Horrible battery life, can't figure out why

clayedwards

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I recently purchased a Galaxy S6 Active and love the phone except the battery life is terrible. I can't figure out why either.
I've updated to Marsh mellow 6.0.1, installed Nova launcher and my typical apps (same I had on my iphone 6 that I migrated from to this phone) but for some reason I'm only getting a few hours of screen on time. As it stands now I've got wifi and bluetooth on, turned off HD voice and scanning, and haven't really modified it otherwise.
I took it off the charger today at 7:30am at 100% and now at 12:30pm it's at 39%.
I've used 2 hours and 9 minutes of screen on time. I did some shopping on Amazon, played a few short videos on YouTube, did a little bit of web browsing, streamed about 20 minutes of music via Spotify (with the screen off), a little bit of Facebook browsing and for the life of me I can't figure out what's eating my battery so fast. That seems like a lot of battery to be used up for so little usage of the phone.
Performance has been sub-par as well. Kind of lags and hangs a lot. I've even reset this phone once already and reinstalled everything. I'm willing to do it again even though it's a serious time suck, though I'd rather not if there is another way to fix this. I've read this phone should get on average of 9-14 hours screen on time. I just wish mine would.

Any ideas what's causing this? Help!
Screenshot_20161018-122922.jpgScreenshot_20161018-122929.jpgScreenshot_20161018-122954.jpgScreenshot_20161018-122959.jpg

Sdfowler1977

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I don't have an answer but mine today or yesterday lost the fast charge option. I cannot turn on or off its just gone. My battery died really fast today. I used 4 different cords and fast chargers slow charging...again the on off switch and section is gone. On the cord at 35% 6h to charge but on my wireless fast charger it's 2h. Even though the times are reduced it still doesn't give me the fast charge notification.

clayedwards

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm still having battery issues but after resetting the phone back to factory and reinstalling just about everything it's working better, though no where near the projected SOT's I've seen in some review articles. I'm only getting around 6 hours of SOT. Is that good? Mostly from social media, web browsing with the default browser and Chrome, some youtube and maybe a little Spotify along with a few texts and calls. I've read that this phone is supposed to push 15 hours of web browsing (on 4G LTE at that! My browsing was on Wifi, which I believe uses less energy). Even Groupon claims that in their ad for this phone (see attached screenshot)
This article is claiming over 16 hours of web browsing Samsung Galaxy S6 Active battery life test
and this one is claiming over 12 hours of mixed use Galaxy S6 Active battery life test shows how far can 3500 mAh go

Can anyone help me figure this out? Is it unrealistic to think I can get these results? Or is there something wrong with my phone? I'm super frustrated at this point and don't know what to do. I've attached more screenshots of today's battery results. I've barely used it today (only 15 minutes of SOT with only 1 phone call and a few texts and I'm down to 65% at 6:30pm. (I took it off of the charger at 8:40am). That seems like a lot of battery drain for very little usage. I'm stumped. Did I get a lemon? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
Screenshot_20161024-183040.jpgScreenshot_20161024-183047.jpgScreenshot_20161024-183050.jpg
grouponclaim.jpg

Chan_1

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm still having battery issues but after resetting the phone back to factory and reinstalling just about everything it's working better, though no where near the projected SOT's I've seen in some review articles. I'm only getting around 6 hours of SOT. Is that good? Mostly from social media, web browsing with the default browser and Chrome, some youtube and maybe a little Spotify along with a few texts and calls. I've read that this phone is supposed to push 15 hours of web browsing (on 4G LTE at that! My browsing was on Wifi, which I believe uses less energy). Even Groupon claims that in their ad for this phone (see attached screenshot)
This article is claiming over 16 hours of web browsing Samsung Galaxy S6 Active battery life test
and this one is claiming over 12 hours of mixed use Galaxy S6 Active battery life test shows how far can 3500 mAh go

Can anyone help me figure this out? Is it unrealistic to think I can get these results? Or is there something wrong with my phone? I'm super frustrated at this point and don't know what to do. I've attached more screenshots of today's battery results. I've barely used it today (only 15 minutes of SOT with only 1 phone call and a few texts and I'm down to 65% at 6:30pm. (I took it off of the charger at 8:40am). That seems like a lot of battery drain for very little usage. I'm stumped. Did I get a lemon? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
View attachment 243557View attachment 243558View attachment 243559
View attachment 243560

Your phone is doing pretty good. If you want a longer SOT, you can disable some unused preinstalled Samsung app.

clayedwards

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
the only unused Samsung apps I have installed are memo and voice recorder, though I may keep voice recorder just in case. My Files seems like it wouldn't drain the battery and I use Samsung Gear for my S2. Other than that I've removed most everything I don't use, including AT&T bloatware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty