Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By liljonyeahh
  • 1 Post By GrooveRite
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 Group Messaging?

So I am a longtime iPhone user who is tired of the small screen and limited customizability. My iPhone 4S is due for an upgrade in May and I would really like to get the Galaxy S5. The only reservation I have is the seemingly limited support for group messaging on Galaxy phones. Can anyone confirm that group messaging works, particularly with iPhone users, on Sprint Galaxy devices? Also, do you guys think that the S5 will be a worthwhile upgrade from an iPhone 4s?

Default Re: Galaxy S5 Group Messaging?

Group messaging works on the GS4, I am pretty sure it will work on the GS5
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Does it work on Sprint? I have a friend with a US Cellular GS4 who can read group messages, but not reply to them and i do not want that to happen.

Global Posts
    7,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Works fine on my S4 as well. I'm using Hangouts as an SMS replacement.
    Also, to answer your other question, it will be a huge upgrade from a 4S

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Then it looks like I will be ditching my iPhone once and for all and be getting an S5!
    smooth4lyfe, Xzibit3 and NJMama like this.

Global Posts
    7,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by liljonyeahh View Post
    Then it looks like I will be ditching my iPhone once and for all and be getting an S5!
    Nice. Congrats on deciding to switch

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

I hate being in group messages that go no where but random and sometimes disgusting (depends who your friends are)

Quote Originally Posted by liljonyeahh View Post
    Just remember that the S5 isn't an IOS device. There may be certain things that you will miss doing on your iphone that you may not be able to do on the S5 but that doesn't mean that the S5 isn't better. It (S5) just does things differently. Proceed with an open mind and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JSanchez41 View Post
    I hate being in group messages that go no where but random and sometimes disgusting (depends who your friends are)
    lol I agree and know exactly what you're talking about, lol!
    DacyJ likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I use group messaging a lot to schedule work hours and for school assignments so whatever phone I get needs to have it working. I don't do much on my phone other than text, use snapchat, listen to music and occasionally twitter or a YouTube video so I don't think the fact that it isnt an iOS device will bother me. I feel like it can do all of those things just fine. Plus I like the waterproofing, which will get even better if I slap a lifeproof case on it.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

The native messaging app will do this just fine. Also, there are multiple third-party apps that do an even better job. I use Textra and it is much better than the iPhone group sms experience.

Posted via Android Central App

OK - I have a similar question, but for a Samsung Galaxy Light (not S5). HOW do you get group messaging to work???? I'm ready to ditch this phone of it cannot do this basic feature.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Group messaging works great with Google Hangouts. I use it all the time.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

How To Send Text/SMS Message - Google Nexus 5: . At about 1:45 it shows starting a group message.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

No group messaging doesn't work for me for 2 months now. I have a s5 and came from iPhone. . Everyone I work with has an iPhone and group messaging I am left out I don't get thrm.. so frustrating... I am going back to iPhone as the 6 comes out..

Group messaging doesn't work for me now either. It worked fine in the S3 and now even with group messaging enabled, text messages will go into the person's individual thread and I need to press download and only then (and only sometimes) will it turn into an MMS and move the text to the group thread.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

This is absurd I've contacted everyone and obviously saw the law suit against apple thst causes this issue... but for android yo have no play in this is just pathetic... 2014 and you can't group message cross platforms.. how annoying

Quote Originally Posted by tdub90 View Post
    This is absurd I've contacted everyone and obviously saw the law suit against apple thst causes this issue... but for android yo have no play in this is just pathetic... 2014 and you can't group message cross platforms.. how annoying
    I have the issue with both other android users and iPhone users so at least this issue is not on Apple.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I'm good with android users. I went to tmobile store and tested it with 2 other Android phones it worked fine. My issue is on apples end.
    Thanked by:
    ben71r 

I just got the S5 and was having the same issue. After about a 5 minute research, this is what I found and now it works. Go to: Settings / About Device / Status / My phone number.

If the number says "unknown", that is your problem. Call your carrier (mine was T-Mobile). They put my number in now it works.

Once the number is in your phone:
    Home Screen / Messages / Settings / Multimedia Messages / Group Messages ( check the box )

I have not had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Txgorilla View Post
    Home Screen / Messages / Settings / Multimedia Messages / Group Messages ( check the box )

I have not had a problem since.
    Exactly! Thank you.