Sprint Jelly Bean

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
For those of us in major markets, what difference does it really make since we're struggling along with 1G and 2G (and once in a while 3G) speeds, no matter what OS we're running. The transformation to Vision Network has been extremely slow and messy. It's scatterboard logic. Why would you not upgrade your largest markets first? Sprint says it's because of the great number of towers in these large markets. Duh! The more towers the greater number of customers (many of whom are ready to jump ship, if they haven't already). This not only affects phones, it also affects air cards, hot spots, etc. But Sprint chose to upgrade smaller markets first. I was raised to tackle the difficult work first, then wind down to the easiest at the end of a job.

I know we all want the latest OS ASAP. And, in their efforts to appease (and keep/attract) customers, I believe Sprint and Samsung will get Jelly Bean out very quickly. Perhaps even within a month of the European release, especially if Sprint really does get the Note 2. But it really doesn't matter much to the many of us who can't utilize the benefits of the latest and greatest if we can't get on the network half the time (and timing out requests when we finally do).

These are just some of my thoughts. Fell free to comment, tear them apart, or whatever. :cool:

Reactions: derek5l

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I hope you are all wrong. I unrooted from CM10 yesterday in hopes of JB being announced next week for Sprint sometime in September. If nothing is said next week, will root again and go back to CM10, period. The GS2 from Sprint took 10 months to get ICS and that is unacceptable when JB is here.

Just my 2 cents,

Ian B

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I would think probably by November. Samsung has had the JB for a while now and if it's ready to be released for the international version it can't be that far behind for U.S. carriers.

I do wonder why it takes so long for carriers to release these updates. I mean, what exactly do they need to test that takes so long? I know there's different frequencys on the radios and there's the CDMA an GSM versions, but isn't the SIII pretty much the same on all the US carriers. I believe it's the same hardware and software for all the U.S. carriers.

Although with this patent win for Apple I don't know what this means for SIII owners and future updates.:(

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I would think probably by November. Samsung has had the JB for a while now and if it's ready to be released for the international version it can't be that far behind for U.S. carriers.

I do wonder why it takes so long for carriers to release these updates. I mean, what exactly do they need to test that takes so long? I know there's different frequencys on the radios and there's the CDMA an GSM versions, but isn't the SIII pretty much the same on all the US carriers. I believe it's the same hardware and software for all the U.S. carriers.

Although with this patent win for Apple I don't know what this means for SIII owners and future updates.:(

Yes. The S3 is pretty much the same spec wise but GSM and CDMA are two totally different beasts when it comes to its radios. GSM usually gets the updates first for some reason. I guess Google likes the "GSM" acronym better. But there are many different factors why it takes so long. They have to make sure the hardware works and then how the software works with the hardware. They have to test to make sure there's no bugs....cough...cough...before releasing. Then they have to add thier own crap to it and test some more. I'm sure there's more to it but I'm sure those are a few of the things....

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Well with this announcement from Samsung saying that JB won't be released for a couple more months. I'm revising my prediction to January 2013.

Really sucks that the SIII mini & the Note 2 will have it and the SIII won't.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The press release said each carrier will let the specific date be know. So who knows. It could be December. We wont know until the carriers tell us. I truly hope sooner rather than later

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Shame... but it doesn't surprise me either.. Samsung did this with all previous Galaxy S devices...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I really hope it's soon for you guys. It's the carriers that cause this mess. Samsung did it's job, the upgrade works and has been tested but our US carriers still feel the need to toy with it further aside from throwing any additional carrier bloatware on the device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm sitting on the fence waiting for my upgrade trying to decide on GNex, SIII or LG Nexus. I've been leery about anything but a Nexus since getting my NS4G in July 2011.
I've had 3 OTA updates on this 2 year old phone, I think that decision has been made. Google goodness all the way for me. I wish we could have it all without the rooting and romming, but apparently it's not gonna happen.

What?!!...I'm msndrstood.
Sent from my NS4G on JB

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Well all I know is that the carriers wouldn't dare drag this out on the Iphone.

I don't know why they insist on screwing around with Android and further delaying the release.

I love my SIII, but next time around I'm going with a Nexus.

droid976

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Given the fact that Softbank is trying to acquire a 70% stake and (Sprint) will use most of the $$ to upgrade its networks....(should the merger get approved!)....Id say it will be awhile......and given the fact that here in Seattle most of Sprints crappy 3g phone service runs on Clear's (formerly Clearwire) WI-MAX network.....and sofar both sides have indicated they want nothing to do w/ Clear even though Sprint holds about 40% of Clear Stock I'd say we are in for a long wait for anything.....cause me thinks Sprint is EFFING BROKE! in more ways than one!

new edit here ---->>>
what a difference the overnight brings...according to an article in today's Seattle Times that Sprint "with the promise of cash from a Japanese investor" is upping its stake in Clearwire from 48% to 53% by buying 5% of Craig McCaw's stake in Clearwire for $100M.....the article has stated that "Sprint is Clearwire's largest customer., buying wholesale access to its network and reselling it as "Sprint 4G." But Sprint is also building its own 4G network, and has shown little interest in supporting Clearwire for the long term."

So what happens if the Softbank deal goes sour? id say both Sprint and Clearwire go in the tank! and there goes my internet and cell phone service!

Last edited: