Should I get a Z3?

Peter Bognar

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! In a month I can get a new device after 2 years on a galaxy S3, and after 4 years of Samsung Androids.
One thing I know for sure - no more Sammy for me... The question is: what should I get? I'll have the funds for basically any phone (it's a sponsorship deal for my blog, so I can get basically anything the sponsoring webshop has on inventory).
Why I'm leaning towards Sony:
- large battery (I'm fed up with charging midday - if a phone starts with 'barely getting through the day', after a year it won't, and then it just gets worse)
- sd card (16 gigs just won't cut for me, and the store doesn't carry 32-64 gig versions of eg. Moto phones)
- near-stock Android system (at least closer to stock than Touchwiz and LG's skin or the Chinese MIUI clones)
(obviously, the camera and water resistance are a plus, also, I hear you can use a pencil as a stylus?)
So, my question is - is there a caveat?
Could you wholeheartedly recommend the Z3 to me after using it for awhile? I'll probably be stuck with it for the next 2 years, so it's important to make agood choice..

Thanks, mates! :)

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! In a month I can get a new device after 2 years on a galaxy S3, and after 4 years of Samsung Androids.
One thing I know for sure - no more Sammy for me... The question is: what should I get? I'll have the funds for basically any phone (it's a sponsorship deal for my blog, so I can get basically anything the sponsoring webshop has on inventory).
- large battery (I'm fed up with charging midday - if a phone starts with 'barely getting through the day', after a year it won't, and then it just gets worse)
- sd card (16 gigs just won't cut for me, and the store doesn't carry 32-64 gig versions of eg. Moto phones)
- near-stock Android system (at least closer to stock than Touchwiz and LG's skin or the Chinese MIUI clones)
(obviously, the camera and water resistance are a plus, also, I hear you can use a pencil as a stylus?)
Could you wholeheartedly recommend the Z3 to me after using it for awhile? I'll probably be stuck with it for the next 2 years, so it's important to make agood choice..

I've only had mine for a day so I am still in the honeymoon phase of our relationship.. LOL

The screen is absolutely gorgeous! I have a Moto X (2014) and the Z3 screen makes the X screen look terrible! Last night I had my son hold them both side by side and asked his opinion on the screen and he said the same. The Z3 screen looks great! It's an awesome screen no doubt!

I like everything about the phone except it has a lot of Sony bloat on it. I've disabled a BUNCH of it and everything is working fine. I am coming from a Nexus 5 (pure Android) and a Moto X (2014) (almost pure Android) so I notice the bloat. Then again, what I call bloat another might say is a feature that they love and use so your mileage may vary..

I have the silver green and absolutely love the color! The green changes shade depending the lighting. Beware though, the Z3 is a fingerprint magnet! I am very OCD about fingerprint and smudges and am constantly wiping the screen and the back off. It is an absolutely gorgeous phone however..

I don't know if any of what I just said helps you any but that's my one day take on the Z3.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Well, you'll need a case and good screen protectors, its got glass in both sides which is just asking for trouble.

I have a z3, the only reason I'm hesitant to recommend is because of updates. The moto x will get updates faster than the z3.

Other than updates, the battery life is shockingly amazing, the camera and camera button are excellent. I hide the bloat apps with nova. I'm coming from a Nexus 5, I don't miss lollipop, I'm greatly enjoying being able to use my device all day without charging halfway through.

Posted via the Android Central App

ericlc2

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Best phone I've owned. Some of the phones I've used in the past: galaxy s2, s3, HTC one, Xperia z1s, lg g3, and the z3.

The battery life is phenomenal. I'm off the charger at 7 am on the charger around 11pm and still have 20% on average, with moderate use.

The phone is fast, minimal load times, and water proof is huge for me (work outside) you won't regret it.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Battery life on it is a game changer. It has changed how I use my phone completely. I now watch at least 1-2 hours of TV on it a day during my commute and it still never has less than 40% when I plug it in last thing it at night.

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I use a compact, so can't tell you 100%... But battery life is better than any phone I've ever had.

If you could make an S3 last for two years this Z3 will not cause you any issues.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
After switching from Blackberry earlier this year to the LG G3, I was getting bored of having to carry a spare battery or plugging in during the day (and the G3 isn't the worst battery out there, by any means...).

A friend of mine had the Z3 and raved about it, so I got one, and it's easily the best phone I've used to date (although when the Bold 9900 came out, it was amazing - but I digress...).

It's a good screen size at 5.2", and is crisp and excellent outside, even with my phone on 0% brightness with the ambient setting on. The camera is very good, but I would say that the G3 was better with it's laser-focus, despite lower MP's. Also, it over exposes indoors on auto quite often, but it can be manually adjusted to sort that. The 3GB of RAM isn't too relevant, but is higher than most devices. I've never had any lag on the Z3 whatsoever, and I had plenty on the G3 just before I sold it.

And then there's the battery - it really is incredible. I unplug at 6am, and download/watch vids or play screen-intensive games for 1hr to and from work, loads of FB & Twitter, calls, SMS, e-mails... the lot. The LOWEST I've got to at 11pm is 18%, and usually it's more like 30%.

The only thing I would says it that it feels unsafe - 2 lumps of glass are always gonna be a bit of a headache - so a decent case is important I think... Not necessarily a massive chunk of bouncy rubber, but at least a slim case, not least just to give you that bit more purchase when holding it. Caseless, I've even seen my Z3 slide on a wooden surface next to my TV just because of the slight vibration the sound causes.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes. You and everyone should buy the Z3 so that Sony will continue releasing phones in the US.

The pencil stylus was on the Z Ultra and rumored to be a feature on the Z2/Z3 tablet. I love my Samsung 10.1 Note and I was really looking forward to possibly having PS4 remote play and a stylus on a my tablet. However, the pencil stylus turned out to be just rumors. Once the price for Z3 tablet compact comes down a little I will be getting one of those.

ctrlhomer

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have only had a the Z3 for about a week, but did have the Z3v for a short time. The Z3 is vastly superior. I love this phone best I have owned. It is a very underrated phone which is disappointing. Yes the release cycle did not help and for not using "top of the line" specs. Get a nice slim bumper case, glass screen protector, and pick up insurance just in case. Also get the magnetic charger.

At 5.2 inch I feel its the prefect size with a slim bumper case included. I can easily do most things one handed. I had a Nexus 6 and a GS5 to compare, the Nexus 6 way too big and the GS5 has the same sized foot print.

Sony's UI is great not over the top, but with many features are very useful. Compared to the LG and Samsung Sony is light years ahead. I have not had to download many apps to fill in the gap of missing feature. Only one truly missing is a quite mode.

I have only had to charge 2 times with one 30 minute boost charge since getting the phone. I have had stamina mode I like how the feature works, mostly like greenify without root. I only care about calls, texts, work email when I have my phones screen off.

3.5 hours of on screen time at 54% 18 hours overall, mainly playing games. I went from Saturday morning around 10am to Tuesday night around ~11pm with ~20% battery left with 7.5 hours of on screen time. This was a very light use. I have talked about this battery to other heavy users at my work and they are shocked.

Only downside is the notification volume is very low. Which is a known issue. Other than that audio comes though crystal clear much better than my past phones.

Go for it I debated for months are what phone to get and when the Z3 was first released I almost got it but it was not yet available in the US, I really wanted the Nexus 6 but the size and not so great battery turned me off.

Update:
Sony released the latest update change log and volume notifications have been updated. I have not gotten the update yet.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I'll give my opinion coming from both a relatively new user to Android and from someone who has had the Z3 for just over a month.

First and foremost, the battery is amazing. Period. That should be enough to sell it. Though I'm not into major gaming I have used extensive amounts of data, played Angry Birds a few times (aprox 20 mins each time), keep GPS on all the time and use it with Google Maps and all those other normal things like email, Foursquare, photos, editing, Instagram and it had enough battery for the next day. That's what's amazing for me. I came from a phone where the battery was pretty bad and now I'm very happy.

The screen as people have mentioned is very nice. I find the size suits me (I have fairly large hands) and I'm not into huge phones. It's a light phone. The glass being on both sides doesn't bother me but get a case. I love the style of it. Call quality is also very nice.

The camera is something I'm still getting used to. I travel a lot and take a lot of pictures. However, I've taken some really nice shots with it and I'm really liking the functions.

The recent update was mostly bug fixes and if anything the phone runs even better now. I'm looking forward to the 5.01 update next year. :)

I really like this phone and I'm happy it's my first Android phone. I'm also liking Android as well. :) I highly recommend it.

ch3mn3y

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion the differences between z1, z2 and z3, are so small, that it doesnt pay.

Sent using R800i - AuroraPLAY/LuPuS_GB (RAM)

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
A few updates to my post..

I am on day 3 with the Z3 and have noticed my LTE singal is very, very, very weak! Putting the Z3 in the same exact spot on my coffee table as my N5 and Moto X (2014) the Z3 has one bar and -110dBm...

My Nexus 5 in the same exact spot gets almost full bars and -85dBm and the Moto X (2014) get about the same as the Nexus 5..

Also, I am getting horrible battery life! I have the same exact apps on all 3 phones and have everything set up exactly the same. Brightness, syncing, ect. My Nexus 5 gets about 3 hours of on screen time and my Moto X (2014) gets about 4 1/2 hours of on screen time. The Nexus 5 and the Moto X (2014) both have MUCH smaller batteries than the Z3. My Z3 is only able to get about 5 hours of screen on time! This is horrible considering the size of the battery. I believe it has to do the the very weak LTE signal I get on the Z3.

