was only used for about five minutes. Using these numbers, the phone at 100% charge would die in less than an hour if the screen were on and absolutely nothing else was running. Previously, that was not the case. Thanks
    OK. Download the app "Wakelock detector." That should tell you what's keeping the phone awake and causing the drain

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Why is My Samsung Galaxy S4 all of the sudden draining so quickly-wakelock-screenshot_2014-03-06-13-44-32.jpg

phone is very hot. running slow. now WiFi won't even come on. What you think?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Now phone is inoperable. No screen, solid blue led indicator, unresponsive, and still hot. golly gee. something definitely wrong here. it was working just fine until 2-3 days ago.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Now phone is inoperable. No screen, solid blue led indicator, unresponsive, and still hot. golly gee. something definitely wrong here. it was working just fine until 2-3 days ago.
    That's strange. Do a battery pull and leave it out for a half hour or so. Then go into the G+ app and turn off any location services or syncing.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ok. I pulled battery the battery for a while and restarted. I turned off location sharing in G+. I don't see G+ at the top of the list in Wakelock detector anymore. Let's see if that solves it.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

maybe it had something to do with my sim card going bad also. I just lost 7GB of pics and video, mostly of my 2 yr old daughter. Card is coming up damaged on phone and it is telling me to format. might as well now. tried to get pics off through PC also. No good. darn. My own fault. I noticed it's been having problems for the past year or so. Its from my previous droid. It must be about 3.5 yrs old now.

GS4 has huge battery issues with overheating in Europe, but no reports here. I got mine back in June of last year and around October the battery started draining insanely fast. I could find no reason, so I went in to the verizon store. The person there told me I probably had malware or something, but I know what I am doing with my phone and this was not the case. Anyway, she said she could swap in a new battery for free, but that this would probably not make a difference and I could come back in a few days if it didn't help. Well the battery was the problem, new one works just fine. It's probably a bad battery.
    Triago likes this.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

maybe it had something to do with my sim card going bad also. I just lost 7GB of pics and video, mostly of my 2 yr old daughter. Card is coming up damaged on phone and it is telling me to format. might as well now. tried to get pics off through PC also. No good. darn. My own fault. I noticed it's been having problems for the past year or so. Its from my previous droid. It must be about 3.5 yrs old now.
    Aww man, that sucks. I have a guide for fixing corruption on SD cards. If you haven't formatted the card yet, it's worth a try
    [GUIDE] Using chkdsk to fix a corrupted SD card
    Did the battery issue at least get resolved?

Triago likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

thanks. Actually i ran a chkdsk on the sim card through windows (saw it on you tube), and it fixed enough for me to be able to at least access the card. I was able to recover some pics. And actually, a forgot i had backed up my pics on my work PC about 6 months ago. So it wasn't as bad as i thought.

Battery is still draining pretty fast. I think this may be a battery issue, considering the stats on the screen shot i posted. I will try replacing the battery. Please let me know of any other suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks all!
    UJ95x likes this.

Ever try app called Carat? It's from computer dept in univ in CA-they check what's a drag on system & make suggestions that will cause improvements. It takes awhile until they've amassed enough info to offer those suggestions but it's worth a try until your solutions are in. With Carat, you open the app, leave on only til the color completes along the top (later after all their data has filled their questions, they'll make suggestions as to how much more time you'll gain if you get rid of ??? or various fixes). Carat is free. Carat won't be solution this week but it will offer valuable information about the phone that's pertinent in this thread. If it turns out your issue is more complex than the norm, they'll take an email & return time is pretty good. Almost hidden at end is a forum that covers many issues. I've had it for couple years-the only challenging part with it is to open the app every few days just to update the info-otherwise, it is very easy. Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App

I have been experiencing the same thing since I downloaded a samsung update. Battery is dead in3 hrs without even using it.
    RedskinMom likes this.

Thanks so much for the suggestions on the apps! I installed carat and wakelock detector (actually found a wakelock termintor app I can use too since I already have Xposed installed), so we'll see if that fixes it for me...thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Abite2eat View Post
    I have been experiencing the same thing since I downloaded a samsung update. Battery is dead in3 hrs without even using it.
    I have the same exact problem as you. It was from an update this week too and my battery has been draining so fast. Even if I keep it charged it would be charging so slow because the battery is draining almost at the same rate as it is being charge.
    RedskinMom likes this.

I would charge my battery overnight to 100%. 4 hours later the battery would be at 10%. This has only happened in the last 2 weeks. My phone would also be red hot after charging After reading other forums I have done the following

1. Turned off motions and gestures and Air View from the Settings. I didnt really use these anyway
    2. Turned of Use GPS Satellite from the Location in Settings
    3. Clicked Power Saving Mode from the drag down menu
    4. Disabled sync in the Settings - Accounts for all the accounts
    5. Downloaded Battery Booster Lite
    6. Deleted the last 3-4 apps I downloaded - could have been a rogue app
    7. Turned off Wi-Fi when I was not in a Wi-Fi area.
    8. Deleted cleaner apps. Manually deleted cache etc from the Settings-More-Applications Manager

Nothing worked. I still had the same problems as before up until yesterday. I read on another forum that the sd card drains the battery on the S4. I took out my sd card. Simple as that. It worked. I have taken my phone off charge 3 1/2 hours ago. Battery is at 80%. Would have been down to 30% or less when I had the issues.

I have the same problem and my understanding is that this is a kitKat issue. I've been doing at lot of research and found from different sources that a lot of people have had some success by turning off location services but I don't want to do that. I use GPS maps etc and I want to continue using them. Plus Google wants us to connect with location services so they can sell us stuff . What I am unsure about is this also a Samsung problem, so does anyone know if other manufacturers phones are experiencing battery drain problems with KitKat?

Any chance you rec'd an answer for this. My phone is doing the exact same thing! I even bought an additional battery... now using 2 batteries every day and they are still not enouhg. I have had the phone for 6 months and it's just been the past 2 or 3 weeks that this started happening. Awww! Frustrating! Help.

I just did a live chat with Samsung. Instructions were: Set phone to restart... while its restarting continuously hit the volume down button (left side of phone)... (I had to try 3 times) and a black "SAFE MODE" box appears on the bottom left of screen. Charge battery to FULL and operate in safe mode for 24 hours. Hopefully it corrects itself... if not I was told to live chat with Samsung again.

Fingers Crossed!

Hi, I don't even have KitKat on my phone, nor do I want it. My youtube is not there I can't get back in to my videos I guess updated by itself. I've done everything I was told to do to make the battery run faster & not drain & not have my phone burning in my hand right now. I downloaded the Wakelock app. I don't know how to copy the screen shot I took but it said 92% was my display so I put that way down & I've always had power saver mode on & the other one is a hot pink circle systems manager operator easier if I can show you I don't know how. All my stuff is in dropbox. My storage is almost completely empty. I force stopped, uninstalled, eeetc. See that I'm getting so many xtra letters itt takes 30 minutes to write. I have a brand new phone not even opened because I have had 7 refurbished phones in 7mos but i will not activate it until this one is right. Emails texts calls don't go or get to me. All tmobile says EVER is Factory reset. NO! Last time they did that said oops your calendar for 2013 was deleted can't get it back. Yesterday my calendar was again jacked up just stock now. So major issues. Using 2 batteries right now charging now don't know what to do. Battery goes down Then all the other stuff goes wrong. Any advice would be appreciated but I will not factory reset this one til all my info on computer now & what I need Samsung to help transfer over is complete. Not all apps transfer stuff gets lost kiis worthless lost simple notepad. My phone is used for business. Friends don't know my #. Only medical legal related contacts & some family. My calendar is my life & they ruined 600 entries I have to edit again. I'm not saying my phone is more important than yours but if I lose info I won't have it when I need it for my lawyers drs SS, etc. T Mobile has been nothing but stress for 2yrs in Sept. That's how I got a free phone after sending back 3 I already had none worked. I'm not allowed to go in the stores I have Severe panic attacks cuz stresss is too much. Contract ends 1mo don't know what to do anymore. AT&T, Sprint nope both worse than this. Verizon 10yrs but added charges I had to switch. Sorrry so long no sleep 3 days pain HATE CALLING T-MOBILE have to see yet another dr today and sold house so have to move but not allowed to lift bend carry 2 story to 1. too many times last night worst almost fell down stairs dizzy. I just need my phone to work.

Unhappy Re: Why is My Samsung Galaxy S4 all of the sudden draining so quickly

i have the same problem. 3+months and all of a sudden this pattern has begun. have u managed to find a solution for this?

I had this same problem. After some time spent on my phone I found a game that when I downloaded it I gave it permission to start when phone is powered on and I also gave it permission to keep my phone from sleeping. I went to two of my college classes and my phone went from 100% down to 3%. Before my third class I uninstalled the app and charged phone to 16%. When I left the class it was still at 16%.

Absolutely 100% HATE this phone (I have the S4 Active) for so many reasons. If I wasn't stuck in a contract with a Telco as crappy as the phone (AT&T) I'd literally whack it with a hammer. Had it a year and it's been a problem pretty much since I bought it. AT&T say it Samsung's problem and don't want to help (only been customers with them for about 15 years - guess we just aren't loyal enough) and Samsung is useless too.

So.... I have just started experiencing battery drain recently. My wife's S4 always had a sucky battery life (Will check her settings today), but mine has been good till maybe a week ago (was there an update around 9/15/14?). Now it won't charge on the computer as it gobbles power faster than USB can feed it. Wall charging to 100% from dead used to take about 60-90 minutes. Now it takes 5-6 hours. It was at 100% last night when I went to bed about 8.30pm (didn't sleep the night before! ) and, at 6.30am when I got up, it was totally drained and had turned off.

Under Settings | More | Battery I checked what was using it. Google+ was one at about 36% and I noticed the phone had been wanting to connect to Google+ a lot recently - something I never turned on. Maybe it was always on or maybe an update did it. Gallery was one of the culprits of this. I found EVERY sync setting in it to Google+ turned on. Facebook the same.

However, the worst offender in usage was Android System, not Android OS, but System. What's the difference? Why should it use 68% v 2% for Android OS?

Roll on May and it's goodbye AT&T and goodbye to this useless doorstop phone!

I had a recent small update via ATT on my S4 and noticed the same decline in battery charge. A coworker on Verizon with an S4 has the same problem. I used to go all day without a problem, not the battery will go from 100% to 75% in an hour or two.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast