From the s4 to the s6 - miss the menu key

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
re:

Whatsapp does indeed have the "3 dots"/hamburger button, so you should not have any loss of functionality.

Coming from an S3, it took me a couple days of heavy use to get pretty used to the left button bringing up recent apps instead of menu. Seems like a better use of a dedicated button to me.

Wilt-Dog

May 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

I hate having to look around for the three dots, or be on the correct screen to find them.
I didn't even have to think about it when I had a menu key. I suppose the iPhone doesn't have a menu key either, so it must be a good idea!
While we're at it, lets get rid of the 'back' key too.

Last edited:

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
re:

I hate having to look around for the three dots, or be on the correct screen to find them.
I didn't even have to think about it when I had a menu key. I suppose the iPhone doesn't have a menu key either, so it must be a good idea!
While we're at it, lets get rid of the 'back' key to.

Might as well get an iPhone then

Took me all of a day to get used to the Menu function being replaced by Recent Apps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

While we're at it, lets get rid of the 'back' key too.

That wouldn't make sense to get rid of it. It made sense to get rid of the menu button since Google is going away from that due to all apps having the "..." button for the menu.. So it made more sense to have a button do something useful versus just pressing something that is already on screen for you.

cathbarr

May 3, 2015
Visit site
re:

Well it would just be redundant to have a hardware button pretty much tap the 3 dot menu on your screen since most apps have this now a days.

I disgree. Sorry but this is driving me nuts. From a user perspective: I was previously able to surf on my phone and bookmark / share via the menu key at yhe bottom with only one hand. With the change, and the menu in the top corner not the bottom, people can't surf and share using only one hand. You need both. An inability to adjust is not just a case of stubborness: one handed usability is important for many groups - from the physically compromised to the bored late-night-feeding mother. I sincerely hope a developer can offer a work around soon.

May 19, 2015
Visit site
re:

The lack of a menu button has significantly reduced the usefulness of one of my most used apps. And I'm not sure I've ever used the current button except by mistake. It feels like they took a good feature and replaced it with a worthless one.

dodgyd

May 23, 2015
Visit site
re:

Hi All

just went from s4 to s6 ... Didn't realise I was going to lose the menu key that I use all the time.

Try this - Long Click on the back button (1-2 seconds) seems to work as the menu button.

I have a few apps that think i have a menu button so don't show the overflow menu three dots thing. Anyway hope the above works for you.

Cheers
:D

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
re:

Came from a s4 to a s6 and missed the menu key for all about 10 secs. I hated having to long press the home key to open up the recent apps on the s4. I do a lot of multitasking and quicker I can jump from 3-5 apps the better.

If you want to lose both recent app and back keys.... go jump on the iFail wagon.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

The lack of a menu button has significantly reduced the usefulness of one of my most used apps. And I'm not sure I've ever used the current button except by mistake. It feels like they took a good feature and replaced it with a worthless one.

As mentioned before, contact the developer. On the GS4, there was the side tab with limited multi-tasking. Now that there is also some of the Note-like multi-window functionality, I definitely don't miss the menu button and it took no time at all to get accustomed to the More button.

Darlington Kandufa

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
re:

Hi there,

I have a new Samsung Galaxy s6. when I try to configure the APN with a new network name. and after moving through all the steps from setting to more networks to mobile networks to Access Point Names. I then wont see the big + sign or the three menu dots to enable me to add a new network name. anybody please help its a little frustrating

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

I feel so dumb right now. I used an S4 for 18 months and have no idea what this thread is referring to lol

The button at the bottom left of the phone that opens your multi-tasking window (the apps you have recently opened) used to be the menu button. Basically it would press the 3 dot menu on the screen for you.

De Venton

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I get split menu for two apps on my S6 active when I press and hold the multitasking button and nothing when I press and hold the back button.

Mr_Ricky_66

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

Not happening. What carrier? Unlocked International version?

That menu soft button is gone on the S6. What you have to do is look on the upper right corner of each individual app and look for the 3 vertical dots. Each app has it's own menu (for the most part..) so that there is no need for a dedicated hardware menu like before. Also some apps if you swipe from left to right (i.e.: Youtube) you get the menu that way as well

Russ Tanner

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
re:

I'm having the same problem. Some of the WhatsApp screens have the three dots. However, the three dots are for specific screens and not for the general app-wide settings. In order to use the WhatsApp web interface (web.whatsapp.com), you have to scan a QR code that is generated in the app-wide settings. There must be some sort of workaround??

Bionik-58

May 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

Little bit late to the party, just got the s6 last week to replace my busted s3.

Menu Button- Its not a matter of getting used to finding the overflow menu buttons in apps. I loved the options on the menu and the easy smash of the bottom left button for every app..including internet apps incognito mode.. Yes there are other ways to access this but to take out 15 menu options in a convenient place and replace with recent apps seems like a waste of a button. I would much rather hold down the home button to pull up my recent apps and clear ram/access options over accessing my camera.

:-\

Edit: having the recent apps there wouldnt be so bad if it had more to it.. to see only recent apps seems like a waste of prime real estate

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87