I am trying to figure out what is going on with the Z3 because I should be getting MUCH better battery life and screen on time..

ctrlhomer

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What makes the Z3 vastly superior than the Z3v?

I like the rounder edges that the Z3 has the Z3v was more blocky which did not feel right in my hand. Also with the limit case options. I have a great feeling case that fits prefect on the Z3 the Z3v was very limited and none of them were that great. Plus the screen is much brighter the Z3v I had seemed more dull at a ~50% brightness. The only thing the Z3v has is Qi wireless charging but beside that it was also not worth being on Verizon. Verizon puts a ton of bloat, service is very expensive, and the savings from being off contract will pay for the phone. Anything thing are updates, Verizon is not known for being fast.

I am pretty picky when it comes phones, I want the right case/screen protector, and has to have good value. $600 is a lot but its money well spent.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion the differences between z1, z2 and z3, are so small, that it doesnt pay.

Sent using R800i - AuroraPLAY/LuPuS_GB (RAM)

I just upgraded from a Z1 to a Z3 and there is a big improvement in the screen especially in off-axis viewing and readability in sunlight. I also prefer the rounded corners on the Z3 versus the 90 degree angle corners on the Z1, the Z3 is much more comfortable to hold. Adding to the comfort factor is the Z3 is a little thinner and longer than the Z1 which makes it much easier to use with one hand.

Guess I don't agree with your opinion, at least in relation to upgrading from a Z1 to a Z3.

Last edited:

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I like the rounder edges that the Z3 has the Z3v was more blocky which did not feel right in my hand. Also with the limit case options. I have a great feeling case that fits prefect on the Z3 the Z3v was very limited and none of them were that great. Plus the screen is much brighter the Z3v I had seemed more dull at a ~50% brightness. The only thing the Z3v has is Qi wireless charging but beside that it was also not worth being on Verizon. Verizon puts a ton of bloat, service is very expensive, and the savings from being off contract will pay for the phone. Anything thing are updates, Verizon is not known for being fast.

I am pretty picky when it comes phones, I want the right case/screen protector, and has to have good value. $600 is a lot but its money well spent.
Yeah, I was curious why you felt the Z3 was vastly superior to the Z3v, since they both have the same processor, RAM, OS, and GPU. Sounds like the stated opinion was more based on design preference and carrier preference, and a desire for more cases options.

So regarding the phones, one is not vastly superior to the other. Both phones are fantastic, and if you're on Verizon and have to stay on Verizon there shouldn't be any hesitation getting the Z3v. The biggest draw for the Z3v over the Z3 like you mentioned is the Qi Charging capability, which once you have it, its hard to go to a phone that doesn't.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The biggest draw for the Z3v over the Z3 like you mentioned is the Qi Charging capability, which once you have it, its hard to go to a phone that doesn't.

I've had several phones with Qi and I can live without it. It's okay in my book but it's not really a consideration at all to me.. I have the magnetic charging cable I purchased off Amazon for like $15 and it's fantastic..

Amazon.com: [ Magnector X ] High Performance Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / Z1S / Z3 Magnetic Charging Adapter for Micro USB Cable - Enhanced Magnetic Connection and Charging Speed [ Black ]: Cell Phones & Accessories

If the Z3 had Qi I would not complain but it's definitely not a feature that I'd require when considering a new phone..

AlfieBriggs

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
The camera maybe high megapixels however the Note 4 with lesser megapixels has way better quality, even the S5 and iPhone 6 do.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360

AlfieBriggs

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Another thing, battery life really is insane on the Z3 the stamina mode lasts longer than any other manufacturers attempt at the Ultra Power Saving Mode, I think you'll love the Z3.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
A few updates to my post..

I am on day 3 with the Z3 and have noticed my LTE singal is very, very, very weak! Putting the Z3 in the same exact spot on my coffee table as my N5 and Moto X (2014) the Z3 has one bar and -110dBm...

My Nexus 5 in the same exact spot gets almost full bars and -85dBm and the Moto X (2014) get about the same as the Nexus 5..

Also, I am getting horrible battery life! I have the same exact apps on all 3 phones and have everything set up exactly the same. Brightness, syncing, ect. My Nexus 5 gets about 3 hours of on screen time and my Moto X (2014) gets about 4 1/2 hours of on screen time. The Nexus 5 and the Moto X (2014) both have MUCH smaller batteries than the Z3. My Z3 is only able to get about 5 hours of screen on time! This is horrible considering the size of the battery. I believe it has to do the the very weak LTE signal I get on the Z3.

I am trying to figure out what is going on with the Z3 because I should be getting MUCH better battery life and screen on time..

I'd check with Sony on what's going on with the signal but yes, you would be correct in saying that it is the weak signal that would usually cause issues like this. Phones have to work a lot harder when the signal is crap so the battery drains quicker.

Also have you checked to see what apps are running in the background? I've noticed some are pretty bad with wanting to access data all the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty