Charging issue already .... grrr

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think maybe my cradle may be defective, not even two weeks used.

Last night I put the watch on the cradle (at 10 percent battery) and this morning it was only at 75 percent. Then it seemed I had to go through hoops to get it to start charging again.

I ended up taking the cradle with me downstairs and I put it on a usb cable. It went from red to blue pretty quickly. I was out of the room so I did not see if it turned green in between. I then put my watch on the cradle to finish charging. I took the watch off the cradle and took the cradle back upstairs. I plugged the cradle back in and the led light was red again. It sat there at red for about five minutes and then turned blue. No green in between.

Why was it red for more than five minutes when it had just fully charged? The manual says red means 5-20 percent, green 20-80 percent and blue 80-100 percent.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I think maybe my cradle may be defective, not even two weeks used.

If it got from 10-75% the charger and Gear were connected. When both the charger and Gear are charging the Gear's supposed to take priority; meaning the Gear should fully charge before the battery in the charger starts to charge. When I first got my Gear there was some initial charging funkiness (whether the Gear or charger charged first, Gear not fully charging overnight) but it settled down and I haven't had a problem since. Some other things that affect charging rate/capacity: 1) the outlet itself, 2) the type and quality of USB cable/charger, 3) spikes in power across the line, and 4) VZW is way behind the most current version of Gear s/w. I wouldn't freak out yet. Although, if you want to play it safe, there's no harm in exchanging your Gear while it's under VZW's remorse period (assuming you're not charged for it).

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes my Gear Fit would not charge up but then I would see that it was not attached properly. It was just strange to be charged 75 percent. It almost seems it was charged 100 percent and then drained 25 percent. It is hard to tell because I was asleep. I am definitely changing out the charging cable, since it is so flimsy.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like the plug wasn't in correctly or your cord is defective.
The charger has a battery that will show red until IT is full, then turn blue and stay blue until you unplug it from the charger even if the watch isn't full. The battery built into the charger will add as much as 50% to your watch when not plugged in. Since you were at 10% to start with it sounds like the cord/charger base connection came loose at some point.
When plugging the oem charger in and the built in battery is full it will still show red for a bit before turning blue. I've never had anything but red and blue on my oem charger.
Btw, I use the cord from my Fit on my S , didn't even unwrap the one that came with the S. I also agree mine was flaky the first couple of weeks but settled down and charges also last longer. Now it's using about 40% each day at most. When I started reading about charger pins breaking I bought an aftermarket one that doesn't have built in battery and use it now for charges, only using the oem one to refill its battery if I do a refill when away from home because I forgot to charge it on the second night or using the built in music player for many hours in a day. That kills my battery in about 5 hours of music when using my headphones as well, about 6 using built in tiny speaker.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the plug wasn't in correctly or your cord is defective.
The charger has a battery that will show red until IT is full, then turn blue and stay blue until you unplug it from the charger even if the watch isn't full. The battery built into the charger will add as much as 50% to your watch when not plugged in. Since you were at 10% to start with it sounds like the cord/charger base connection came loose at some point.
When plugging the oem charger in and the built in battery is full it will still show red for a bit before turning blue. I've never had anything but red and blue on my oem charger.
Btw, I use the cord from my Fit on my S , didn't even unwrap the one that came with the S. I also agree mine was flaky the first couple of weeks but settled down and charges also last longer. Now it's using about 40% each day at most. When I started reading about charger pins breaking I bought an aftermarket one that doesn't have built in battery and use it now for charges, only using the oem one to refill its battery if I do a refill when away from home because I forgot to charge it on the second night or using the built in music player for many hours in a day. That kills my battery in about 5 hours of music when using my headphones as well, about 6 using built in tiny speaker.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

I would agree with your theory but it only took about five minutes for the battery pack to reach full charge after putting it on a different USB cable. Had the pack charged my phone from !0 percent to 75 percent, the pack should have taken a lot longer to charge up.

I am going to use a different usb charging this evening. Hoping it was all just a fluke of some kind.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I would agree with your theory but it only took about five minutes for the battery pack to reach full charge after putting it on a different USB cable. Had the pack charged my phone from !0 percent to 75 percent, the pack should have taken a lot longer to charge up.

I am going to use a different usb charging this evening. Hoping it was all just a fluke of some kind.
That's what makes me suspect the cable not the charger base.
Btw, if the charger battery is already full it'll be red for a couple of minutes then turn blue. Same if you charge your phone when it's already full. With lithium ion battery technology full isn't really full the first charge. They stop at a certain point and trickle charge so though your phone meter might state 100% if you take it off right when it changed to 100 it'll drop back down within a minute or 2. Then there's what's called a vampire charge. It's where the device is using a minute amount of energy but the charger technology will not initiate another charge, when left plugged in overnight, until it reaches below a certain threshold to protect the battery from damage due to overcharge.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The watch charged perfectly last night. I also received my spare battery yesterday so I will make sure it works today.

Jasp615

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problems so far with charging. I did order a new cradle that will only charge and not a storage pack. I will carry the storage pack as a back up and use the charging cradle as my everyday charger. I'm also getting the hang of using the cradle so I'm hoping it won't break....holding my breath. Time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez