Home screen scrolling lag

brysg2

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Does everyone else get a random slight lag/stutter when scrolling back and fourth through home screens? A friend of mine had told me that a few other s3's that he has tried has this issue as well. Most of the time scrolling back and fourth is very smooth, but at random it will slightly hiccup.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
On occasion I do but not an issue for me... like any other phone out there, none is perfect...

It may be too many widget on the homescreens that cause it to lag somewhat....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes, if there's a lot running and power save is on. I've heard Jellybean directly addresses this issue. Nice to see Google going for that level of perfection. Steve Jobs was obsessed with zero lag and fluid animations. Of course that's much easier to do when your device is locked down tight and you control/approve every single line of code allowed to run on it. Yawn... I demand the freedom to be able to brick my phone at any time, damn it! :p

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Since this is Sammy's flagship device, it will most likely recieve the 4.1 jellybean update, which will get rid of that, bit who knows how long that will be.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
When you install a 3rd party launcher, I don't think you can use the Touch-Wiz Widgets - with that being said does Nova have any widgets or nicely made widgets?

Nova doesn't com with any widgets not do they make any that I know of. But you can install any widget you want.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
So if I understand you correctly, I could use the pre-installed widgets that come with the S3?

Not necessarily. The tw widgets are tied to the launcher. If you change launchers the tw widgets won't show up in the widgets page on nova. You would have to find a way to pull the widgets out of touchwiz and somehow install them independently of touchwiz.

Not all of the widgets on our phone are tied to touchwiz but I know that the accuweather widget is.

Last edited:

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily. The tw widgets are tied to the launcher. If you change launchers the tw widgets won't show up in the widgets page on nova. You would have to find a way to pull the widgets out of touchwiz and somehow install them independently of touchwiz.

Not all of the widgets on our phone are tied to touchwiz but I know that the accuweather widget is.

Ok - thank you very much - I use latest and no longer being updated Launcher Pro with scrollable docking bar which I would like to continue to use and it is very smooth on my old froyo epic 4g (not touch) - do you think I might be able to use the Launcher Pro on the S3 on ICS? - Thanks again.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok - thank you very much - I use latest and no longer being updated Launcher Pro with scrollable docking bar which I would like to continue to use and it is very smooth on my old froyo epic 4g (not touch) - do you think I might be able to use the Launcher Pro on the S3 on ICS? - Thanks again.

Launcher pro was my old favorite but works VERY poorly on ICS. You can probably install but it won't run as well as apps optimized for ICS. Launchers such as nova built on ics code don't even run on gb, froyo or eclair.

Last edited:
Reactions: mouseglider

mobile79

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
For me, I found that the weather widgets cause the hiccups. I started with the Sense clock/weather widget, and also tried the widgets from AccuWeather, The Weather Channel, and even the Go Launcher clock/weather widgets. I have since gone with the Touch Wiz digital clock with no weather and the scrolling is smooth as silk now. Too bad, because I liked having the weather displayed.

Zymmit

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone, the lag bugged me. Nova made it better, but did not fix it. I rooted today, and adjusted the CPU to not adjust the clock, and always stay at 1.5. Smooth as butter now with a ton of widgets, and static wallpaper, or live wallpaper, and limited widgets. So my guess is the hicups are caused by the phone adjusting the clock speed late.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone, the lag bugged me. Nova made it better, but did not fix it. I rooted today, and adjusted the CPU to not adjust the clock, and always stay at 1.5. Smooth as butter now with a ton of widgets, and static wallpaper, or live wallpaper, and limited widgets. So my guess is the hicups are caused by the phone adjusting the clock speed late.

Can you tell me how you rooted? There seems to be a couple of different ways to achieve it. Do you think we will get JB when it is available, or do you have to be un-rooted to get updates.

My epic rooted froyo would get updates, but then it broke root and I had to re-root.

BTW, I think you are correct on the CPU ramping up from lower frequencies - although my epic rooted froyo works buttery smooth with stepped cpu frequencies, my old OC'd Palm Treo would have hiccups and lag on CPU wake up every once in a while.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11